Adobe Technical Communication Products – Next release plan

Monday, September 9 2013 @ 11:30 AM, By kverma

Hello Tech Comm Professionals,

Hope you are well! I am sure many of you would have come across the announcement made by Adobe in May of this year, about the Creative products. Since this announcement was made, there has been plenty of lively discussion in the Tech Comm user community as well about the strategy of Adobe Tech Comm products.

Today, I wanted to address some of the questions that have been raised by our community and clarify our strategy going forward.

• Firstly, next version of Tech communications products will continue to have perpetual licensing. This includes all our products – FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite, FrameMaker Publishing Server and RoboHelp Server.
  • Secondly, we plan to offer subscription as an additional option for our products, in addition to the perpetual licensing, so that our customers can choose the licensing option that works best for them.
  • Lastly, we continue to make significant investments into our products and the team is working hard on delivering a phenomenal release. We all are really excited about the upcoming release of point products as well as Technical Communication Suite and expect it to be out in 2014.

It is our intention to provide world class products, with various purchase options to the Tech Comm user community and we will continue to honor this commitment with the next release of our products as well. Please let me know if you have any questions by typing those in the comment box below.

Have a great week ahead!

Regards,

Kapil Verma

Sr. Product Manager – Adobe Technical Communication Products

COMMENTS

• By Sreekanth - 11:50 AM on September 9, 2013

Hi Kapil

Thanks for this info. But please release the subscription plan in India as well. Many people like me (which includes SMEs, freelancers, small and medium business users) who want to use TCS cannot afford the expensive perpetual license.

Sreekanth

• By kverma - 6:52 AM on September 23, 2013

Sreekanth,

thanks for your comment. We are working with the internal Adobe store team on this and will revert to you once we have more details on their plan to make subscription available in India.

thanks,
      Kapil

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 6:14 AM on September 25, 2013

Sreekanth, please see Kapil’s reply in the right hand column

• By Sreekanth - 2:46 AM on September 26, 2013

Hi Maxwell

Unfortunately, I don’t see his reply on the right hand column. Can you please be specific about the section you are referring to there? The Recent Comments section doesn’t list his comments atleast.

Sreekanth

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 5:28 AM on September 26, 2013

Sreekanth: here is Kapil’s rely;

Sreekanth,

thanks for your comment. We are working with the internal Adobe store
          team on this and will revert to you once we have more details on their
          plan to make subscription available in India.

thanks,

Kapil

• By Sreekanth - 6:17 AM on September 26, 2013

Thanks a lot Maxwell. I am glad to know that Adobe is finally listening to their Indian customers. Have a great day at TCUK!

• By Guest - 5:28 AM on September 26, 2013

Sreekanth, here is Kapil’s reply to you:

Sreekanth,

thanks for your comment. We are working with the internal Adobe store
      team on this and will revert to you once we have more details on their
      plan to make subscription available in India.

thanks,

Kapil

• By Lin Sims - 12:26 PM on September 10, 2013

Will the new version of FM fix the SVG to PDF bug that converted text to glyphs?

• By kverma - 6:57 AM on September 23, 2013

Lin,

thanks for your comment. this particular issue is in our consideration set for next release, but i will be able to comment on a potential fix in the coming days and weeks.

regards,
      Kapil

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 6:19 AM on September 25, 2013

Lin, Adobe has a policy about not making specific remarks about new features before a new version is released.

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 5:30 AM on September 26, 2013

Lin, here is a reply from the author and Sr. Prod Mktg Manager, Kapil Verma:

Submitted on 2013/09/23 at 6:57 am | In reply to Lin Sims.

Lin,

thanks for your comment. this particular issue is in our
      consideration set for next release, but i will be able to comment on a
      potential fix in the coming days and weeks.

regards,

Kapil

• By gb - 2:55 PM on September 11, 2013

Will the new version of RoboHelp get Adobe User Interface (like FM & AI)?

• By kverma - 6:54 AM on September 23, 2013

GB,

Thanks for your comment. We will certainly be doing enhancements to the RH UI in the next version, but it will not be same as the UI of FM or AI.

thanks,
      Kapil

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 6:18 AM on September 25, 2013

gb, Adobe has a policy about not making specific remarks about new features before a new version is released.

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 5:31 AM on September 26, 2013

GB, here is author Kapil Verma’s reply:

Submitted on 2013/09/23 at 6:54 am | In reply to gb.

GB,

Thanks for your comment. We will certainly be doing enhancements to
      the RH UI in the next version, but it will not be same as the UI of FM
      or AI.

thanks,

Kapil

• By Reaction - 12:19 PM on September 16, 2013

“…so that our customers can choose the licensing option that works best for them.”

How very sensible that TS will remain available on a ‘proper’ license for the next release. Adobe has clearly angered far too many customers with its enforced pay-forever subscription ploy on the CC products.

• By Maxwell Hoffmann - 6:12 AM on September 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback!

• By Jeff Coatsworth - 2:10 PM on October 30, 2013

So I just tried to renew a great package that Adobe offered in 2011: a two-year TCS upgrade plan with included Bronze-level support. Now I discover that not only aren’t they offering a two-year upgrade plan, there’s no upgrade plan for TCS. The only support plan offered for TCS is a one-year Gold-level plan. Guess I’ll have to wait and see if the new TCS release next year will be worth upgrading to for my existing licenses. As a long-time TCS user (since TCS 1.3), I’m quite disappointed Adobe doesn’t want to sell me something that worked so well in the past.

• By Naira Yaqoob - 4:51 PM on December 18, 2013

I hope the next release is in early 2014. I have been waiting to upgrade to the latest RH version.

• By Sreekanth - 2:32 AM on December 20, 2013

I saw an agenda of a conference in Bangalore where Vikram Verna will be talking about What’s new in Robohelp 11 and FrameMaker 12. Since the session is on February 20 and 21, I guess your wishes are already granted. :)