Creative Cloud, Creative Suite 6, and Mavericks (10.9)

totem-creative-cloud-80x80Apple announced the general availability of Mac OS X Mavericks today. The natural question to ask is, should I upgrade or not? Will my existing software work? Will my Creative Cloud apps continue to work?

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Cloud applications and Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mavericks. (v10.9). All Adobe CC and CS6 products are compatible, but a few products require updates to the latest builds to work properly. Adobe Photoshop® CS5, CS4 and CS3 were also tested with Mac OS X Mavericks and there are currently no major issues known..

Read the complete OS Compatibility and FAQs for Mavericks.

As with any new release of an OS, there may be unexpected issues that arise that were not discovered during testing. If you encounter any issues, please report them using the bug reporting form.

Update #1

The excellent folks over at Illustrator responded to the issues that you’ve reported. They’ve uncovered two reasons why you might be having trouble.

1.  Due to Astute Vector Scribe plug-insSee http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mavericks-os-x-109.html
  2. Adobe Illustrator CS 6 fails to launch because of the requirement of Java at the runtime. See  http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mac-os-108x.html

Update #2

Summarizing a couple of problems and solutions from the comments below:

• Problem with Open/Save dialog boxes — Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open or File > Save dialog (quickly – before it disappears). There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers). — Thanks, Meredith!
  • With a release of any new OS, often default directory permissions are modified. This may cause trouble with older software. It may be worthwhile to check and grant read/write permissions to product folders.
  • Photoshop + dual Monitors: Go to System Preferences, click Mission Control, and turn off “Displays have separate Spaces.” This will preserve the multi-monitor setup when you switch out of and back to an Adobe app.
  • We have seen some reports that users are unable to sign in with the Creative Cloud app for desktop. For a resolution, see http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unable-login-creative-cloud-248.html

Update #3

Illustrator update 17.0.1 is out today, 11/18/2013. To see details about this update see, Illustrator 17.0.1 Release Notes.

Bookmark and Share

, , , ,

1. #1 by Ronald Perruchon on October 25, 2013 - 12:28 am

Indesign CC consistently hangs and will not run with the Mave. Removed plugins, reinstalled app & app manager, removed prefs. Noticed an ID CC cloud update will try that.

2. #2 by Ronald Perruchon on October 25, 2013 - 12:40 am

Regarding the IDCC hang. It appears to be associated with opening a file, very slow to open, however eventually it does. Same with saving a file. Probably a finder issue. by the way the file is on my desktop. Other CC apps, PS AI seem to be normal so far.

3. #3 by dominique on October 25, 2013 - 12:49 am

in Lightroom 5, when sorting images in the Library module using the metadata and/or attributes in the filters bar (top), the count of images for each category is not displayed anymore… very anoying!

4. #4 by Kenneth on October 25, 2013 - 12:51 am

This java update worked for me. Illustrator CS6 runs fine after the update : ) Hope it helps
    ttp://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?viewlocale=en_US

• #5 by Alessandro Leite on October 25, 2013 - 3:23 am

i’ll try this, because my Illustrator CS6 do not export PDF after upgrading.

Neither native PDF or Normalized PDF (Esko)… but, save as PDF as well… Thanks!

• #6 by Uygar on October 28, 2013 - 9:15 pm

This worked for me as well…

5. #7 by Kenneth on October 25, 2013 - 12:53 am

Ooop. bad link. this is the right one:

• #8 by Alessandro Leite on October 25, 2013 - 3:36 am

This atualization do not fix the trouble of export PDF on Illustrator… Did someone had this trouble or just me???

Reinstall is an option?

6. #9 by Ralf Salpius on October 25, 2013 - 2:15 am

dreamweaver breaks after a right click together and displays an error message

7. #10 by NightwatchNL on October 25, 2013 - 2:43 am

[cynical]
    Before you installed Mavericks, you all read the Adobe response on Mavericks:

No major issues. Hmmm. So all of our problems are not major, but only minor problems? [/cynical]

8. #11 by azabache on October 25, 2013 - 6:54 am

Updating the Java runtime environment worked for me (even ID CS5.5). Remember Java is still needed for most CS & CC applications. Plug-ins, that’s another kettle o’ fish.

9. #12 by azabache on October 25, 2013 - 6:55 am

Updating the Java Runtime Environment worked for me. Even InDesign CS 5.5 works. Plug-ins are another kettle o’ fish.

10. #13 by Jack on October 25, 2013 - 11:37 am

After installing Mavericks, my computer does not recognize any of my Dreamweaver files… It just opens them in Safari.

Any suggestions?

• #14 by Luuk Lamers on October 25, 2013 - 8:27 pm

As with all files that this happens to:
      1. right click the file
      2. “Get Info”
      3. Under “Open With:” choose Dreamweaver
      4. Click “Change all…”

This a very basic OSX operation that normally happens to mp3 and video files when changing your favorite music/video application. It’s a shame so many people don’t know about this…

11. #15 by Andy on October 25, 2013 - 2:28 pm

Indesign CC is now running very slowly under os 10.9, it takes a couple of seconds to select text with the text tool, is there any updates planned?

12. #16 by Erika J on October 25, 2013 - 3:16 pm

One annoying problem concerning InDesign CS6 (and I guess, other Adobe CS6 as well): I like to work on one bigger screen and one smaller, arranging my own workspace with all panels open and arrnged in groups on the smaller screen and my “working window” on the bigger. After upgrading to Mavericks, the open panels keep moving to the bigger screen all the time. I have tried to move them back to the smaller one, saving a new workspace. But as soon as I leave InDesign, the panels move back to the bigger screen again. Will this be taken care of in CS6 or do I have to upgrade to CC eventually?

