TLF Update March 2010

FlashBuilder 4.0 is Released

FlashBuilder 4.0 includes Flex 4.0. TLF 1.0 – the official 1.0 release – is included as textLayout.swc. FlashBuilder is available here.

And of course TLF 1.0 and Flex 4.0 are opensource. The Flex 4 release with Flex 4 and TLF 1.0 source is available here: Flex4 Download

Flex 4.1 Nightly Builds Includes TLF 1.1

Flex 4.1 is not yet released but its opensource tree and nightly builds include TLF 1.1

TLF 1.1 has significant performance improvements for long documents. Scrolling and editing of long documents are both dramatically improved. Try it out! We’re looking for feedback and help in finding issues. You can pull textLayout.swc out of the Flex 4.1 nightly builds.

16 Responses to TLF Update March 2010

1. Marco says:

Is there a list of changes to TLF 1.1?Is there a roadmap for future versions?

2. Alan Stearns says:

You can look at ReleaseNotes.txt to see what’s changed in the 1.1 builds. In the Flex SDK you can find it in frameworks/projects/textLayout.We’re working on a roadmap for the next release of TLF, and will post publicly when we have something finalized.

3. mani says:

Good job, thanks!But there’re still a problem: If u copy “hello world ! 你好!” into below editor, the word “你好” will be hided its top, is it problem?http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/textlayout/demos/

4. Alan Stearns says:

The reason you get those glyphs clipped in vertical text is because the default value for Dominant Baseline is Roman. If you change this (in the Advanced Character controls) to Ideographic Top you’ll get what you want.Current TLF builds have a Locale setting. And the default value for Dominant Baseline is now Auto, which uses Roman when the locale is English and Ideographic Top when the locale is Japanese or Chinese.

5. Lee Graham says:

How about posting a quick sample using Flash instead of Flash Builder?Thanks,Lee

6. Alan Stearns says:

The actionscript samples in http://blogs.adobe.com/tlf/2009/12/new-and-updated-tlf-samples.html work in Flash. It’s just a question of taking the code out of the constructor. Here’s the Hello World example with the packaging and class stripped off:import flashx.textLayout.compose.StandardFlowComposer;import flashx.textLayout.container.ContainerController;import flashx.textLayout.elements.ParagraphElement;import flashx.textLayout.elements.SpanElement;import flashx.textLayout.elements.TextFlow;var textFlow:TextFlow = new TextFlow();var p:ParagraphElement = new ParagraphElement();textFlow.addChild(p);var span:SpanElement = new SpanElement();span.text = “Hello, World”;span.fontSize = 48;p.addChild(span);textFlow.flowComposer.addController(new ContainerController(this, 400, 200));textFlow.flowComposer.updateAllControllers();

7. It seems like the demo app doesnt match the functionality of the video presentation. I’d like to build an app using TLF but I am not convinced it’s ready as a text editor for the web. How should i best dig into this topic?Cheers,James

8. Alan Stearns says:

I’m not sure which demo app or video you’re referring to. The labs.adobe.com demo is quite old. There is a newer demo app in TourDeFlex (http://www.wip3.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/)or our latest sample code post.

9. DiDing says:

Unfortunately,Tlf doesn’t supports table or List.However,Tlfx does.Anyidea?

10. Rafique Gilani says:

1.1 seems to have a funny linked container issue , i have posted it on the forum also was wondering is dome one out here can help me with this .This is what I am talking abt ..http://forums.adobe.com/thread/630238?tstart=0ThanksRafique Gilani

11. Alan Stearns says:

Thanks for the report, Rafique. I’ve logged a bug and we’re looking into what’s causing the problem.

12. Rafique Gilani says:

Hey Alan,Thanks for the heads up ..This is the app which is using TLF 1.1 and I am facing that problem.http://www.rafique-gilani.com/Dump/instacoll/Writer.htmlRobin did give me a fix on the Adobe TLF forum but that solved my problem partially .RegardsRafique Gilani

13. Roger Webster says:

I’ve been trying to use TLF & Spark components together to create linked containers. Unfortunately, when I call textFlow.flowComposer.updateAllControllers() it throws the following exception: Error: addChildAt() is not available in this class. Instead, use addElementAt() or modify the skin, if you have one.This is the result of ContainerController’s addTextLine method calling addChildAt on a SkinnableComponent (Spark, I guess).Any advice? It seems weird that it’s difficult to use TLF with the new Spark components in this way. I’ve tried several variations on which class to use for container, and none of them are happy.

14. Alan Stearns says:

The current spark components are not meant to be used with linked containers. If you want to have linked containers you will need to use base TLF classes like ContainerController.

15. Tahereh says:

where is the Float class?

16. I used Flex 4.1 SDK for my project and noticed a weird bug in my TextAreas.As I scroll down,images and some underlined text disappear.And they reappear when I scroll up again.If I compile with Flex SDK 4.0,there are no such bugs.