Adobe Flash Player Background Updater for Mac is live!

It is with great excitement that we released Flash Player 11.3 today. One element of this release is the immediate availability of the Background Updater for Mac!

The Background Updater on Mac works in much the same way as on Windows, with the difference that it uses a LaunchDaemon instead of a scheduled task and Windows service. After opting into the Background Updater during the installation, the Background Updater will trigger an update check with actual network traffic every 24 hours if the system remains connected to the Internet. If an update is found, it will be applied silently in the background.

As always, I’m looking forward to your feedback and questions in the comments section!

21 Responses to Adobe Flash Player Background Updater for Mac is live!

1. Pingback: Flash update for Mac adds silent background updating | WestPenn Journal

2. Pingback: Flash update for Mac adds silent background updating | Partners In Sublime

3. One thing I really dislike about the previous Flash updater was the requirement that I restart my browser to complete the install. I hope that the new updater removes this requirement, though I don’t really expect this. Please at least tell me that the new background updater will not restart my browser without warning…

• Stephen Pohl says:

Hi David,

Yes, I will gladly confirm that the Background Updater will not restart your browser without warning. In fact, we completely did away with the requirement to close your browser when a background update occurs. The Background Updater will silently install the new update in the background and the new Flash Player will be loaded after a browser restart at the latest, if not during an open browser session (this varies between browsers).

4. Frank says:

Every 10 seconds flashupdater runs and writes these lines to the condole log..

6/12/12 6:52:36 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.flashupdater[1138]) posix_spawn(“/usr/libexec/Flashupdater”, …): No such file or directory
    6/12/12 6:52:36 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.flashupdater[1138]) Exited with exit code: 1
    6/12/12 6:52:36 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.flashupdater) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

This has been happening for some time. I just downloaded and installed the latest mac flash player (11,3,300,257 ) but no change.

Once an hour I could live with. But not every 10 second.

What can I do short of deleting all files with “flashupdater” in them?

• Frank says:

PS – OSX 10.6.8 / 21″ iMac Core2Duo – Safari / Chrome / Firefox – latest versions

• Stephen Pohl says:

Hi Frank,

com.apple.flashupdater is not a product developed by Adobe. You might want to post this information to an Apple forum. This could be software that is pretending to be Apple software, but isn’t. No matter what, you will want to get support from Apple on this one.

I hope this helps.

-Stephen

5. Frank says:

Thanks – found the answer here:

Its an apple tool that someone forgot to test on a case sensitive file system!

Frank

6. Pete says:

Hi there,
    I have just updated flash on my Mac and when I restarted the computer the process “flashupdater” is using 95-99% CPU, 900MB of RAM and almost 2GB of virtual memory! If I force quit the process it just restarts immediately! Can you please offer some help??
    Thanks

7. cd600 says:

Am I correct to assume that this will not work on a user profile without admin rights?
    It does work beautifully on an account with admin rights. Without I don’t see any change. If I click Check it will detect and ask me to install a new one but eventually requires admin rights.

• Stephen Pohl says:

Hi cd600,

This updating mechanism requires admin rights to first be installed. However, updates will then be performed in the background irrespective of the profile used. This means that if you have users without admin rights, they too will get the benefits from the latest Flash Player updates.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

• Sam Stigler says:

Hi Stephen,

I understand that there was a silent update issue in 11.3 for Mac that was later supposed to be fixed in the 11.4 update….. Can you please confirm whether it now reliably (and silently) auto-installs updates when logged in as a non-admin user? We’re running Mac OS X v10.7.4 and later.

• Stephen Pohl says:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for checking in! Yes, the issue that you’re referring to has indeed been fixed. If the Background Updater is enabled, it will update Flash Player regardless of the type of user currently logged in (admin, non-admin).

Hope this helps!

-Stephen

8. No Spam says:

and apparently it works better than the Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 they foisted off on PC users (which still crashes every time it tries to run on my XP PC). The only solution I have seen on the Player support forum so far is “disable the updater”.

[ Yes, I know I’m in the wrong forum. I’m not seeing any progress elsewhere so thought I’d come over and see if there’s a beehive over here that might be able to pollinate the problem! And, kudos BTW on the new addition, Stephen. ]

9. Jesse says:

When does it check for updates? I know it’s supposed to do so once every 24 hours, but how do we know when it does so? Does it matter if the computer is on or off (if scheduled at 2:00 am, does it NOT check when booted the next morning because it missed the time?) Is there any way to kick off the check in to see if there’s an update? I have checked allow updates to be installed, yet it has not done so yet. Can the check in time be modified?

Thanks!

Jesse

• Stephen Pohl says:

Hi Jesse,

The Background Updater will do all this for you. If your computer is off at the time that it is scheduled to check, it will do so the next time that the computer is turned on.

In order to check for updates manually, you can do either of two things:
      1. Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about and check that you have the latest player installed. If this isn’t the case, you can get the latest Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.
      2. You can open the Flash Player Settings Manager in the Windows Control Panel. Select the Advanced tab and click the button to check for updates.

I hope this helps.