Steve Kilisky's Dynamic Media Blog

March 22, 2007

A Gathering for AE users in NYC

The new AENY User Group will be having their monthly meeting on the 29th here. I am glad that my crazy travel schedule worked out enabling me to participate at this meeting.

I love going to AE user group meetings for two reasons: 1) I am in awe whenever I see the amazing things creative people (unlike myself) can do with After Effects and 2) I love the energy!. The AE users who attend user groups tend to be our most passionate users and are full of great ideas on how to improve the product and aren't shy about telling you (also nice to receive a few kudos as well).

In this new era of more open communication, I am happy to say that I will be showing some "exciting new software". I wonder what that will be?

While it won't be the first public look at this "exciting new software" (that happens on the 27th here); it will be the first in-depth look. The nice thing about showing "new" software is that for a brief moment in time, I know more about the product than the people who use it day in and day out.

If you happen to be in the vicinty, I hope you can make the meeting. Andrew Kramer is also presenting and I'm sure he will be showing some very cool techniques, tips, and tricks using After Effects.

Posted by Steve Kilisky at 5:23 PM on March 22, 2007

Comments

Anonymous — 10:05 AM on March 29, 2007

The adobe AE page does not say anything about nodes or rotoscoping and tracking tools -have they made it in? Puppet, brainstorm etc are great but the core toolset needs to be solidified like Great color tools, 32 bit pipleine pieces that have been added. Please add nodes, roto and tracking!

Neil — 10:30 PM on March 29, 2007

I know this comment doesn't apply to this post but I couldn't find anywhere else to ask. :-)

Is Adobe working on Windows 64-bit support for AE CS3 (and/or other CS3 products)?

I was disappointed and surprised that the system requirements web page states that AE CS3 is only certified for 32-bit editions of Vista.

Have you tested it on 64-bit Vista or XP x64?

I've been using AE7 on XP x64 without any issues (that I'm aware of!), so I had hoped that it was going to be easy to support Vista 64-bit.

------------------------------------
Hi Neil,

Win 64 OS is supported with AE CS3 running as a 32-bit app. If you are run on Win 64 AE CS3 will now support up to 4 GB of RAM per process.
sk

just someone — 8:14 AM on March 30, 2007

So I went to the AENY presentation last night, and overall it was cool. Aahron and Andrew have their acts together, and the group is fun to bounce around ideas. I love hearing about all the new features in AE CS3 and the new collection of apps too. Some sweet software, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. But MAN -- if Adobe's going to send someone to tout their new gear, you'd think they'd send someone who doesn't seem to have a massive chip on his shoulder because he's about to be not working there anymore! Steve, I'm all for self-deprecating humor and the occasional low-blow to your boss for a laugh, but was I the only one in the room who just wanted you to stop griping about your lack of a gig and show us the features? Also, to whoever kept farting next to me: dude - get some Beano. That was horrid.

------------------------------
I appreciate the feedback. Apologies if my lame jokes came off as a chip on my shoulder, that was the farthest thing from my mind. I'm no leaving Adobe, just moving on to other responsibilities.

Steve

jim — 8:10 PM on April 2, 2007

isn't it funny when someone needs to talk trash they can never put their real name or contact info .
it aint easy no matter how well you know the software to get up in front of 150 people with software that just came out.

anon2 — 5:02 PM on April 3, 2007

Got a kick of Jim not using his full name while critisizing someone else for not using theirs! Come on Jim!!!
------------------------------------------------------------
Got a chuckle from me as well. At least he uncloaked on his 2nd post.