Yesterday Adobe announced the latest release of the Elements Products:
Whilst the announcement below positions Elements 9 for the consumer market, these are perfect products for all levels of the School market. As well as great new features (see below) both Mac and Windows support is available.
If you have a strategic opportunity, don’t hesitate to ask the Adobe Education team for help. we’d be only too happy to support you. Here’s the announcement in full.
The latest Elements products give consumers the power and ease of use to do extraordinary storytelling with photos and videos.
Today, Adobe announced the latest versions of our market-leading consumer products: Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Adobe Premiere Elements 9. For the first time, both are available on Windows and Mac platforms.
This line of popular products leverages advanced Adobe technology in software that is accessible to everyday users. The latest versions present groundbreaking features that enable our customers to create even more compelling photos and videos than ever.
Delivering Intelligent, Accessible Features
“With industry-leading products like Photoshop and Premiere Pro in the family, Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are uniquely positioned to leverage the technology the pros use,” said Kevin Connor, vice president of Product Management for Digital Imaging. “Our goal is to deliver to our customers intelligent and accessible features that do all the heavy lifting, empowering them to share high-impact memories easily with friends and family.”
The Elements 9 launch consists of three separate offerings:
- Photoshop Elements 9
- Premiere Elements 9
- Photoshop Elements 9/Premiere Elements 9 Bundle
Hobbyist users love to “wow” their friends and family with amazing photo and video creations – and need help to touch up a photo to remove unwanted elements or produce polished movies with themed graphics and music – but they don’t want to spend hours learning complex tools.
The Elements line distinguishes itself from the competition in a number of ways. In addition to their superior Adobe technology and impressive individual features, these products offer complete solutions with which users can organize, edit, create and share their creative work from one convenient place.
An Important Market
Adobe markets the Elements products to passionate hobbyists and enthusiasts who want to do more with their photos and videos.
“While they are not professional photographers or videographers, Elements customers want to achieve fabulous results. They tend to be the memory keepers in their families or people who love doing fun things to impress their friends,” said Jennifer Apy, product marketing manager, Digital Imaging. “They want software that is accessible and easy to use, yet powerful – with room to grow.”
The hobbyist line is nearly a US $150 million business for Adobe – and growing. Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are the #1 selling consumer photo and video editing software products in North America. Both are top in their respective categories, and Photoshop Elements holds about 80 percent of the market share in the photo-editing category.
These products play an important role in Adobe’s overall strategy. The Elements line:
- expands Adobe’s presence into a large market segment (consumers);
- broadens our marketable base for up-selling our pro products; and
- limits competitors’ market share, thereby strengthening Adobe’s overall competitive positioning.
Photoshop Elements 9
Two exciting new features in Photoshop Elements 9 – an enhanced spot-healing brush and expanded panoramas – leverage content-aware fill technology, which was introduced with Photoshop CS5 and is one of our most exciting innovations ever.
Another new tool, the Photomerge Style Match, makes drab photos dramatic by analyzing particular characteristics, such as contrast or color tone, and automatically applying those qualities to another photo – enabling users to replicate any photo style easily.
Other new features include:
- Several new Guided Edit options walk users step-by-step through the process of achieving cool editing effects: Out of Bounds, for example, makes a photo element appear to leap off the page in 3D.
- Elements users can now composite richly layered photos using layer masks.
- For the first time, the shared Photoshop and Premiere Elements Organizer is available on the Mac platform, offering automated analysis and tagging so users can quickly organize, find and display photo and video clips from one convenient location.
Premiere Elements 9
With this release, Premiere Elements 9 is available for the first time on the Mac platform. In addition, a number of new features make it easier than ever for users to create and show incredible movies.
New features include the following:
- In addition to hundreds of Hollywood-style video effects already available, users can now easily turn a movie into an animated cartoon. There are several options available to create a variety of illustrated looks.
- Following popular trends, users can now import video clips from a wider variety of devices, including the Flip Video™ camera and DSLR still cameras, and can enjoy optimized performance when editing HD video.
- In addition to enabling users to share movies on DVD or Blue ray disc, this version makes it more convenient for consumers to share their movies online, complete with DVD-style indexes and chapter menus.
Responding to Consumer Trends
The Elements line is so popular in part because Adobe tracks and responds quickly to consumer trends.
“More people are shooting video with devices that may not capture quality audio, so we’ve included easy-to-use audio cleanup tools to help users quickly reduce background noise. We’re also integrating access to popular third-party services for printing photo creations, such as Costco, Shutterfly and Kodak, because that’s what users want to do,” Jennifer explained. “And given the popularity of social networking, we’ve also included, in both products, the ability to share photos and videos quickly to Facebook.”
This aggressive focus on customers, in concert with Adobe’s quality technology and a regular offering of great new features, is a recipe for maintaining our leadership position in the consumer space into the future.