Creative Cloud, Creative Suite 6, and Mavericks (10.9)

totem-creative-cloud-80x80Apple announced the general availability of Mac OS X Mavericks today. The natural question to ask is, should I upgrade or not? Will my existing software work? Will my Creative Cloud apps continue to work?

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Cloud applications and Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mavericks. (v10.9). All Adobe CC and CS6 products are compatible, but a few products require updates to the latest builds to work properly. Adobe Photoshop® CS5, CS4 and CS3 were also tested with Mac OS X Mavericks and there are currently no major issues known..

Read the complete OS Compatibility and FAQs for Mavericks.

As with any new release of an OS, there may be unexpected issues that arise that were not discovered during testing. If you encounter any issues, please report them using the bug reporting form.

Update #1

The excellent folks over at Illustrator responded to the issues that you’ve reported. They’ve uncovered two reasons why you might be having trouble.

1.  Due to Astute Vector Scribe plug-insSee http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mavericks-os-x-109.html
  2. Adobe Illustrator CS 6 fails to launch because of the requirement of Java at the runtime. See  http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-crashes-mac-os-108x.html

Update #2

Summarizing a couple of problems and solutions from the comments below:

• Problem with Open/Save dialog boxes — Try switching to List or Icon view in the File > Open or File > Save dialog (quickly – before it disappears). There seems to be an issue with the Cover Flow view (the one that looks like iTunes album covers). — Thanks, Meredith!
  • With a release of any new OS, often default directory permissions are modified. This may cause trouble with older software. It may be worthwhile to check and grant read/write permissions to product folders.
  • Photoshop + dual Monitors: Go to System Preferences, click Mission Control, and turn off “Displays have separate Spaces.” This will preserve the multi-monitor setup when you switch out of and back to an Adobe app.
  • We have seen some reports that users are unable to sign in with the Creative Cloud app for desktop. For a resolution, see http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unable-login-creative-cloud-248.html

Update #3

Illustrator update 17.0.1 is out today, 11/18/2013. To see details about this update see, Illustrator 17.0.1 Release Notes.

Bookmark and Share

, , , ,

1. #1 by Anne Schmitt on November 6, 2013 - 1:37 am

Flora :
    Still can’t get my photoshop CC to work properly. All is updated but it fights with Mavericks

Can’t get anything to run well enough to make my ad deadlines… but I am still paying lots of money for it… what is the fix?? I need one NOW!!

• #2 by Geo B on November 27, 2013 - 11:22 pm

Ever since Mavricks, my Adobe software performance has been absolutely awful, which is funny since Adobe said it worked flawlessly with Mavericks. Premiere Pro is now laggy and audio falls out of sync during play back. Then about 3 times a day it just crashes. The issue is so bad that the only way to really quick check edit is to export it and view it in quick time…oh and exports are even insanely slow now too… and After effects won’t run at all unless all software on my computer is turned off. This is very problematic when you are bouncing stuff between After effects and Premiere. This has been a nightmare. Last night something that should have taken 15 minutes to do took me 4 hours. I would call tech support but last time I was disconnected 3 times and it took two days to get it mostly working. At this point ,as sad as it sounds, it’s actually quicker for me to just suck it up and work around all the BS until a patch comes that actually works. YOU GUYS ARE #$@%ING KILLING ME!!! These are professional products and professionals are counting on it to earn a living. COME ON ADOBE GET IT TOGETHER NOW!

2. #3 by ken meyer jr on November 6, 2013 - 7:42 am

I just downloaded the cloud versions of adobe, tried to save an existing file in photoshop and it keeps saying ‘write access not granted,’ any help?

3. #4 by Shae on November 6, 2013 - 8:49 am

photoshop CC was working fine for me the day before now today it’s like everything is invisible or broken. The paint either disappears or doesn’t show until I double click. The program won’t open files of any type until I right click on the picture and go to open with then photoshop. I shouldn’t have to do that every time. This is really bugging me I even updated it!

4. #5 by Angela on November 7, 2013 - 6:21 am

Thank you! This fixed the Mavericks/Java issue with CS5 for me.

• #6 by Steven on November 8, 2013 - 12:56 am

Since I loaded Maverick I canno texport in Lightroom or opening images in PS – I was on LR4 and PS5 before and all was well. Now on CC and still cannot work. I have tried the java update and Adobe do not seem to acknowledge issue!!

5. #7 by Teri on November 8, 2013 - 1:15 am

I just upgraded to Acrobat Xl Pro. I have run the installer 3 times, and the software is nowhere to be found on my computer.

I’m running Mavericks and have had no problem with any of my CS5 apps.

Any suggestions on intalling Acrobat Xl?

• #8 by Mary on November 11, 2013 - 10:02 pm

PDF’s saved in Dropbox stopped opening with Acrobat XI and ALL other Adobe CC software. Error message: Application NOT found. This only started after installing Mavericks. All software up to date.

