Creative Cloud, Creative Suite 6, and Mavericks (10.9)

totem-creative-cloud-80x80Apple announced the general availability of Mac OS X Mavericks today. The natural question to ask is, should I upgrade or not? Will my existing software work? Will my Creative Cloud apps continue to work?

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Cloud applications and Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mavericks. (v10.9). All Adobe CC and CS6 products are compatible, but a few products require updates to the latest builds to work properly. Adobe Photoshop® CS5, CS4 and CS3 were also tested with Mac OS X Mavericks and there are currently no major issues known..

Read the complete OS Compatibility and FAQs for Mavericks.

As with any new release of an OS, there may be unexpected issues that arise that were not discovered during testing. If you encounter any issues, please report them using the bug reporting form.

Update #1

The excellent folks over at Illustrator responded to the issues that you’ve reported. They’ve uncovered two reasons why you might be having trouble.

1.  Due to Astute Vector Scribe plug-insSee http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mavericks-os-x-109.html
  2. Adobe Illustrator CS 6 fails to launch because of the requirement of Java at the runtime. See  http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mac-os-108x.html

Update #2

Summarizing a couple of problems and solutions from the comments below:

• Problem with Open/Save dialog boxes – Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open or File > Save dialog (quickly – before it disappears). There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers). — Thanks, Meredith!
  • With a release of any new OS, often default directory permissions are modified. This may cause trouble with older software. It may be worthwhile to check and grant read/write permissions to product folders.
  • Photoshop + dual Monitors: Go to System Preferences, click Mission Control, and turn off “Displays have separate Spaces.” This will preserve the multi-monitor setup when you switch out of and back to an Adobe app.
  • We have seen some reports that users are unable to sign in with the Creative Cloud app for desktop. For a resolution, see http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unable-login-creative-cloud-248.html

Update #3

Illustrator update 17.0.1 is out today, 11/18/2013. To see details about this update see, Illustrator 17.0.1 Release Notes.

Bookmark and Share

, , , ,

1. #1 by Elizabeth Walker on November 1, 2013 - 1:21 am

My After Effects cc says that it is not compatible with this version of osx or something like that.

• #2 by Tavo on November 1, 2013 - 11:10 pm

After Effects CC is also failing for me. The 12.1 update via the CC desktop app fails to download (U44M1I210 error code), and the current AE CC 12.0 version installed won’t launch with Mavericks.

2. #3 by David on November 1, 2013 - 6:02 am

Hi there, I am having issues with all of my adobe software in Maverick. My save/open dialog window keeps disappearing promptly after opening… this is annoying! What do I need to do to fix it?

• #4 by Michael on November 1, 2013 - 3:10 pm

David – Facing the exact same problem as you my friend

3. #5 by Carlos Hernandez on November 1, 2013 - 9:41 pm

I am trying to download CC Cloud trial for Photoshop and Illustrator and the “download manager” crashes every time (the window that opens the download manager).
    This is a MAJOR problem for new users

4. #6 by Rick on November 1, 2013 - 9:58 pm

Since installing Mavericks, I’m unable to send print files out of CS4 to the Epson 7900…talked to Epson and they say its a Photoshop problem…downloaded new Java but no fix…any suggestions?

• #7 by Mark Stetson on November 11, 2013 - 9:42 pm

I have a similar problem.
      Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks, all current updates as of 11/11/2013;
      Photoshop CS5 Ext v12.1 x64;
      Epson Stylus Photo R340, no new drivers available through App Store;
      When I try to print a file, even a file I successfully printed before, I get a message in the printer job status window that reads: Stopped – ‘Filter’ failed.
      Any progress on your problem?

• #8 by Mark Stetson on November 12, 2013 - 10:36 pm

Update to yesterday’s note:
      - I tried converting my .psd file to a .jpg to avoid any filter conflicts (even though I am not using any filters in the file). That did not work.
      - I deleted and re-installed my Epson printer in the System Preferences Printers & Scanners page. That worked! Now everything is working normally.

5. #9 by EW on November 2, 2013 - 12:48 am

Anyone else having an issue with Mac crashing every time you start working on InDesign? Any fixes?

• #10 by bram on November 3, 2013 - 10:33 pm

InDesign CS6 doesn’t start anymore after updating tot Maverick

6. #11 by Dusty on November 2, 2013 - 8:57 am

Illustrator and Indesign are taking 5 minutes to open and run extremely slow

7. #12 by Dom on November 2, 2013 - 3:20 pm

The major issue in all of this is that Java have released version 7 which many people will have automatically upgraded to prior to Mavericks.

Once you upgrade to Mavericks and you are running Java 7 you are likely to get problems with Adobe products. I couldn’t even open some of my CS6.

