Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

June 23, 2006

What's Shakin?

Its been an interesting week. This will be my last post for a few months as I am about to embark on a 9 week sabbatical to stop thinking about compositing software and to enjoy several of my favorite pastimes, travel, wine, reading, and being a kid with my kids (much to my wife's chagrin). So this week I was busy making sure everyone new what I was working on and trying to wrap up as many loose ends as possible before taking off. Luckily the AE team is a well-olied machine and doesn't need me around to get things done.

Then on Tuesday, like everyone else I saw Apple's announcement about Shake repricing and end-of-life. My initial reaction was: "what took them so long?" Even Discreet realized there isn't a large opportunity for $5K desktop compositing software (initial price of effect). It will be interesting to see how Digital Fusion reacts (if at all).

My second reaction was: "$499 is a pretty aggressive price, but the low cost doesn't address the fundamental issue with Shake. In my opinion it is really hard to learn and use, and if you need to do animate anything it becomes even harder to use.

I am not trying to knock Shake. Clearly if you look at the track record of films its been used on it certainly is a more than capable product for film visual effects experts, but Apple's press release positioned it as a "plug-in" for Final Cut Studio. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

What does it all mean for After Effects? It means we need to keep improving the product, adding innovative new features (in addition to enhancements users have asked for) and keep doing the things that have helped us create a very large community of passionate users.

I'll be back in September.

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 7:39 PM on June 23, 2006

Comments

Philip Hodgetts — 3:09 PM on June 24, 2006

Steve, enjoy the well-deserved break and come back with a bazzillion ideas for making AE even better.

Philip

teletrabajo — 9:56 PM on June 27, 2006

Thats it, take some rest and come back recharged as new ;)

andy beach — 3:28 AM on July 20, 2006

have a great break and see you soon steve!

Trevor Coates — 4:07 PM on July 20, 2006

Might I suggest full integration of the FBX file format?

You have OpenGL support. Kaydara, Alias and now Autodesk have a Quicktime plug-in that supports FBX. Sounds like the basic building blocks for integration.

Imagine fully integrated 3D objects OpenGL accerated and rendered inside AE. Not too far removed from Motion Builder (two different horses for two very different courses) but fast!

Worth a thought, I thought.

Hope you had a good rest and welcome back.

Trev

Joey Morelli — 10:22 PM on August 17, 2006

Steve,

Enjoy the quality time with the kids! I look forward to the next iteration of After Effects with great anticipation. I particularly appreciate your comments regarding implementing User's suggestions to improve the application. When you get a quick second, please hop on over to the After Effects forum on the Adobe site and glance at the "WISH LIST" sticky on the top of the forum. We've posted some very good suggestions for application improvement. Thanks so much for all your wonderful efforts in making After Effects the best it can be :)

Sincerely,
Joey "silversurfer" Morelli

C. Wagoner - Graphics Guru — 7:21 AM on September 14, 2006

Steve,

I agree with you on Shake's learning curve. I know many post editing and special effects programs and systems. Shake may be good. But it's not great. For most people who will take a popular program, like Adobe's Suite of software, and drop them into something like Shake, compared to After Effects people won't even understand how to load a file. We'll see what improvements they make.

Keep Penning, Thanks.