Work seamlessly between FrameMaker 10 and Documentum and Sharepoint CMS (post 1 of 2)

Tuesday, February 1 2011 @ 7:13 AM, By kverma

Hi all,

Hope you had a good weekend. Today, I am going to be talking about the integration between FrameMaker10 and two of the leading CMS - EMC Documentum (registered) and Microsoft Sharepoint (registered). FrameMaker10 has out-of-the box integration with these 2 CMS and you don’t have to purchase anything extra to use this integration. In this first post (in a series of two), I will demonstrate some of the key functionality available to users when working with these “connectors” between FrameMaker10 and the CMS. Although the videos may talk about only one of the CMS, but all the functionality is available in both the CMS “connectors”.

Upload a File or Folder

You can upload any new files or folders (no matter the format) directly from the Repository Manager in FrameMaker to the CMS. The connector understands the dependencies (e.g. child topics in a DITA map, chapters in a book etc.) and can upload these dependencies along with the main document to the CMS.

View video in a new browser window.

Modify files – Check out, edit, check-in and versioning

Once the files are stored on the CMS, you can quickly open and work with these files in FrameMaker. You can check out a document for editing, make changes and check-in the modified document with a new version number, all without leaving the FrameMaker interface.

View video in a new browser window.

Deleting a file or folder

You can quickly delete a file or folder that resides on the CMS. You have the option to delete previous versions of the file (this deletes the version history of the file but not the file itself) or deleting the file (deletes the file and all versions).

View video in a new browser window.

Hope you will find these features useful. I will be making the second blog post soon on additional CMS “connector” features. So, stay tuned for that. Until the next blog post…

Cheers,

Kapil Verma

Product Manager – Adobe FrameMaker and FrameMaker Server

COMMENTS

• By Steve Hultman - 7:01 PM on March 17, 2011

This must be a joke. I have tried everything I can find on the internet about using connection manager, and nothing works. I don’t have ANY information from Adobe on what to put in the fields. I am a normal usir, not a network manager. We were looking a buying FrameMaker 10, but since we can get no answers from Adobe, and our trial runs out ths weekend, we see no reason to use it. I had hoped it would help, but with no help from Adobe, it is going nowhere. Also, I hope it works better than version 9, which hangs up paragraph designer whenever I manually move a tab. And better than Acrobat X, which crashes frequently.

• By kverma - 6:22 AM on April 15, 2011

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues. We have listed the steps to use the connection manager in our documentation. Also, the engineering team has created a detailed post on how to connect to Documentum and Sharepoint. Please refer to the post here http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2011/04/configuration-settings-for-framemaker-cms-integration.html. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully, it will solve your issues.

thanks,
    Kapil Verma
    Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker and FrameMaker Server

• By Jim Owens - 6:30 PM on May 30, 2011

I’ve made a connection to SharePoint by specifying a full path where I have access permissions, and including the login domain as suggested in your liink, so I can assure Steve it is possible..

But I need help understanding how to save changes to a new version while including a “checkin” comment. I’ve tried various permutations of File > Save and right-click > Checkin, and I’m getting more and more confused. Could you please provide a step-by-step procedure for checking in a file to SharePoint as a new version with a unique comment, while actually saving the changes?

• By kverma - 9:59 AM on June 3, 2011

Jim,

To check-in a file with comments, please follow the steps below

1. Check out a file and make any desired modifications
      2. Save the file
      3. Right click on the file in the repository manager window on the left and choose check in in the menu
      4. In the dialog box, add the comment to file that is going to be checked in
      5. After the file is checked in, you can see the comment by right clicking on the file and choosing “Show Versions” in the repository manager window. you will see the comment in the window along with the new version

hope that helps

Thanks,
      Kapil Verma
      Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker

• By Jim Owens - 6:45 PM on May 30, 2011

When I start a new document in FrameMaker, I have the option to “browse CMS” and create it there, but when I create a new DITA document I do not have this option. I have to create it locally, and then checkin the local file to the CMS in a separate operation.

Are there plans to improve DITA support for a CMS connection?

• By kverma - 10:07 AM on June 3, 2011

Jim,

Currently, the workflow is to create the document locally and upload the document to the CMS through the repository manager window.

But, we have noted your feedback on the enhancement and will consider it for future versions.

thanks,
      Kapil Verma
      Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker

• By Jim Owens - 1:18 PM on June 3, 2011

HI, Kamil. Thanks.
    The Show Version dialog is not working as expected. Here’s what I did:
    1. Checkout and Edit.
    2. Make a text change.
    3. Save.
    4. Right-click and select Checkin. The Checkin dialog refers to Version 2.0.
    5. Accept the default “Next minor version” setting and add Comment 1.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Display the Show Version dialog. It shows Version 1.0, with my comment.