The solution was to go to java.com and uninstall Java 7 and reinstall Java 6. Everything is working (albeit adobe seems buggy with mavericks).

Instructions for the downgrade to Java 6 is on the java.com website. Hope that helps.

8. #13 by Red on November 2, 2013 - 6:36 pm

Been having the same issues. Get to splash screen on Premiere CS6 and nothing. Saw something where someone recommended installing latest Java for OSX from the Apple website. Works for me :)

9. #14 by Mike on November 2, 2013 - 10:34 pm

Photoshop CC loads with no problems, but Bridge CC consistently won’t open. The program name appears at the top, and the logo bounces on the applications bar, then both disappear.

Fail.

10. #15 by Diego Saldarriaga on November 3, 2013 - 1:58 pm

My Dreamweaver CC crashes at launch in Mavericks, anyone with the same problem and a possible solution? Thanks

11. #16 by maria k on November 3, 2013 - 10:35 pm

Photoshop CS6, not working as before. Slow, “dialog frames” turn white = not able to read, change brushes and pretty much anything.

12. #17 by Stu Thomson on November 4, 2013 - 4:26 am

Premiere CC not working at all on my mac with OS X 10.9 w Mavericks. After restart it will open the program and then crash when using any quicktime file. After a force quit the program crashes on launch every time, getting stuck on ‘loading ExporterQuicktimeHost.Bundle’

• #18 by Norman Hollyn on December 28, 2013 - 2:24 am

I am having exactly the same issue. Photoshop also will load but I don’t have access to menu commands after that.

13. #19 by KElsey on November 4, 2013 - 10:51 am

Photo shop will not open…says its not compatible. Suggestions?

14. #20 by eobet on November 5, 2013 - 12:37 am

That Illustrator CS6 requires Java in Mavericks, but Photoshop CS6 starts perfectly fine without Java is evidence of really shoddy and inconsistent coding between your applications…

15. #21 by Michael B on November 5, 2013 - 4:57 am

So, Adobe says CS6 is compatible but you must have the latest build – which is 13.0.5 for Photoshop & 8.0.2.413 (I think) for InDesign.

I’m curious – could those of you who are reporting problems check to see what version you are running? Is it possible you’ve got an older version?

• #22 by Joseph Maguire on November 12, 2013 - 10:03 pm

Photoshop 14.1.2 3.5 GHZ Intel Core i7 imac 32 Gigs Ram, 10.9…

16. #23 by Jeno on November 5, 2013 - 7:06 am

After upgrading to Maverick my Creative Cloud ceased to connect to the adobe server.

17. #25 by Marianne K. on November 5, 2013 - 1:12 pm

I can’t access anything in my CS5 package after updating my OS to the latest version.
    How long would you say it would take to come up with a workaround?

18. #26 by Josh Haijer on November 5, 2013 - 5:48 pm

Lots of problems with CC – placing pictures in InDesign or saving in Photoshop, awful!!!! It’s been a long time since I had these kind of problems. Absolutely unstable combination at the moment.

• #27 by Joseph Maguire on November 12, 2013 - 10:01 pm

I am having a very bothersome error show up. When Opening or placing images. I get errors such as ” a pop up box says, error and so on causing it to be almost completely unstable. Mavericks you f’d up big time…

19. #28 by Flora on November 5, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Still can’t get my photoshop CC to work properly. All is updated but it fights with Mavericks

20. #29 by Eduardo on November 6, 2013 - 12:52 am

Hello everybody!

My Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign CS6 doesn’t open after I updated to iOS Mavericks. Can somebody help me?

• #30 by Renee on December 1, 2013 - 11:56 am

I am having the same problem. Did you ever figure this out?

• #31 by JP on January 6, 2014 - 6:12 am

I have one possible fix.
      My issue was, I just upgraded to Maverick and then tried opening CS6 PS, Ai, Id & Dw. But none of them opened and instead I got the following pop up window.
      “Configuration Error. Uninstall and reinstall..blah blah blah. Error: 16….”
      Looking in to different posts about updating java etc made no difference.
      I figured it was a permissions issue for startup scripts, so I did the following:
      Select the Application Support folder in your main Library/ folder. Right click, select get Info (or Apple I) and change/add permissions for Admin to be ‘read & write.’ Then in the drop down gear icon, select ‘apply to enclosed items’. Try reopening adobe stuff again and it should work. If not, try also modifying your permissions to the ‘Applications’ folder to be the same. You may need to use your user login name instead of Admin, or use both.

Hate how each Mac upgrade I have ever done in a over a decade there seems to be some issue with Adobe or something else. Infuriating, but I’m glad my boss still pays me for down time.

(will not be published)