• #17 by Katie Fritz on October 30, 2013 - 9:34 am

I had this happen to me as well. It’s a setting that got changed in Mavericks. All you have to do is go under System Preferences, Mission Control, and UNcheck “Displays Have Separate Spaces”. Your problem should be solved.

13. #18 by Dan on October 25, 2013 - 4:16 pm

AE isn’t even opening, reading “You can’t use this version of the application “adobe After Effects CS6″ with this version of OS X. You have ‘Adobe After Effects CS6′ 11.0.2.”

Do I just sit around and wait for an update while my work backs up?

• #19 by Javier on October 25, 2013 - 10:21 pm

My thoughts exactly. I’m sitting on a deadline while this sh*t is happening…Dear, God, why do you hate me sometimes.

• #20 by Rasheed on October 26, 2013 - 4:22 am

I’m having the same problem with After Effects CC (v12). On top of that none of my other Adobe programs are working correctly, although different bugs are happening to each.

• #21 by Timothy on October 26, 2013 - 8:04 am

Same problem here. Did adobe inform you of the solution already? Or do they have the solution already for this?

• #22 by Kim on October 31, 2013 - 8:38 pm

14. #23 by Martin on October 25, 2013 - 8:29 pm

Issue with Lightroom 5 (CC). The gradients in for the sliders in the UI are missing. So far everything seems to function ok appears to just be a display issue.

15. #24 by Luuk Lamers on October 25, 2013 - 8:30 pm

Is Adobe CS/CC EVER going to go native? I would like full screen support for one.

16. #25 by Pro User on October 26, 2013 - 1:10 am

If you foolishly upgraded to Mavericks already and are working on Adobe products professionally – you are an idiot.

If you don’t know why I can’t help you.

But I will tell you this. Always wait for at least one update from Adobe and Apple each before you upgrade your OS next time. I usually wait 6 months, as hard as it is.

• #26 by David Owen on October 27, 2013 - 7:00 am

Often artists fit that label well. Sigh. It was late and I was on autopilot and you know the rest. CC won’t save as – the dialogue box dissappears instantly as soon as I try to select a folder.

• #27 by mark on October 28, 2013 - 3:14 pm

I love the really unhelpful 20:20 hindsight vision people who like to blame the user for issues. Why aren’t we entitled to expect Apple have tested and solved these problems BEFORE launching it to the world. Development by user shouldn’t be acceptable, and isn’t in any other industry. What I need a way to rectify the situation so that I can get back to working, not ‘you are an idiot’ comments.

• #28 by Meredith on October 31, 2013 - 10:02 pm

David –

• #29 by Olaf on November 4, 2013 - 7:04 am

Insulting people for expecting products to work as advertised completely invalidates your title as “Pro User.” I certainly hope you don’t function in any paid support role, and if you do, I hope your attitude gets your ass fired. Even if upgrading to new releases may be foolish, your response provides nothing of value and only marks you as someone possessed of the pathetic need to crap on others to improve marginally on your own deep self-loathing. Rather than spout pointless blather, get some professional help so that you might actually provide something of worth in these forums or elsewhere.

17. #30 by Matt McDonald on October 26, 2013 - 1:17 am

After upgrading to Mavericks, it put these
    ACCFinderBundleLoader_32
    ACCFinderBundleLoader_64
    in an incompatible software folder. Any reason for concern?

18. #31 by William Key on October 26, 2013 - 2:43 am

After upgrading to Mavericks, I received a notice that Adobe Creative Cloud was incompatible and now the Creative Cloud application which monitors for updates won’t launch at all.

19. #32 by Jim Kingston on October 26, 2013 - 3:44 am

Photoshop cc won’t save as on Mavericks. using 2 monitors

• #33 by Alicia Buelow on October 27, 2013 - 4:43 am

I am having the same problem saving files from Photoshop and Illustrator. Is there a fix?

• #34 by Rosemary Lynch on October 30, 2013 - 7:08 am

Update to Mavericks. I’m running Adobe Creative Cloud. In Photoshop CS6 having trouble with “save as” dialogue box disappearing moments after appearing without enough time to use it! The problem is sporadic – sometimes it works and then it just won’t.

I’m also experiencing problems opening files from within Photoshop.

I am using two monitors. I will try with just one to see if that helps. I am using Dropbox for my file storage so I am also trying working off my desktop to see if that’s better.

I’m getting some crazy error messages like this one:

Software is all up to date. Java Runtime up to date. Language Preferences already – English Primary…

Hope to find a fix soon!

• #35 by Kristine Tague on October 31, 2013 - 9:45 pm

I can’t get it to save either! In Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator. Very frustrated.

• #36 by Meredith on October 31, 2013 - 9:57 pm

Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open and File > Save dialog. There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers).

20. #37 by Steve Greenblatt on October 26, 2013 - 4:35 pm

I guess I’m lucky in that I had not experienced any problems with CC apps on 10.9. But Font and File Sync are kaput. When might this issue be addressed? Because of this issue (and Suitcase Fusion 5 incompatibility), I’ve actually restored 10.8.5 ’til these workflow pot holes are filled in.

(will not be published)