Can I comment on PDFs using the free Adobe Reader?

[ 07-Jan-2013: Post updated for Reader XI]

The short answer is Yes. Get Reader XI.

The long answer is also Yes.

• Add Sticky notes and highlights to any PDF using Reader X.
  • All Commenting and Markup tools are available in Reader XI. So if you haven’t already, update to Reader XI.

In older versions of Reader, the complete set of commenting and drawing markup tools are available if:

• If the author has extended the PDF for Reader. Ask the author to save as Reader Extended PDF  ( In Acrobat X or XI, File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Commenting & Measuring)
  • PDF is under email review. (Email review automatically extends the PDF for Reader users)
  • PDF is under a shared review workflow.

I hope that helps.

Bookmark and Share

1. #1 by MP on January 26, 2011 - 1:57 am

In Acrobat X, File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF >
    I do not have the Enable Commenting & Measuring option. I only have the Enable Forms Fill in & Save in Acrobat Reader option. Does anyone know why I don’t have the option. Thank you.

• #2 by djWebb on July 23, 2013 - 1:57 am

I too had that problem. I believe, the instruction should have read “File > Save As Other >….”.

2. #3 by MS on February 24, 2011 - 1:52 pm

I have just installed reader x, and use it for marking up large drawings, normally marked up by different clients on sheets sizes from A3 to A0 – is there anyway the highlighter tool – an excellent feature btw, can be adapted so that as with a normal highlighter an area can be circled? or do I still need to print and scan back in.

3. #4 by Sandeep Verma on April 26, 2011 - 4:24 pm

MP :
    In Acrobat X, File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF >

MP– Is that product deployed? Was it a single (Stand alone) installation? It might have been disabled while creating the installation package by the admin using the customization wizard. Is this acrobat X standard? Although i guess it is available in both flavors of Acrobat X.

MS :

MS– highlighter is used to highlight a line or word (I am talking about the yellow inked marker that has fluorescent color). If you want to highlight an area, use a rectangle tool or circle tool. Is there any way i am wrong or misunderstood you?

4. #5 by JM on May 13, 2011 - 2:32 am

I’m having the same problem as MP posted on January 26, 201, in that the Enable Commenting & Measuring option is not available. Our IT guy just checked the installed options, all of which are enabled, but still nothing.
    Any other ideas, this is really holding up our document reviews.
    Thanks,
    JM

• #6 by Vikrant on May 13, 2011 - 10:05 am

Can’t be sure, without seeing a document, but could you check if there is some security applied {Ctrl+D > Security}.

How did you create this PDF? Does this happen with all PDF documents? Did you try with a plain PDF file.

5. #7 by Karen on May 14, 2011 - 12:48 am

I am running windows 7 and I downloaded the Adobe Acrobat X for 30 days free. I can not print the .pdf files I get and error: undefindedresource
    Offenging Command: findresource

stack:
    /XARVPO+ArielUnicodeMS false

What is wrong?

6. #8 by skierpage on August 5, 2011 - 5:08 am

Where in Document Properties can I tell if a PDF was saved with this “Reader Extended PDF > Enable Commenting & Measuring”, and has “email review” and “shared review workflow”?

I have various PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x) documents made by Acrobat Distiller 6.0, they all say Commenting: Allowed in Document Properties > Security. When I view them in Standalone Adobe Reader there is has no “Drawing Markups” palette under Comments; when I view them in the Adobe Reader Mozilla plug-in the palette is there, but all the tools in it seem disabled. Please fix Reader’s document properties so it better indicates what features are available.

7. #9 by Debbie on December 12, 2011 - 11:57 pm

I received a document that I am able to add comments to in Reader X, but even thought he highlighter is “available” it doesn’t do anything. When I select it, I get a different cursor, but I’m unable to select any text. What is the trick to the highlighter?

• #10 by Vikrant on December 13, 2011 - 11:00 am

No trick really. You just need to select some text. So in this particular document there might not be any “text”. What you think is text could just as well be an image that contains text. Could you try on another document and see if the highlighter works?

8. #11 by Linus on January 17, 2012 - 5:05 pm

When creating PDF Documents using Acrobat 9.4.7 Standard (or it’s Distiller component), commenting is always “Not Allowed” in the standalone reader.
    This is a corporate computer and I am not allowed to “simply” update to $adobeProductVersion.
    Is there a way to save PDF documents using Acrobat 9.4.7 Standard so that commenting will be allowed for the standalone Adobe Reader?

9. #12 by moshe on January 5, 2013 - 12:24 pm

Exactly what i needed!

mlevi2538@gmail.com

• #13 by Sorgulama on June 29, 2014 - 12:14 am

Ok friend i will try to connect you

10. #14 by Güncel Bilgi on April 15, 2013 - 10:48 am

Thanks for all Adobe family

11. #15 by e-devlet on June 8, 2013 - 6:59 pm

i had adobe flash player update problem but fixed now. Thank you so much.

12. #16 by Yegeta on January 23, 2014 - 1:58 pm

I have been looking the entire net search about this, but without result. I couldn’t add comments or highlight on the pdf i created unless I use Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Your post solved my problem. thanks

13. #17 by Timothy Trimble on March 26, 2014 - 4:35 am

I’m a writer/author and my editor likes to use Adobe Reader for editing/commenting my work. This is a frustrating process for me since it seems that Reader has a tough time where there are a lot of comments. I’m currently working on a piece that has over 500 comments for the entire document. Some of the issues I’m seeing are:
    - Slowness to scroll
    - Slowness to respond to clicks
    - Clicking the up/down arrows on the scroll bar sometimes causes scrolling through multiple pages instead of next/previous comment.
    - It doesn’t keep track of where I left off. I always have to go hunting for where I left off, even though I save before exiting.

Thx for your time in looking at these issues.

14. #18 by Bilgi Ozetim on April 25, 2014 - 10:56 pm

Thx for your support, Adobe always beside users.

15. #19 by เขียนโปรแกรม on May 11, 2014 - 11:58 am

Your post solved my problem. thanks

16. #20 by Sorgulama on May 21, 2014 - 3:13 am

Adobe is life of web. Thanks for support us.

17. #21 by Benchick on August 30, 2014 - 8:56 pm

It would be really nice if the product’s tools WORKED!!!!! I’ve been able to use the highlighter tool in the past, but all of a sudden, POOF! It doesn’t work anymore. I’m so glad I installed the most recent update and lost a feature that worked perfectly well before I installed the improvements.

(will not be published)