Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

February 19, 2006

Visit to KING 5 TV

William Drescher, Design Director at KING 5 here in Seattle, invited us for a visit to see how they were using After Effects. It was a very informative visit for us. There were two things William showed us that I thought would be of interest to share here.

In addition to After Effects, they rely on Photoshop extensively. Part of managing the transition from SD to HD requires a lot of reformatting and creating multiple versions of their graphics. As you can imagine they also revise lots text in graphics for lower thirds. We got a brief demo of Tools for Television. It was very cool to see how this product beefed up Photoshop for video design. Since I haven't used the product myself, please don't take this as an endorsement, but what I saw looked useful and William spoke very highly of it. It would be nice to see these capabilities built into Photoshop (or made easier to do/find if they are already there) Hopefully, Mr. Nack will chime in here (or on his blog) about this.

The second thing we saw worth mentioning is that they have built a medals board motion graphic in After Effects that is used for their Olympic coverage. It was cool to see the template they built that allowed them to quicky swap out various animated country flags (using Zaxwerks 3D Flag plug-in), and names and then update the medal count. What was even more interesting to me was that they were playing the RAM Previews direct-to-air. It was the first time I had seen AE go straight to air from the timeline.

We are always looking for new customers to visit. If your company would be interested in inviting us for a visit, let me know and hopefully we will be able to arrange something down the road.

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 11:24 AM on February 19, 2006

Comments

editblog — 7:52 PM on March 14, 2006

I was wondering if you could expand a bit on the use of the RAM preview direct to air. Did these guys really trust the RAM preview? Were they working on that tight of a deadline that they couldn't render it out completely? Did their superiors know they were doing this? It seems a bit scary to me .. but maybe not to others!

steve kilisky — 11:47 AM on March 15, 2006

I can't speak for William, but he didn't give me the impression that they were concerned about this being risky/scary. I think they just thought this was a more efficient way to be able to handle graphics that were continually changing, or changing at the last moment, such as Olympic medal counts.

Matty — 5:54 AM on March 22, 2006

I invite you to Tel Aviv, to see how we cheated AE into using hebrew fonts and writing right-to-left
(Is there no middle east ("ME") version planned, like those that are available for the rest of the creative suite?)

Mitch — 7:42 AM on March 24, 2006

Wow! I'm hesitant to use RAM preview when I'm showing graphics for approval.

WIlliam Drescher — 12:35 PM on July 4, 2007

We use Nucleo Pro Spec previews and AE Ram previews in our production pipeline for DAY OF AIR sequences which ned to be fed in HD to our NEWSBASE systems. If needed, we can easily save RAM PREVIEWS, into a format for Thunders, Dekos, and other devices, but savign Terabytes of QT's which are being fed into another storage medium, is just a waste of drive space and creates all sorts of neraline backup headaches.
2 years, and it wors very well. Also, via our Xsan we are having one "master artist" saving the file, updating the data, and have several "production" artists storing the previews into the system. Think Olympic Medal updates and it may make sense. Check out http://blogs.adobe.com/skilisky/2006/02/king_5_tv.html if you are interested in more.