Vine –- The new kid on the block. We all like new toys to play with but does this one add value to a brand’s marketing efforts? We take a look…
What is Vine?
Vine is a new app launched by Twitter. According to them, it “lets you create and share beautiful, short looping videos” that will play directly in your Twitter or Vine news feed (Vines uploaded to Facebook will play in another window). These videos are limited to six second loops but you can stop and start the recording at will, so you can shoot in tiny sections like a flick book if you wish and videos are shareable if uploaded to a social network.
Can we really create good video content in six seconds?
Urban Outfitters shared a simple video that will appeal to one of their core demographics.
Bacardi UK have been demoing cocktails made with their drink, and inviting further engagement by asking followers what they’d like to see next.
Everyone had the same reservations about Twitter, how could we possibly say what we needed in 140 characters or less? We soon saw that the real beauty of Twitter was exactly that limitation — it forced you to creative and concise.
Brevity is particularly important online as a readers attention span is short. So when it comes to Vine, six seconds is pretty perfect for someone whizzing through their Twitter feed and this means that the right content could be incredibly shareable.
How can brands can use it?
- Behind-the-scenes clips — share a snapshot of a day in the life of your brand or the history behind your brand
- Demo your products in six seconds!
- Show sneak peeks of upcoming products, announcements or new advertisements
- Create a Vine competition where your fans submit the content to Twitter using a specific hashtag
- Let your staff get creative! See what content they can come up with that might be interesting to your fans and customers. Maybe they can answer common questions or share tips?
- Endorsements! Film your happy customers recommending your brand! (With their permission of course) Or ask them to submit Vines to you, for you to share.
If you decide to use Vine as a content creator for your brand, above all, remember that Vine is like any other medium you would use to create content. Make sure your videos are creative, shareable and relevant to your audience, and continue to test what works best for your community. Your content should still be high quality, even if it’s in six-second snapshots.
- Make your Vine visually exciting and creative
- Ensure the message is on-brand
- Ensure it has a message! Whether that’s promoting office culture, or showcasing a new product – it should have value for the both the brand and the viewer
- Include tags/hashtags to make your content searchable
- Share on other social platforms to ensure maximum visibility
Still need some inspiration? Check how other brands are already using it — http://brandsonvine.com/