Acrobat 9 Deployment and Collaboration Settings
Technical Evangelist Joel Geraci recently posted an article, video and a “kit” for Acrobat 9 deployment. He has included the Adobe Customization Wizard 9, which allows IT managers to set default configurations for both Acrobat 9 and Adobe Reader 9 on Windows prior to deployment, including document collaboration settings.
This includes setting the following collaboration and commenting features for all users whom the customized installer is deployed to:
- Disabling all Acrobat.com features, for those in a locked-down environment where users cannot post any data to an external server
- Disable only specific Acrobat.com features, such as the ability to initiate of Shared Reviews; initiation of live collaboration and screen sharing; the ‘Go to Acrobat.com’ menu item; sharing documents via Acrobat.com; and Buzzword document creation
- Add preconfigured network folder, web server folder (WebDAV) or Microsoft SharePoint Workspace servers locations for Shared Reviews
- Add custom or browser-based online comment repositories for legacy workflows
- Changing the default file types that can be attached to PDF documents (for security purposes)
There are a whole host of other settings that can be preconfigured using this tool, including a direct MSI installation table editor and a Registry key tool, so check out Joel’s blog or go to the Adobe Customization Wizard 9 page here for more information, including a link to download it (it’s free, by the way). Documentation on deploying Acrobat and Reader can also be obtained from the Adobe Developer Connection.