Hello FrameMaker users,
I am pleased to announce that we have released our first update to FrameMaker (2015 release) and FrameMaker XML Author (2015 release) products, along with updates to Technical Communication Suite (2015 release) and RoboHelp (2015 release). Many of you had shared feedback on the product in the form of feature requests, enhancements and issues. We have been actively working on all the feedback. In this update, we have made a good number of enhancements as well as addressed many issues. I would like to thank all those who have contributed in reporting these issues and helping us improve the product.
Here is the list of enhancements we have made to FrameMaker (2015 release) and FrameMaker XML Author (2015 release) as a part of this update:
Windows 10 support
With this update both FrameMaker and FrameMaker XML Author are supported on Windows 10 operating system. Please note that, you will have to download the updated installation builds in order to install FrameMaker or FrameMaker XML Author on Windows 10 machines.
- Thai and Farsi languages are now supported. Bidirectional content support is now extended to Farsi language. Users can seamlessly create Farsi content including mixed Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi with left-to-right content.
- The mini TOC has been enhanced to support book level updates. The mini TOC can be updated at the book level by selecting the update Mini TOC option in the Update Book dialog box.
- With this update you can now publish your content via Adobe Digital Publishing Solution (DPS).
- Leverage integration with DPS to enjoy wider distribution of content as mobile apps. Ensure that your users always access updated content, even when they are offline. FrameMaker now generates DPS articles that you can use to publish mobile apps across iOS (8 or later), Android (4.1 or later) and Windows (8.1) platforms.
- The layout icons on HTML5 outputs have been optimized for high-resolution retina displays so that your users get a superior viewing experience. The icons in Azure and Charcoal gray layouts will appear sharp and clear on high-resolution devices.
- A new option has been added to enable browse sequences in Microsoft HTML output.
- Support for DITA Open Toolkit (DITA-OT) has been upgraded from 1.8 to 2.1 library.
- Simplified XML view has been enhanced to support DITA 1.3 topics. With the addition of new functionality, it is easier to convert paragraphs to list and list to paragraph, add definition list and entry elements, apply code formatting, and navigate to the end of the form element.
- DITA Support:
- Quick Element Toolbar is available in WYSIWYG view for DITA 1.3 document types (topic, task, concept, reference, and troubleshooting).
- MathML equations can now be inserted in DITA 1.3 document types. Quick Element Toolbar in Simplified XML view for DITA 1.3 documents has also been enhanced to include the MathML container button that allows insertion of MathML equations.
- Now you can define rules that ensure that FrameMaker auto-generate IDs for any element in a structured document. You can also define the attribute to which you want FrameMaker to assign the ID.
- FrameMaker now uses SAXON as the default XSLT processor and therefore supports XSLT 2.0 transformations by default. Your structured application can also be configured to use different processors for handling pre-processing, post-processing, and smart pasting operations making your application more user-friendly.
- Leverage the newly implemented and enhanced connector with the DITA Exchange CMS to manage your DITA content easily.
- FrameMaker 2015 now supports the latest version of Adobe Experience Manager 6.1.
- The Paragraph Designer dialog box has been enhanced to support Smart filter in the Next Paragraph Tag list, and the Object Designer dialog box been enhanced to support Smart filtering in the Object Style list.
- Working with tables is made even simpler by adding support for resizing table columns and rotating table text or graphic through context or main menu.
- FrameMaker UI has been enhanced to work with screen resolutions 1900×1200 or higher so that there are no issues with overlapping of icons.
In addition to all these enhancements that I mentioned above, we have fixed many bugs and crashers. A few major ones are:
- A new table row now gets added on pressing the Tab key on tables where the title is set as Below Table(applicable only to FrameMaker).
- An option is provided to not create separate topics in the output for empty topics that does not have any content.
- The conditional indicators applied in FrameMaker document will not be visible in the generated output.
- Usage of special characters in the display name of dynamic content filter criteria is now allowed (applicable only to FrameMaker).
- When viewing glossary item definition (in mobile app output) on an iOS device, the user is unable to navigate back to the help content as full screen is occupied with its context. The glossary definition link now opens in a pop-up allowing the user to navigate back to the help content (applicable only to FrameMaker).
- A structured document containing text hidden by Filter, by Attribute or by Conditional Text now wouldn’t take longer time to save as PDF (applicable only to FrameMaker).
For a complete list of enhancements and issues fixed, please refer to the release notes. These updates are now available through Adobe Update Manager (AUM). You can also check for the updates through Help -> Updates menu item on FrameMaker.
To learn about updates released on the other products, please click on the links below
I hope that you will find many of these enhancements useful to your specific workflows. It will be our endeavor to release these updates on a continuous basis to meet the needs of our customers. I sincerely thank all of those who submitted these ideas and bug reports. Please do keep your feedback coming.