Update on the issue of FrameMaker 10 not launching

Wednesday, January 2 2013 @ 10:12 AM, By kverma

Update #3: 9:05 GMT

Removed the utility as the patch that we have provided below is the superset and the utility is no longer needed

Added some more detailed instructions on the patch webpage on which patch to download and install. Please refer to the webpage here

Update #2: 5:40 PM, GMT

We are issuing an 10.0.3 update on FM10, which addresses this issue for our users.This is the complete and only solution you need to fix this issue. To download and install the update, please go to the page here. Please follow the steps mentioned below..

* Download the zip file, unzip it and run the executable

* please check the version of FM10/TCS that is installed on your machine to install the right update. please follow the instructions on the page

Some other important points

* If you have already run the utility we provided earlier today, we still recommend that you go ahead and install this important update.

* if you haven’t run the utility already, then the 10.0.3 update is all you need to fix this problem. You don’t need to run the utility that we have provided earlier. For this reason, we have removed the utility now as it is no longer needed

* Also, this update is currently available as a manual download only, but it will also be made available later through the Adobe Automatic update mechanism.

****

Hello All,

Firstly, wish you all a very happy new year 2013!

Many users have reported an issue with launching of FrameMaker 10*. Starting Jan 1 of this year, users saw a message “Licensing for this product has expired”. We have already isolated the cause of this issue and are working aggressively to provide a solution to our users. That being said, we do realize that many of you are blocked on your daily work due to this issue. We sincerely apologize for this and completely understand the difficult situation you are in. While we work on a solution, please use one of the following workarounds in the meanwhile to continue doing your work.

Update #1……

Workaround #2: Set the system date to a date earlier than Jan 1, 2013 and FM10 should launch successfully. After launching FM10, you can reset the system date to the correct date and FM10 would continue to work. However, please note that if you exit FM10, you will need to change the date again before you can re-launch FM10.

Note: the above workarounds will require user to have the necessary admin privileges to change the system date on their machine

We do hope that you can use the above workaround and continue being productive in your daily activities. Be rest assured, providing a complete solution to our FM10 users as soon as possible is the highest priority for us right now. Our hope is to provide a complete solution within the next 24 hours. Furthermore, we will be making regular updates to this post, as and when they become available. So, please do keep checking this page for more details.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

* Note that this issue affects only FrameMaker 10 users and not those users using other versions of the product

Regards,

Kapil Verma

Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker line of products

COMMENTS

• By Rob Pretzinger - 12:34 PM on January 2, 2013

The .exe file does not seem to work for me. Winzip has an extraction problem when the .exe double clicked from within winzip. When the .exe is unzipped and placed on the desktop, the program won’t run. Think the problem may be related to my OS (win XP 64 bit) since my co-worker had no problems with it.

• By Brutuss100 - 12:35 PM on January 2, 2013

The only option for Windows XP users running on a 64-bit system is “workaround #2″. Hopefully, they haven’t forgotten us out here. We can not continue to work on a pre-dated system clock as it affects archival and documentation storage issues as well.

• By Hans Janssen - 12:40 PM on January 2, 2013

works OK on Terminal Server (With FM Server Edition)

• By Pervychine Nicolas - 12:50 PM on January 2, 2013

Thanks ! “FM10_LicenseUpdater.exe” works fine with FM10 + Windows7 64-bit, french versions

• By mateus - 1:48 PM on January 2, 2013

Works fine with XP, but can you tell us anything specific about the problem and solution. What was reason for this disease and how did you cure it?

• By Luigi Cannini - 2:43 PM on January 2, 2013

Everything fine with Win7 SP1 32 Bit, German OS + FrameMaker. Thanks for the quick response. A non-ironic “Happy new year” to the Adobe guys who managed to fix this…

• By Sreekanth - 2:53 PM on January 2, 2013

Thanks a lot. It worked perfectly with Win 7 (64 bit) and FM10!

• By Keith - 3:34 PM on January 2, 2013

Still no luck! Get this message: Could not update FrameMaker 10 : attempt to write to a readonly database

• By Sreekanth - 4:50 PM on January 2, 2013

This is just a guess and I am not an expert from Adobe. But just check if the cache.db is marked as Read Only and deselect the Read Only option. Then try running the patch again. It might work. You will find the file at: Program Files (x86)Common FilesAdobeAdobe PCDcache

• By KBecker - 5:36 PM on January 2, 2013

I am receiving the same message. My cache.db file was not set to Read-Only. I had to resort to changing the date on my system (Win7 32-bit).

• By Jim Bowman - 5:48 PM on January 2, 2013

I experience the same problem. Extract the .EXE from the .ZIP, then “Run as administrator.”

• By peter_aaron - 6:10 PM on January 2, 2013

I tried to make my whole Common Files folder un-read only, and it still wasn’t working. Your solution of “Run as Administrator” worked. If I could like this more than once, I would!

• By Karyn - 7:05 PM on January 2, 2013

I ended up running as admin the original #1 fix and Frame reopened. I have yet to close it and start again though.

