Where is the Typewriter tool in Acrobat X?

You’re used to using the Typewriter tool in earlier versions of Acrobat; and can’t find it now. Don’t worry, its still there in Adobe Acrobat X.

Choose Tools > Content > Add or Edit Text Box.

Accessing the Add or Edit Text Box tool in Acrobat X

Accessing the Add or Edit Text Box tool in Acrobat X

The Typewriter toolbar that you are familiar with displays. See Acrobat online help topic here to learn how to use the Typewriter toolbar.

{Tools | Comment | Share} are no longer menu items. They are called task buttons and are located on the top-right of the application window. When you click on these buttons, the task pane opens and display the buttons inside. The buttons are highlighted in the screenshot.

Bookmark and Share

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by David A on January 25, 2013 - 1:18 pm

I am using Acrobat Pro X. I’ve been able to change the font and color, then set it as a default. But now when I add a new text box, not for writing in, but for putting over an area of a page, to highlight it with shaded (opacity) colors, visually I’m unable to see the shaded color on my screen. When I set the percentage and then print the page, it prints with the correct shaded color. Problem is on my screen, I can’t see any color but a white sort of milk over the highlighted part of the page. Any ideas how to make this visable on screen?

2. #2 by Deb K on February 1, 2013 - 1:58 am

I just received Adobe Acrobat X Standard version and am having several problems.

I created a Stamp that needs to contain variable data. I have no problem entering the data each time I use the stamp but none of the tools that are supposed to allow me to edit the text inside a stamp work. It worked with the previous version. When I double click on the stamp a comment box comes up with is not at all helpful. Please advise.

I need to bold text inside of a text box but that option is not available in the “typewriter”. Also not available as far as I can see are underline, strikeout etc. in a text box. Those only seem to be available when doing annotations on original document text.

3. #3 by RonR on February 23, 2013 - 1:10 am

I don’t understand why the Text Box feature seems to have disappeared leaving only the limited Typewriter feature which does not allow using a font larger than 24. Maybe Adobe misunderstood how their customers use their products or maybe I was using previous editions in an unintended way. At any rate, I’ve never seen a program that purposefully limited your options to a small subset such as allowing only a maximum font size of 24.

4. #4 by RonR on February 23, 2013 - 1:16 am

Simon :
    Vikrant,
    The tool that I can’t find in Acrobat X Pro is the “Text field Tool” that was available in 7 Pro. This tool allowed me to create a text box with formatting options (allignment, color, font). If you could point me toward a solution I’d be very grateful.
    Thanks,
    Simon

I would also like the answer to this question. Typewriter is nearly useless in comparison to the Text Field Tool.

• #5 by Vikrant on February 25, 2013 - 11:46 am

In the right pane, look under Tools > Content Editing > Add text tool (in Acrobat XI) to access the Text Field tool. In Acrobat X, the location is the same but the name might be slightly different.
      Another option is using the Text Box tool (Comments > Drawing Markups > Text Box )

5. #6 by Tomas on April 4, 2013 - 3:59 pm

Our university´s computers all “downgraded” to Adobe Acrobat X Pro from 9 about a year ago. And it really sucks. How could Adobe screw up a good program like 9?

What I’m after is the move pages within a document feature. This was really easy and simple in 9, but how do I easily switch the order of the pages within a document with X?

• #7 by Vikrant on April 4, 2013 - 4:33 pm

It’s the same as A9.

Click the Page Thumbnails button in the Navigation pane to open the Page Thumbnails panel, and select one or more page thumbnails.
      To move a page, drag the page number box of the corresponding page thumbnail or the page thumbnail itself to the new location. A bar appears to show the new position of the page thumbnail. The pages are renumbered.

• #8 by Arthur W Lichtenberger on November 12, 2013 - 7:50 pm

The question that is not getting answered: For Mac users with Adobe Professional-10. If we use the typerwriter icon tool (which seems to be just the text box tool in Mac, as hovering above it indicates: add or edit text box), how do we change the font size and font color. Hitting CtrL-E simply brings up a dumbed down properties window that indicates the author. It does not bring up a window that allows one to change the font size/color. Note, if one is using the ‘T’ command to edit the text of the actual adobe file, and one hits CtrL-E, it does bring up a window that allows one to change font color/size. So, for the apple users out there, how is this achieved- the command must be different. HELP (incredibly frustrating).

6. #9 by Danny on April 11, 2013 - 6:41 pm

I just don’t understand why they would make things more difficult in XL. Now when I email from XL it doesn’t fill out the subject. It did in 8. Now the typewriter tool is replaced by a text box which you have to dig for. In version 8 I had a button up top. And I’ve only used it for less than a day. Everything is more cumbersome. I don’t even like the way it looks. 8 was much more appealing. I hate this program. I just wasted $139. I’m uninstalling it and reloading 8. I will NEVER buy another adobe product!

