Spry 1.6.1 released to Labs

Hi Spry:fans,

I wanted to talk about our freshly released Spry 1.6.1 update.

This release was based on changes we wanted to do to be compatible with the just released AIR 1.0. We needed to make some changes to the way our processing worked. That plus the raft of big fixes we made, plus the new Rating widget, deemed that we update the zip so everyone has the latest.

So as far as Spry and AIR go, the big things are: We can’t run eval() in the AIR space . This means that any spry:if or spry:test can’t be run directly. Also, adding event handlers after the onLoad event won’t work. So all onclick=”ds1.setCurrentRow():” type of things have to be done using an onPostUpdate REGION observer.

The solution we used also solved a long standing data issue and gives developers a great deal of flexibility with their data references.

A spry:if can now be handled with something like:

<script>

function checkName(rgn, doIt)
{
return doIt(‘{name}’) == ‘Adobe Photoshop’;
}

</script>

<div spry:if=”function::checkName”>

But even better is that you can make custom data references like so:

<script type=”text/javascript”>

function FormattedPrice(region, lookupFunc)
{
return “$” + parseInt(lookupFunc(“{ds1::price}”)).toFixed(2);
}
</script>

<div spry:region=”ds1″>
<ul spry:repeatchildren=”ds1″>
<li>{name} – {function::FormattedPrice} </li>
</ul>
</div>

Notice the {function::FormattedPrice} data ref. This method allows you to easily do data formatting!

We have added a simple sample that shows this working, and have updated the API docs to explain this new methodology.

As I have posted before, we also are releasing the Rating widget for real.

Also, check out some of the good fixes in the Changelog.

Thanks,

Don

9 Responses to Spry 1.6.1 released to Labs

1. Gary Gilbert says:

Thanks a lot for posting this, I was scratching my head on how to go about this within AIR!The walk-through you provided is exactly what I needed.

2. The link on the Adobe site to the Spry Update Extension for 1.6.1 appears to be broken.Also, who do I email about the way Spry degrades when a print style sheet is used? It appears to truncate content on tabbed or other multi-section structures.

3. SpryNewbie says:

I just downloaded the latest release. When I go and try to use a SlidingPanels widget, I get the following JS errors:’Spry is undefined’ and’sp2 is null or not an object’I even copied the exact samples from the Spry directory, confirmed the paths – still nothing.Any idea what is going on?That reeks of file paths being incorrect or the widget IDs not lining up in the constructor. -Don

4. Kathy says:

I tried to edit the spry tabbed panels css file, Dreamweaver quit and will not re-open…it starts opening then when it gets to “Initializing Extension Data” it vanishes. I have removed the spry updater extension, reinstalled Dreamweaver several times. Last re-install as soon as I expanded the SpryAssets folder the same thing happened – Dreamweaver suddenly quit and cannot be reopened.Any help would be appreciated!

5. Nathaniel B says:

Great work Spry team, many thanks for this insight! All the best, looking forward to the future and Spry!

6. Jim J says:

I am anxious to start using Spry in my projects, but Microsoft’s up and coming IE8 has me very concerned. I have tested the BETA and much of what Spry does fails completely. Is there anything being done to help Spry work in this new environment?

7. Richard W-O says:

Hi,Just came across a funny one using the Spry tooltip and IE7.I’m using a transparent PNG as a background image to the tooltip to give it a drop shadow – and it all works fine. But if I use useEffect:”fade”, then the PNG looses its transparency in IE (however it is OK in Firefox)

8. Michele says:

news?

9. cowtown says:

Hi can you blog about how to use spry functions.function cc(){return false;}