Creative Cloud, Creative Suite 6, and Mavericks (10.9)

totem-creative-cloud-80x80Apple announced the general availability of Mac OS X Mavericks today. The natural question to ask is, should I upgrade or not? Will my existing software work? Will my Creative Cloud apps continue to work?

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Cloud applications and Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mavericks. (v10.9). All Adobe CC and CS6 products are compatible, but a few products require updates to the latest builds to work properly. Adobe Photoshop® CS5, CS4 and CS3 were also tested with Mac OS X Mavericks and there are currently no major issues known..

Read the complete OS Compatibility and FAQs for Mavericks.

As with any new release of an OS, there may be unexpected issues that arise that were not discovered during testing. If you encounter any issues, please report them using the bug reporting form.

Update #1

The excellent folks over at Illustrator responded to the issues that you’ve reported. They’ve uncovered two reasons why you might be having trouble.

1.  Due to Astute Vector Scribe plug-insSee http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mavericks-os-x-109.html
  2. Adobe Illustrator CS 6 fails to launch because of the requirement of Java at the runtime. See  http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mac-os-108x.html

Update #2

Summarizing a couple of problems and solutions from the comments below:

• Problem with Open/Save dialog boxes – Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open or File > Save dialog (quickly – before it disappears). There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers). — Thanks, Meredith!
  • With a release of any new OS, often default directory permissions are modified. This may cause trouble with older software. It may be worthwhile to check and grant read/write permissions to product folders.
  • Photoshop + dual Monitors: Go to System Preferences, click Mission Control, and turn off “Displays have separate Spaces.” This will preserve the multi-monitor setup when you switch out of and back to an Adobe app.
  • We have seen some reports that users are unable to sign in with the Creative Cloud app for desktop. For a resolution, see http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unable-login-creative-cloud-248.html

Update #3

Illustrator update 17.0.1 is out today, 11/18/2013. To see details about this update see, Illustrator 17.0.1 Release Notes.

Bookmark and Share

, , , ,

1. #1 by Ralf on October 26, 2013 - 9:10 pm

Ilustrator CC crashes every single time at startup
    Already did:
    - update java
    - remove plugins
    - remove .ai cc
    - re-install .ai cc
    - re-install java from apple support link

ITS MAKING ME REALLY MADD!!!!!
    NOTHING WORKS..

2. #2 by James on October 26, 2013 - 10:39 pm

Don’t do it people! Mavericks does_not play well with cs6 – ill, ae, dw all are 100% non-functional.

3. #5 by Susan on October 27, 2013 - 5:22 am

Photoshop cc starts out working but eventually tasks come up as white boxes. i.e. pulling up the levels dialog box produces a white box. There’s nothing I can do to get out of it but to force quit the software. I haven’t tried Illustrator yet.

• #6 by Carl on November 7, 2013 - 5:21 am

same exact thing happening to me.

4. #7 by az on October 27, 2013 - 5:46 am

hope this will help for Adobe AE CC on Maveric :)

5. #8 by D Evans on October 27, 2013 - 10:51 am

After installing OSX 10.9 CS5 Photoshop refuses to open. Bridge opens but cannot link to Photoshop. CS4 Photoshop likewise doesn’t open! Thanks guys!

• #9 by Steph on October 27, 2013 - 6:32 pm

Install java it solved most of problems
      open terminal type ‘java -version’ and if it’s not already installed you’ll be prompted to do so. Or you can download it straight from Oracle.
      Illustrator is still non operational, it launches but that’s about it.

6. #10 by KMiller on October 27, 2013 - 7:34 pm

Adobe released a patch for the AE CC problem:
    Worked fine once I installed it

• #11 by oscar on October 28, 2013 - 7:34 am

I can’t open the update and i tried to reinstall AE CC and still doesn’t work
      Help!!

7. #12 by Jim Thomson on October 27, 2013 - 8:40 pm

Most problems are related to Java not being updated or using 3rd party plugins. Have to agree with other posts about waiting to update and running time machine. Folks, your CS3 shipped in 2007. Yet you expect it to work without issues in a 2013 OS? Not realistic. These are minor glitches that will be quickly fixed. Next time wait, check your app compatibility, then you may find out you shouldn’t update the OS. Anyone who doesn’t do this is just asking for trouble.

