Share or Save arrow61 Responses
  1. Jack
    June 19, 2014 - 9:12 pm

If you’re trying to crop an image to the size of your artboard, you can open the Illustrator file you want to crop in Photoshop (assuming you have both). One of the options when you import the file is “Crop to:” with a drop down menu. Select “Bounding Box” and that automatically crops the image to the size of your artboard.

2. Colleen Kielton
    June 22, 2014 - 3:58 am

got it. Open Id, crop your image. Then drag and drop into your file in Ai

3. aeamonaco
    August 22, 2014 - 7:25 pm

Does this crop function work in Ai and in Id ?
    Can’t seem to export to another format than the one i am working on.
    What you do think ?

4. Rob Williams
    August 28, 2014 - 7:49 pm

Is there any way I can crop in a 3d mode, this is very simple cropping even it can be done in mspaint.

5. Jason
    October 1, 2014 - 1:51 am

This was helpful I always wished illustrator could be just like photo shop crop tool. I do get the reason why though.

6. Artculturemusic
    November 28, 2014 - 6:53 pm

Hi, thank you for your advices ! I always cropped my images on A. photoshop because i won’t be able to use adobe indesign with all his functions and that’s too bad. So, now I can use it with fluent creativity. Thank you.

7. Tim
    December 21, 2014 - 6:24 am

I am using Illustrator CS Version 15.1.0. My Transparency Panel is exactly the same as the one in your video but I do not have a “Make Mask” option. I am confused because I saw this same Cropping with Clipping Mask” on Adobe TV and it said this method would work in both CS5 and CS6. Any help is appreciated.

8. Pamela Frost Dennis
    February 8, 2015 - 3:23 am

I tried Amy’s (#2 comment) suggestion, and it worked some of the time for me. Then I found a very simple way to do it If you work on a MAC. The solution uses “Preview”.
    Here is a link to the easy instructions: http://www.cultofmac.com/216093/create-your-own-transparent-image-files-with-preview-os-x-tips/

9. Evelyn
    March 15, 2015 - 2:49 am

For me the most easy way is to use artboard tool, but of course that come use some constraints. But is pretty fast comparing to others