A quick introduction first! My name is Kapil Verma and I am the new product manager for FrameMaker. I have had the pleasure of interacting with some of you in the last few months and I am sure I will be interacting with more of you in the coming days and months.
I have very exciting news to share with you! Today, we launched the new version of FrameMaker and FrameMaker Server !! The new versions are part of the new Technical Communication Suite 3, which is the latest version of Adobe’s complete single-source authoring and multi-device publishing toolkit for the creation and publication of rich, standards-compliant technical information and training material.
Here is a quick summary of the new, improved features by major areas in FrameMaker 10 and FrameMaker Server 10.
Author DITA Content
- DITA 1.2 Support: With DITA 1.2 support in FrameMaker 10, you can now author content with new features including support for keys, topicset, conref range and more. Furthermore, you can easily switch between DITA 1.1 and 1.2 authoring mode depending on your needs.
- DITA Specialization: Easily specialize DITA structures through a new, easy to use DITA specialization dialog
- DITA Usability Enhancements: Author DITA content faster and easily through several key usability enhancements
- Working with Structured Applications: Easily create structured applications by using the new Structured Application Creation Dialog
- Filtering by Attributes: Display XML content based on attribute values and logical expressions
- Using the Attribute Editor: Review and edit your attributes easily with the new, improved Attribute Editor
- Using Smart Insert: Automatically populate entire / portions of structures in XML files using the Smart Insert feature
- Enhanced Tag View: Easily view and work with all elements in a collapsible format even in document view through the Enhanced Tag View
- Creating a New XML File: Create XML files quickly and easily using new menu choices
- Content Management System Support: Connect to EMC Documentum® or with Microsoft® Sharepoint® using built–in features that support uploading, checking in and out files, editing, dependency management and version control for both FrameMaker Book and XML content
- Scripting: Easily automate time-consuming, repetitive tasks through advanced scripting support with ExtendScript
- Automatically Checking Spelling: Automatically check spelling as you type
- Finding and Changing Overrides: Easily locate and fix your paragraph, character, and table formatting overrides
- Using the Table Catalog: Manage your table formats using tools that match the functions of the Paragraph Catalog and Character Catalog
- Repeating the Last Operation: Perform operations faster by repeating your last action
- Setting Background Colors: Make your text stand out by changing the background color of your words or paragraphs
- Setting a Poster: In videos, replace the default “play video” icon in the printed output with a image poster instead
- Drag and drop editing: Easily reorganize your content in unstructured or structured documents by dragging it from one location to another
- Creating Read/Write Rules: Easily create read/write rules with a new, easy-to-use interface
- Configuring the maker.ini File: Use the enhancements in FrameMaker® initiation file maker.ini to set user and application preferences
- Suppressing Alerts: Customize your alerts to show only the ones you want
- Importing PDF Comments: Conduct reviews of your content using Adobe PDF and easily import comments made in a PDF into your FrameMaker® source file
- Using Tracking Text Edits: Track edits in maps, books, or files, including customizing the display of text edit colors and filtering by reviewer
- Comparing Structured Documents: Compare any two documents (including structured documents) through the Compare Documents User Interface with changes marked in easy to use Track Text Edits in the composite document
FrameMaker Server 10
Single Source, Multichannel/Multidevice automated publishing solution
- Using the new, improved FrameMaker Sever 10, automatically publish a single FrameMaker® source file to multiple formats such as PDF, WebHelp and even the popular ePub format for publishing to mobile devices and tablets.
These are just some of the great, new features that we have in the product. We are very excited about the new release and we hope that you will also find tremendous value in these new features.
Further, over the course of several next weeks, I will be posting details including video snippets of these new features. So stay tuned for more blog posts in the coming weeks and to learn more about these enhancements.
Some Helpful Links
- Adobe FrameMaker 10
- Adobe FrameMaker Server 10
- Adobe Technical Communication Suite 3
- Technical Communications Channel on Adobe TV
- Technical Communication Twitter account
Talk to you soon,
Product Manager – FrameMaker and FrameMaker Server