8. #13 by justnorris on October 27, 2013 - 11:59 pm

“Render > Lighting Effects” in Photoshop doesn’t work at all. I can’t drag light sources around. Very annoying.

9. #14 by Ron King on October 28, 2013 - 8:26 pm

I don;t know whether others have experienced this, but Photoshop CS6 Extended is so slow it’s unconscionable. Takes a long time to switch layers, sometimes tools get hung up and I can’t switch from one to the other, calculating area/perimeter, etc takes forever, etc etc, and I’ve got a Mac Pro 12 core @ 2.66 GHZ w 64 GB of RAM, a SSD system/application drive, and no 3rd party plugins!! If anyone has any hints/suggestions, I’d sure appreciate it! I have a feeling it’s just that with every upgrade, the program gets more bloated and just needs a good cleanout!!

10. #15 by ana cano on October 28, 2013 - 10:44 pm

i’ve updated my laptop to mavericks, and when i try to open Adobe Cs6 … it simply doen’t. How can i solve this???

11. #16 by Corey George on October 29, 2013 - 9:02 pm

Photoshop CC window positions on dual monitors get their positions reset every time you switch out out of Photoshop to the Finder or another program. turning off App Nap doesn’t help.

Anyone else seen this problem?

• #17 by Corey George on October 29, 2013 - 9:12 pm

disabling Displays have separate Spaces in Mission Control seems to fix it.

12. #18 by kat on October 30, 2013 - 9:21 am

Help! I installed Mavericks and now all my adobe CS6 has been reverted to a trial version. No idea why! its a legit copy but I can’t find the key and now it won’t sign me in to any of them.
    How do I resolve this??????

13. #20 by YanaH on October 30, 2013 - 8:28 pm

Adobe After Effects refuses to open. I get a message” You can’t use this version of the adobe application…with this version of OS X. After researching the problem online, I found that I would need to wait for The After Effects CC (12.0.1) update to come out, which seems only available to Creative Cloud members??! Well, I’m not a creative cloud member…just purchased the creative suite 6 this year. What am I to do??

14. #22 by Norm on October 31, 2013 - 12:21 am

InDesign CC, Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC work fine, except when opening files, the programs stop responding and after 5 minutes the file opens up! Uninstalled/Installed InDesign CC and finally reinstalled Mavericks… no luck!

• #23 by Meredith on October 31, 2013 - 9:56 pm

Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open dialog. There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers).

15. #24 by delio leon on October 31, 2013 - 2:15 am

Premier Pro CC is not working at all. Yesterday after I spend more than 3 hrs on the phone with Adobe Technical Support they told that they need more time to find the solutions to my problem because they did everything the could.

16. #25 by Jay on October 31, 2013 - 2:58 am

“Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Cloud applications”… Then why are there so many problems. I have never had or seen this many issues with a new software update. I would rather go back to the days I had to buy a new OS. Giving it for free must have been rushed.

17. #26 by Dr. Powell on October 31, 2013 - 4:52 am

I use adobe Connect to share my desktop (v. 9) and if I upgrade to Maverick – is this going to be a problem?

18. #28 by Kim on October 31, 2013 - 8:47 pm

I’m having problems getting the Creative Cloud file sync to work. It shows all files on the server pre-Mavericks, but not updating new files. I do have access to the new files on my local drive in the CC folder. Also having general syncing problems- dropbox, xmarks, etc. Am I missing something?

19. #29 by Meredith on October 31, 2013 - 10:00 pm

David Owen :
    Often artists fit that label well. Sigh. It was late and I was on autopilot and you know the rest. CC won’t save as – the dialogue box dissappears instantly as soon as I try to select a folder.

20. #30 by dersu on October 31, 2013 - 11:11 pm

Everything crashes. update won’t let products open. Please help, i pay too much f’ing money to have this all not be tested before a launch this large!!!

(will not be published)