• By guest - 3:36 PM on January 2, 2013

I tried to install the patch on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server. The patch failed to run on one server. On another server, the patch did run successfully, but it did NOT fix the licensing expired problem.

• By Megha Chaitanya - 12:24 PM on January 3, 2013

On the server where the patch failed, can you do the following :

%temp% directory.
      2. Apply the patch again.
      3. Pls. send the installation logs generated at C:Common FilesAdobeInstallers with the name Adobe FrameMaker 10 (time stamp).gz and send to megha@adobe.com
      On the server where patch was successfully installed, can you let me know :
      1. Version No which you are getting in Add/Remove programs against FrameMaker 10 entry.
      2. Build no when you do Help->About FrameMaker

• By Steve - 3:45 PM on January 2, 2013

Worked very well for me. Win 7-64 bit. Cathy was the person who helped me. She was very knowledgeable and spoke English very well (that was refreshing and very helpful indeed).

• By beavis - 3:50 PM on January 2, 2013

Works! Win7 x64 and XP 32. Funny that it doesnt like 2013, I think the mayans are to blame…

• By DC - 3:55 PM on January 2, 2013

Windows 2008 R2 SP1, Citrix XenApp 6 HRP1. Not working. The updater states that the fix was applied but still getting the error about expired license. Changing Stopping the Windows time service and changing the clock date is a temporary workaround but may cause issues with government compliance resulting in penalties.

• By DC - 3:56 PM on January 2, 2013

Remove the word “Changing” above.

• By Megha Chaitanya - 12:19 PM on January 3, 2013

I am assuming that you are applying the update from http://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/cant-launch-framemaker-10.html and it is not working.

In order to understand the issue of your machine, can you do the following :

1. Create a blank text file with name “ribs3debug” (without extension) and place it in the %temp% directory.
      2. Apply the patch again.
      3. Pls. send the installation logs generated at C:Common FilesAdobeInstallers with the name Adobe FrameMaker 10 (time stamp).gz to megha@adobe.com

• By GoingAwayFromAdobe - 7:47 PM on January 2, 2013

This bug is an absolute joke. Why does the date have any impact on the license at all? I will be moving away from Adobe products as soon as I possibly can. Although it is impressive that a patch was released so quickly, that does not mitigate the damage done by the bug itself.

• By Jim Pasquotto - 8:20 PM on January 2, 2013

The final fixes for this issue at http://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/cant-launch-framemaker-10.html have choices for Framemaker 10 & 10.0.1. I have the latest version of Framemaker, 10.0.2.419–is there another update somewhere? Or is it OK to apply one of the updates to my version? Thanks!

• By Gomer - 9:07 PM on January 2, 2013

I have the same questions.

• By Lakshmi Raghu - 8:20 PM on January 2, 2013

Hi, The utility provided is for windows vista, 7 or XP. Is this utility compatible with Windows 2003 as well.

• By Steve - 8:40 PM on January 2, 2013

I installed the update utility in the original posting (Update #1, Workaround #1), which worked fine. The instructions for the the FM10 update (Update #2) on the Adobe Knowledge Base state that we need to download either the FM update for v10 or for v10.0.1 (TCS 3 and TCS 3.5, respectively). I have FM10 v10.0.2.419. I don’t have the TCS. So, do I install the v10.0.1 upgrade, even though I have a more recent version? I’m confused as to why Adobe didn’t release an updates for the current version of FM.

Thanks.

–Steve

• By Gomer - 9:07 PM on January 2, 2013

I have the same question. We have Framemaker 10.0.2.410 on all our machines. Which update should we use?

• By pam_adrian - 8:59 PM on January 2, 2013

The update may work for other folks, but not for FrameMaker 10.0.2.419 users. We have to complete another step:
    When you attempt to launch AdobePatchInstaller.exe, it give me the message: “Update Failed” then it askes me to install a new version of Adobe Application Manager.
    When you close FrameMaker 10, then reopen it, it works.

• By Pam Adrian - 11:02 PM on January 2, 2013

It appears that the fix using the Adobe Application Manager worked for only one Adobe FrameMaker launch. Any other suggestions? Looks like we need a better patch for Rel. 10.0.2! Please advise.

• By Megha Chaitanya - 12:14 PM on January 3, 2013

Pls. refer to “Verifying that Update is Installed” section
      of link http://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/cant-launch-framemaker-10.html . Are you getting the 10.0.3.419 in Add/remove
      program entry and 10.0.2.419 in Help->About FrameMaker , but still not able
      to launch FrameMaker 10?

In order to understand the issue of your machine, can you do
      the following :

1. Create a blank text file with name “ribs3debug” (without
      extension) and place it in the %temp%
      directory.
      2. Apply the patch again.
      3. Pls. send the installation logs generated at
      C:Common FilesAdobeInstallers with the name Adobe
      FrameMaker 10 (time stamp).gz to megha@adobe.com

• By KBecker - 11:37 PM on January 2, 2013

I have FM 10.0.2.419 and used the FM 10 patch (update #2), not the 10.1 patch (no TC installed either), and I have had no problems. My FM version remained at 10.0.2.419. I have even turned my system off and turned it back on a few minutes later, and no issues when I opened FM and worked on my files. Thanks for the quick fix Adobe!

