Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

January 3, 2007

Back to the Mac

It's been kinda lonely at Adobe with After Effects being the only digital video/audio app on the Mac. Well I won't have to go alone any longer on press briefings to the Mac publications now that we've announced that the next version of the Adobe Production Studio will be cross-platform.

It was a very difficult business decision to go Windows only when we decided to start with a clean sheet of paper to develop Premiere Pro 1.0. We also believed that if we were successful in developing a strong integrated workflow around After Effects, Premiere, Encore, Photoshop, Illustrator, and more recently Flash, that customers on both Mac & Win no matter which NLE they chose to use would hopefully see the value in the Adobe post production solution and we could make a strong business decision to return to being cross-platform.

For me the defining moment was the launch event for the current version of the Adobe Production Studio at MGLA last year. I remember 3 or 4 years ago when we presented Premiere 6.5 (or maybe it was Premiere Pro 1.0) and After Effects at MGLA it was strongly suggested we demo AE after Premiere in order to ensure people wouldn't skip out on Premiere and leave after the AE demo. The next time, we showed Premiere Pro 1.5 and we actually had a handful of customers ask for a Mac version. Good sign...

Fast Forward to Jan of last year and with the maturity of Premiere Pro 2.0 and Encore 2.0 combined with Adobe DynamicLink, I was pleasantly surprised when roughly half of the audience raised their hands to indicate they wanted to see Production Studio be cross-platform. Very good sign...

With the upcoming new release of Production Studio later this year, our goal is to continue to set the standard in terms of delivering the strongest integrated post production workflow. I'll get off my soapbox now, I'm just so glad to be able to share this news and happy to welcome my brethren products to the Mac. I'm also hoping that this will put to rest once and for all the conspiracy theories that AE was going to abandon the Mac as well! Now what about Linux...

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 10:15 PM on January 3, 2007

Comments

Stephen Schleicher — 6:14 AM on January 4, 2007

Great News! Glad to see Adobe move Premiere back to the Mac and including the whole studio as well. Reminds me of the interview we did a few years ago, where you said specifically, "Adobe has not abandoned the Mac".

Kudos!

Cheers
Stephen Schleicher
www.stephenschleicher.com

Rob — 9:13 AM on January 4, 2007

I'm really excited about the production studio being available for Mac! I love using Premiere on my PC at home and to finally have the ability to use more than just AE on the Mac would be great! Do you know anything about if it would be possible for me to upgrade my current software (all windows based) to Mac? i've been waiting to upgrade because i'm not sure what to upgrade to. I want to go Mac because i like a lot of aspects of the OS, but all my sofware is PC based and would cost a few thousand bucks to buy new licenses! if it'll be possible to upgrade across to the mac that would save me some serious cash and be the option i had been hoping for!

Adam Betker — 11:07 AM on January 4, 2007

I am excited for this "new" MAC package. However I want to strongly encourage adobe to offer an upgrade to the Production suite. We have several workstations in the past year where we purchased Photoshop, Illustrator, and AEFX. I felt like MAC users didn't get a fair package comparable to the PC users. Perhaps by providing a few serial numbers for our current products we could BUY an upgrade that would actually be a complete suite. - AKB

steve kilisky — 11:36 AM on January 4, 2007

Rob,

We haven't announced upgrade paths or pricing yet, so I can't comment about whether we'll be offering this option. What you are asking for seems reasonable, but I'm not the decision maker on this.

Adam,
On Windows, we currently have an upgrade price for existing owners of Photoshop and After Effects to the Production Studio. While we haven't announced anything for the next release, I'd be surprised if a similar option wasn't available.

Thanks for your comments,

Steve

John Dickinson — 11:52 AM on January 4, 2007

When I first heard that these great applications were coming back to the Mac I was thrilled. At last now I can talk about it! One thing to remember is that Premiere Pro, Encore and Soundbooth will only be available to those Mac users with Intel Macs. Only AE will be Universal.

Ko — 11:57 AM on January 4, 2007

EXCELLENT NEWS STEVE!

It won't be lonely at the top for AE anymore!

Dynamic link is not only a boon to editors, I'm going to be excited to see what Encore has to offer to all of the interactive AE designers as well.

Rockin'

Jack Smith — 8:20 PM on January 4, 2007

I would have been one of those 4 years ago to ask for PP on the Mac. The problem is a little program called Final Cut Pro that we switched to. While still interested in seeing what the PP team turns out, you are going to have to make something VERY special to convince us to switch back. Bummer when you turn your back on your customers once.

Peter Kahn — 6:40 PM on January 19, 2007

I'm with the others on these comments. Very much looking forward seeing a Mac version of the Production Studio, particularly Premiere and Encore. The affinity with the other Adobe products along with Dynamic Link and ClipNotes makes for a compelling reason to take a look at what will gets released.

Along with technical reasons comes the question of pricing and upgrades. I still have my old version of Premiere for the Mac as well as multiple upgrades of After Effects. Run Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and everything else that Adobe makes for the Mac. As a Mac user, I have bought everything Adobe sells. Will be interested to see how this factors into Production Studio pricing for Mac loyalists like myself.

Just like some at Adobe, I was very disappointed when Adobe left the Mac platform for Windows and understand the business reasons for that decision. At the same time, users have had to make business decisions as well. Many of us have built out a production pipeline around Final Cut Studio and been quite happy.

Does Production Studio fit into this type environment? Possibly, but there needs to be recognition by Adobe that it will be a hard sell to ask Mac users to start all over again with new license list pricing for the box. So, here's a message back to the business leaders at Adobe. For Mac users to bring the full Production Studio into an FCP-centric workflow, it will take some serious convincing and one of the motivators needs to be affordability.