8. Repeat 1 through 6 twice, but vary step 5 as follows:
    – The first time, accept “Next Minor Version” and add Comment 2.
    – The second time, select “Next Major Version’ and add Comment 3.

In each case, the Show Version dialog has one entry, for version 1.0, with whatever comment I added last.

• By Jim Owens - 1:22 PM on June 3, 2011

Addendum: in each case, I closed the file before using Checkout and Edit again.

• By kverma - 5:41 AM on June 7, 2011

Jim,

Since it is a specific situation you are in, i would recommend to take this discussion over email if that’s alright with you. I have your email address and i will respond to you over email.

thanks,
      Kapil Verma
      Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker

• By Jim Owens - 1:36 PM on June 7, 2011

Public forums like this are helpful for others who may be having similar experiences. However, if you think this may be specific to my situation (for example, a SharePoint implementation issue), please feel free to get in touch with me by e-mail.

• By Jim Owens - 4:37 PM on June 13, 2011

Your representative advised me to review the SharePoint versioning settting for the library. It was set to “No versioning.” Changing this to “Create major and minor (draft) versions” produces the desired result. Now at Step 7, successive versions are shown.

Thanks!

(Just for clarity, the Save and Checkin question I asked in this forum is a separate issue, which is still open.)

• By Jim Owens - 2:34 PM on June 3, 2011

After a Save and Checkin, the file is still open in the editor. I’d appreciate some guidance for this states that can ensue.

I’m sure the best practice is to close the file in the editor, but other options are possible.

f you leave the file open, you can’t check it out again for further changes, because when you select Checkout or Checkout and Edit, you receive a file lock error (at least, the first time you try it).

If you continue to make changes to the open file (which could happen accidentally), you can save them, but you cannot check them in, because the file is already checked in and so that option is not available. But since it’s still possible to save them, they must be getting saved somewhere. At this point, I would expect that if you closed the file and then used Checkout and Edit, you would get the older version that you had checked in, but in fact the saves seem to be applied even to the checked-in and supposedly locked file.

Some documentation about what’s going on and what to expect in this situation would be helpful.

• By Gina Wadley - 1:43 PM on June 10, 2011

This information would be very helpful to us as well. We have created DITA content in FrameMaker and have SharePoint 2007 WSS 3.0 (not sure yet which service pack we have). It would be great to not have to purchase a CMS when we already have SP. I’d like to test the steps above but I don’t want to get stuck with the issues Jim is having.

• By Gina Wadley - 2:19 PM on June 10, 2011

How do I “watch” this post? I can do this in Adobe TV and Adobe forums, but not here. It would be great to have a central Adobe account to watch all of my posts to see if anyone’s commented.
    Thanks!

• By Jim Owens - 11:15 AM on September 16, 2011

Just as an update, a Frame rep e-mailed me to explain their thinking about check-in options. One concern with FrameMaker that you don’t usually see with other SharePoint check-ins like MS Word or Excel is dependencies. If a Frame file has dependencies, they want to avoid presenting a series of check-in confirmations for all the dependencies.

I suggested the following. I’m repeating it here to encourage wider discussion.

“A utility to list all open dependencies, show their status, and allow each one to be saved (by marking a check box) would help here. A list of active dependencies would probably be helpful in other ways. If you introduced a “Dependencies Manager,” then for CMS connectors, you could make the Check-in menu selection unavailable if the file or any of its dependencies has been changed but not saved. This would signal to the user that they need to use Dependencies Manager to affirm the state of all open files before proceeding. “

• By Jim Owens - 11:23 AM on September 16, 2011

Part of our reason for exploring the CMS Connector is that we intend to adopt DITA.With DITA, you can have a huge number of small files, and providing unique file names becomes a problem. Also, if you use the topic title for the file name, then to change a topic title you have to manage the file name and any map references.

The solution is to use GUID file names generated by an authoring tool. but present the topic title more or less dynamically for selection. I’m wondering if the CMS Connector can help with this. At the moment, if we use GUID filenames, that’s what we’d see in the selection list. However, we do plan to use SharePoint add-ons to read the DITA files and extract metadata on check-in. We will be extracting the title and presenting it in SharePoint for selection. My question is whether we could also use the title for selection in the CMS Connector.

• By Sue McKinney - 5:11 PM on November 21, 2011

I’ve successfully connected but cannot upload any files or folders, or open anything that’s already there. Help!

• By Sue McKinney - 5:26 PM on November 21, 2011

When I try to upload files or a folder, I just get an “upload failed for some error” helpful message. When I try to either open a read-only copy or check out an existing file, I get a message that the “Object reference not set to an instance of an object”.

• By Bjørn Smalbro - 11:58 AM on November 28, 2011

Is it possible to integrate other cms systems beside Documentum and Sharepoint? While these systems are great they are way over the top regarding pricing and features for most users. A connection for Typo3 or Joomla – both open source would be great.