Understanding the maker.ini file of FrameMakerWednesday, October 31 2012 @ 12:13 PM, By Nandini Gupta
The maker.ini file is a simple text file with configuration settings which FrameMaker checks at every launch. There are basically, at least, two entries for the maker.ini file: in the installed location as well as in the User Account Preferences. You can edit either based upon your requirements.
At Installed Location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\maker.ini
At User Account
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName
Windows Vista, Windows 7:
Being a text file in true nature, you can open and edit it on any text editor.
Before you change anything in the file:
- Keep a back-up of the maker.ini file, in case, you want to revert back to original state.
- Ensure you have administrator privileges to modify the file.
- Ensure FrameMaker is not running while editing the maker.ini.
One first glance you would notice that the maker.ini itself has several sections, each governing a specific feature in FrameMaker. You can notice entries that are commented starting with semi-colon (;). Most of the entries can be customized and modified by toggling their values between on/off. Let’s understand and try to edit them to see the impact.
ProductInterface=Structured FrameMaker [It is always stored in user account mode location of Maker.ini. It controls UI for FrameMaker as — structured or unstructured.]
Language=English [Used for UI and dictionary language and is based on Installation Language for the product.]
AskExit=On [Prompts a dialog on Closing FrameMaker.]
BackupOnSave=On [Creates project backup and updates it on every save.]
AutoSave=Off 5 [Automatically says the opened book/document, periodically at the specified time interval.]
3) Alert Prompts, do not show again dialogs
MissingGraphicsDialog=On [Documents contains missing graphics.]
UnresolvedCrossReferencesDialog=On [Prompts for Unresolved Cross References because of marker for source is deleted/modified/moved/being used by someone.]
OpeningOldReleaseDocDialog=On [For FrameMaker source file created in previous version of product.]
UnavailableFontsDialog=On [Prompts for unavailable fonts on machine w.r.t. fonts used in the FrameMaker source file.]
4) Auto Spell Check
EnableAutoSpellCheck=On [By default checks for spelling for inserted text and prompts for corrections.]
AutoSpellCheckCorrectionListSize=5 [Size of word list for possible corrections in Spell Check.]
ThermoDoneColor=255, 0, 255
ThermoRemainingColor=192, 192, 192
The above values modify the color for FrameMaker printing progress dialog box, which shows pink (by default). You can change the color for completed and remaining slides.
I have customized the value to change the color from Pink to Purple:
- FrameMaker reads the maker file from installed directory.
- If you want to make changes globally for all users using FrameMaker on a particular machine, modify the installed directory maker.ini, but if you want to restrict changes to a specific user only, then you should make those changes in maker.ini file only for that user account.
- Working with customized FDK plug-ins and interface also requires an entry to be substituted for the custom panel/window inside the maker.ini.
Submitted by: Anjaneai Srivastava, Tech Support Consultant