• #10 by Vikrant on April 12, 2013 - 2:12 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not liking the experience with Acrobat XI. I agree with you that the change from Acrobat 8 will feel quite abrupt, but give it a chance. You’ll find Acrobat XI to be a lot better when it comes to performance and functionality. Some tools have been renamed, and others rearranged, but most of the functionality exists, either as you are used to, or most probably enhanced. If you have any specific issues, do let me know, and I can either work with you directly, or get you in touch with somebody who can.

You can also submit your feature requests here.

7. #11 by Monsi on May 1, 2013 - 9:59 am

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you can help me with a problem I’m having with Acrobat X Pro. When I make any changes, be it adding or deleting a word, apply a style …any change, to a document that contains several paragraphs that reside in a text box, once I click outside the text box after the change has been made, the paragraphs collapse into one. I then have to go back and recreate them using shift + return keys. It’s driving me crazy. The paragraphs stay separated as long as I don’t make anymore changes.

Most likely it’s me that’s not doing things right, but I haven’t been able to figure out what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

8. #12 by Lori on June 28, 2013 - 1:14 am

I need to create a form with text boxes that are required to be filled out. I tried everything I could think of. I went into text field properties and checked the required box. It says on instructions I found saying that it could not be saved until all the required text was filled in. I filled out a few lines and was able to save it with only a few lines filled in. I have Adobe X pro. I tried to save it both in Adobe X pro and reader.

9. #13 by Mark on June 29, 2013 - 2:52 am

10. #14 by Maria on August 29, 2013 - 8:51 pm

I have lost the pop-up tool bar to change font, font size, color, etc. I’m using a Mac and hitting command+E brings up properties but no tools to change font attributes. I have tried to select text that I added with the typewriter tool, hit command+E and have also then tried to double click within the text but all command+E does is bring up the useless properties box. Is there another way to get it to appear? I might have drug it off the screen… in that case, what do I do?

11. #15 by lisa on November 12, 2013 - 7:48 pm

thanks tj!!!!!

12. #16 by none on November 21, 2013 - 8:12 pm

I can’t find a way to bold fonts. All I get with Ctrl-E Properties is my name. I’ve been trying for hours. At the point of drawing the font letters in a graphics program and bringing my words in as part of a picture. Why is making Bold so difficult, when even the cheapest/free program with any text editing at all does this instantly and intuitively?

13. #17 by M.dom on December 4, 2013 - 12:44 am

Hi, I have Adobe XI and I can’t rotate only 1 page.
    I can’t find either the “TOOL” at right.
    Can you help me please.
    Thanks!

• #18 by 1n1r2 on December 30, 2013 - 11:38 pm

Try this:

R-Click anywhere in the single page.
      Choose Rotate …

Did that work as expected?
      I also had trouble with this in XI.

14. #19 by june on December 13, 2013 - 4:27 pm

New user of Adobe XL
    How can I search a pdf file for a specific word.

• #20 by Vikrant on December 13, 2013 - 6:32 pm

Control or command + F.

15. #21 by Brian Smith on January 5, 2014 - 11:32 pm

I frequently use Adobe Reader X version 10.1.8. Originally there was a Sign panel with Add Text, which I found extremely useful. Two weeks ago this panel disappeared. How can I get it back?

16. #22 by Roy on March 12, 2014 - 12:07 am

I am using Reader XI and am unable to find the “bold” text option. Choosing the “Tools” button does not give me the “Content” pick that is shown in the help screen, Help!

17. #23 by Bill on April 30, 2014 - 3:20 am

When I use Typewriter (Add or Edit Text Box) on Acrobat X pro, the “Times New Roman Bold” font is not in the list. Typewriter only lists “Times New Roman font”, but all Times New Roman fonts (Bold, Italic and underline are available in MS office software. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? Appreciate your time and help.

18. #24 by Bobby on June 6, 2014 - 1:53 am

Would you please use the MS Word shortcut keys. Don’t be stubborn just because you didn’t “invent” them. These are what we are used to; JUST DO IT!!!

19. #25 by brittany on July 23, 2014 - 6:16 pm

Can the text boxes created through the Content toolbar not be rotated?? The typewriter panel seems pretty useless to me too! No bold, italic, etc!

20. #26 by JoeBoggs on August 27, 2014 - 3:07 am

I am now on hour number 5 of figuring out how to add some text, make part of it bold and position it. Good job, Adobe, on making something that should be so simple next to impossible to execute. I have seen the question asked over and over but not answered:
    “i cannot find how to change font, highlight the text and all normal editing like in word…where are all these tools?”

(will not be published)