• By Kari - 8:09 AM on January 3, 2013

I Informed Adobe Last year that this will hapen in 2013. Licenses will expire pecause I tested it. They said that “there is nothing to worry about”. Why they didn’t listen to me oh why.. now We have 15 expired programs.

• By Janet - 3:22 PM on January 3, 2013

I’m on version FrameMaker 10.02.419. I ran the correct executible for my version, but the problem still exists. HELP!!!!

• By Anjaneai - 10:45 AM on January 14, 2013

Hi Cathy,

Please email us the necessary log files to check the problem –

1. Installer logs from location
      Common FilesAdobeInstallers

2. Adobe Updater logs from location:
      Win XP: Document and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataAdobeAAMUpdater1.0

Vista/Win7: C:UsersAppDataLocalAdobeAAMUpdater

Thanks,

Anjaneai

• By Anjaneai - 10:47 AM on January 14, 2013

PS: Sorry, I meant Janet, you can email these to tcssup@adobe.com

• By Segun Olaniyan - 4:11 PM on January 3, 2013

Nice New Years surprise; works fine with FM10 in TCS3.5 + Win7 Enterprise 64-bit.

• By Keith - 4:23 PM on January 3, 2013

Tried opening the correct zip file….NO LUCK. Tried saving the zip file to desktop and then running the installer…NO LUCK! WHAT NOW??????

• By Anjaneai - 10:43 AM on January 14, 2013

Hi Keith,

Can you please verify the permission on your user account, as we need to run the exe in admin mode (right click– Run as Admin)

• By Cathy - 4:37 PM on January 3, 2013

Tried both updates with 10.0.0.388 on Windows 7 and neither one worked.

• By Anjaneai - 10:42 AM on January 14, 2013

Win XP: Document and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataAdobeAAMUpdater1.0

Vista/Win7: C:UsersAppDataLocalAdobeAAMUpdater

Thanks,
      Anjaneai

• By Anjaneai Srivastava - 10:48 AM on January 14, 2013
  • By Tom - 8:07 PM on January 3, 2013

I lost my ability to save as a PDF once the patch was installed. Any thoughts?
    XP Pro SP3
    Show 10.0.3.419 in Add/remove
    program entry and 10.0.2.419 in Help->About FrameMaker

• By Anjaneai - 10:28 AM on January 14, 2013

Hi Tom,

Can you check if the PDF creation add on is installed, if not execute the FrameMaker installer again and just just check the PDF creation add on and install that component only, as it is responsible for Save as PDF action.

Thanks,
      Anjaneai

• By Jim - 8:21 PM on January 3, 2013

So I googled U44M21218 (the error code) and got the suggestion that after extracting the folders from the TCS3_5Update.zip file I needed to go into the folders and subfolders and change any ready-only attributes. I did that. The patch took mere seconds to run and it appears to have worked just fine. It would have saved me a whole lot of time if that information had been included on the page telling us to download those files..

• By JP - 11:52 PM on February 8, 2013

I ran into the same problem – thanks for posting the solution here in the comments, at least.

• By CBrosnanDow - 12:22 AM on January 4, 2013

This download ONLY worked for me when I used the “Open” option. My update failed when I used “Save” and then extracted the files.

These steps worked for me.
    1. Click the Update link for the zip file.
    2. In the File Download dialog box, select “Open”.
    3. In the Windows Explorer screen, double-click the Update file folder.
    4. Double-click the “AdobePatchInstaller.exe” file and select “Extract All”.
    5. Double-click the unzipped Update file folder and again double-click the “AdobePatchInstaller.exe file”.
    6. Click “Run”.
    7. The Adobe Application Manager screen appears and shows the “Update Progress” information, then “Update Complete”.
    Done!

• By Kapil Verma - 9:27 AM on January 4, 2013

Hello All

Thanks again for your patience as we worked through the issue and provided the patch to fix this problem.

Just to summarize for everyone, there is a FM10 patch out that you should download and apply, which would fix this issue. The webpage which has the links to the patch describes in detail which of the 2 patches you should apply depending on your product/version. Please refer to the patch page
    here URL http://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/cant-launch-framemaker-10.html

Also, the link to the original blog post (summarizing the issue, our response and the various updates made) is here http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2013/01/update-on-the-issue-of-framemaker-10-not-launching.html

Hope this summary information is helpful. Wishing you all a great weekend!

Regards,

Kapil Verma

Sr. Product Manager – FrameMaker line of products

• By Charles - 1:46 PM on January 4, 2013

Patch doesn’t work for me. “Error loading updater workflow”. TCS 3.0 on Windows 7 (64) SP1.

• By Charles - 2:49 PM on January 4, 2013

Luckily someone else in my organization had the workaround executable, which works correctly.

• By Vinod Rowmuria - 5:38 PM on January 11, 2013

I had the same problem. Then I tried a very ridiculous work around; I temporarily changed the date setting in my computer back to some where in 2012, and bingo… my FrameMaker again started working…!!! :)