Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

September 22, 2006

Favorite Shortcuts #1 & #2

A few of us were at lunch talking about AE and someone mentioned that they thought the SS key was an underappreciated keyboard shorcut. So this post is dedicated to the SS shortcut and its inventor.

Oh right what does SS do? SS is a way to solo all selected properties of a layer or across multiple layers.

My personal current fav shortcut is the tilde key which maximizes the panel under the mouse cursor to full screen. Great way to focus your attention on the Comp or Timeline panels. Not recommended for the info Panel though.

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 8:39 PM on September 22, 2006

Comments

Jonas Hummelstrand — 10:48 PM on September 22, 2006

For those of us with non-English keyboards, the tilde key isn't usuable until we go through some serious steps to hack some unicode into a settings file. I wrote a tutorial on this, the link can be accesses by clicking on my name or going to http://generalspecialist.com/

This is only one of several invaluble shortcuts that are deactivated on non-English keyboards. Want to trim a layer at the current time? Tough luck with a Swedish keyboard; you have to move the layer in time until you can see the end of it and shorten it manually and then drag it back into the correct time.

I hope that AE in the future ships with pre-modified shortcut files that load automatically at startup based on the current keyboard map.

Steve Kilisky — 11:02 AM on September 25, 2006

Hi Jonas,

Agreed, modifying keyboard shortcuts in AE today by editing the text file is less than ideal. We'd like to have a nice keyboard shortcut editor in the app. Hopefully we'll get to it sooner rather than later.

Roland Kahlenberg — 9:09 PM on September 25, 2006

I preferred it when the tilde was used to expand/collapse parameters/layers etc. Is there a replacement shortcut key for that? And my fav. shortcut is the Tab key.

rob Birnholz — 9:06 AM on September 28, 2006

Shift-Tilde is what now opens/closes selected layers.

Steve Kilisky — 1:58 PM on September 30, 2006

Thanks, Rob.

In addition, CTRL (ALT on Win) + tilde opens/closes all parameters applied to selected layers

Ko — 11:59 PM on October 27, 2006

I love the tilde key - but the other new shortcut that's getting a good workout is Shift-F3.

Alan — 8:06 AM on October 31, 2006

I'm a big fan of the "yoga" shortcuts. Those are the ones that involve both hands and multiple fingers. It just really feels like I'm getting something DONE when I use 'em :) For instance, ctrl+alt+shift+"s" to incrementally save your project, and ctrl+alt+shift+ "c" or "l" or "y" etc. to create lights, camera, nulls and the likes. Impresses clients if they're looking over your shoulder, too!