ExtendScript of the Week : Find/Change (XRef Format/Conditional Tag/Variable)Wednesday, November 23 2011 @ 6:38 AM, By bharatp
This week in “Extend Script of the Week” initiative we will showcase an extend script which will Find/Change XRef Format,Conditional Tag,Variables on the body page of the FrameMaker document . This script demonstrates how to use Extend Script to traverse a document, find Xrefs/Conditional Tags/Variables and then change them or delete them.
Information about the Scripts :
- The zip contains 7 scripts . ChangeFormatMenu.jsx loads the menu and calls the function to execute the work flow. ChangeConditionalFormat.jsx is used to change the conditional tag.ChangeVariable.jsx is used to change the variable.ChangeXrefFormat.jsx is used to change the format of the XRef.ChangeFormatUtils.jsx contains various utilty functions.ChangeFormatUI.jsx prepares the UI to be launched in FM and BookIterator.jsx is used to iterate over the book.
- The script works on FM/MIF, nested books and its components as well as on the hierarchical components
- Any XML file, dita or map which is a part of the book is left untouched
- The script will pick up the format/variable/tag from the document or the first non generated component of book.
- If run on a book, all unopened components will be opened silently and will be modified, saved and closed without asking. All opened components will be modified and left visible
- User has an option to include System Variables, by default it has been excluded as it makes the list quite long.
- User also has an option to delete the conditional tag/variable/xref format which was replaced after the changes are made.
- At the end the user will be notified about the number of changes made in the document.
Steps to Install :
- Download the zip file from ChangeFormat
- Unzip the files and copy “ChangeFormatMenu.jsx” and “ChangeFormat” folder in startup folder located at “C:\Program Files\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\startup”
How to use the Script?
- Launch FrameMaker
- Open a Book File or FM/MIF File eg : Doc1_10.fm
- Run Change Formats from “File -> Utilities -> Change Formats…“
- This will run the script and ask you for inputs for find/change.
- Click on the radio button to choose the object you want to change.
- Choose the value to be changed in ‘Find’ dropdown.
- Choose the value to be applied in ‘Replace With’ dropdown.
- Click on Change button.
I hope this will prove useful to many folks and you can add extra functionality as per your requirements to these scripts to make it even more powerful
(Resources: ChangeFormat )