Adobe has just released the Cp-HTML5 converter. This simple application helps you get an HTML5 output of your Captivate SWFs in a jiffy so that you can facilitate the use of your Captivate courses on mobile devices that do not support Flash content.
Here’s some information to help you get started.
On which platform and with which version of Captivate can I use this converter?
Adobe Captivate 5.5 on Windows. No support for Mac yet.
Does that mean I can’t convert the SWFs created with previous versions of Captivate?
You can convert SWFs created with previous versions of Captivate (3, 4, and 5). First upgrade the projects by opening them in Captivate 5.5 and saving them. You can then publish these projects from Cp 5.5 as SWFs and then use the SWFs for conversion.
What are the prerequisites to download and use this converter?
- Adobe Captivate 5.5. To install a trial version, click here.
- AIR 2.5 and later. To download, the latest version of AIR, click here.
- To stream the HTML5 videos, H264 video streaming module must be installed on the Apache server.
- IIS server – just place the content in web root and access it through device.
From where do I download the Cp-HTML5 converter?
You can download the converter from Adobe Labs.
How do I install and configure the converter?
Double-click the exe file that you downloaded from Adobe labs. After the converter installs, perform the following steps before loading your SWF file:
- Copy the DumpVideo.exe in the Assets folder (
/Cp-HTML5 Converter) and paste it to the Adobe Captivate 5.5 installation folder.
- Open the Externals.txt file in the Assets folder in notepad or Wordpad. Ensure that the ‘new’ location of the DumpVideo.exe file in the Adobe Captivate 5.5 installation folder is mentioned correctly.
- Now, you are ready to load your Captivate SWF file.
For a video demonstration on how to use the converter, see this excellent blog post by Pooja.