Please advise if anyone else has experienced this issue and been able to resolve this. These files are not damaged or corrupt.

• #9 by Vikrant on November 12, 2013 - 11:55 am

And any files not in your Dropbox folder open fine? I suspect, it might be a case of partial download, and sync is not complete yet.

6. #10 by Hans on November 8, 2013 - 10:58 pm

If you use a 2 screen configuration workplace (like me the imac 27 for designing and a second screen for the tools) it is pretty annoying that you cannot go in and out of the applications of the Adobe CC package without having the trouble of seeing that the tools, palettes move right back onto the primary screen. So I need to move the palettes back onto the second screen before I can get back to work.

• #11 by G Shaffer on November 15, 2013 - 10:52 pm

I am also having this issue with CC and CS6 InDesign. My Photoshop CS6 palettes stay put if I switch from Finder back to Photoshop, but this InDesgin bug is frustrating. Any solutions?

• #12 by Beatrice on November 17, 2013 - 12:57 pm

finally I read about that problem which is so annoying! it makes usage of two screens in Photoshop cc useless!
      (it works in Illustrator CC, though)

I cannot follow palettes issues’ recommendations from other forums as e.g. updating to latest Java (7) as this will make Dreamweaver CC not work at all (I had to reinstall Java 6)

I do also use NVIDIA quadro 4000 for mac, but at mac launch I get a dialog that the current driver is not compatible with mavericks, and that the mac os x default graphics card driver will be used instead

So I don’t know what or what combination the real cause is.

But as two screens with palettes on one, document window on other, work in Illustrator CC, it’s rather an Adobe PS CC issue, right?

• #13 by Vikrant on November 18, 2013 - 4:22 pm

I found this on a PS forum: “Go to System Preferences, click Mission Control, and turn off “Displays have separate Spaces.” This will preserve the multi-monitor setup when you switch out of and back to an Adobe app.” I hope this will help you run Photoshop in a dual-monitor setup.

• #14 by Beatrice on November 20, 2013 - 11:45 am

Thanks Vikrant,
      going to Mission Control and do as recommended helped to be able to work in PS with two screens properly again.
      It also brought back the small popout menues at the various tools in the toolsbar :-)
      Still this problem needs to be sorted out by PS immediately (in PS prefs, e.g. an optione/checkbox: ‘use multiple spaces’) as the deactivated multiple space option now affects all programs …

7. #15 by Steve Niedorf on November 9, 2013 - 7:16 am

The Mavericks install disabled all the keyboard commands in Photoshop CS6. It also slowed down and made Lightroom 5 erratic. It also slowed down the laptop. It took me many hours but I removed Mavericks and reinstalled 10.8.5 Everything is working well again. I will wait until 10.9.9 to try it again.

8. #16 by Peter on November 11, 2013 - 11:03 pm

Just installed Illustrator CS5 (with Maverick), so far so good. Hope it stays that way. Good luck to anyone else who might have some problems.

9. #17 by jose lagos on November 12, 2013 - 11:03 pm

Hello I have a problem with the master collection, it install everything correctly except Illustrator indisigne and dreamweaver it fails to install all the time I try with another installer and see if that help, no luck, whats happening?

10. #18 by Peter on November 15, 2013 - 9:11 pm

InDesign CC hangs frequently for me. The most recent cause of it was dragging an image from Safari into a document window. Force-quitting InDesign and relaunching it does not help (it does a Protective Shutdown every time I try to start it). The only way to get is to start again is to log out of the OS and log on again.

But the biggest issue for me right now is the lack of support from EIZO. While only indirectly related to Adobe software, I suppose a lot of people here who are thinking about making the jump are dependent on ColorNavigator for screen calibration, so be warned, it is currently absolutely unusable.

11. #19 by Tenny Williams on November 21, 2013 - 12:33 am

Just received new iMac w/ Mavericks installed. No CC Apps will open (Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects). Premiere ProIcon bounces like it will load but then stops. Photoshop opens but is unresponsive.

12. #20 by Lynn on November 22, 2013 - 2:41 am

Just bought mac with maverick. my HP printer works in everything but the adobe suite. Every Adobe program crashes everytime i send something to print. Any help out there?

13. #21 by Roy B on November 25, 2013 - 5:50 am

I am waiting for the December Mac updates (Mac Pro) and want to run CS6 Master Suite. I need the access to the programs. Will I be safe to get the CS6 Suite or am I going to have problems with the application? I have no prior running version to fall back on at this time. I need to be up and running the first of the year.

• #22 by Roy B on January 2, 2014 - 12:48 am

Since the December Mac Pro release I may be priced out of the new Mac Pro for my needs. I may go back to the iMac and get alternative software for my photo editing needs. At this time I do not think it is wise to buy the Adobe software at a great expense only to have it not work and get a lot of frustration. There are enough alternative programs to get me running until the CS6 or CC solutions are resolved.

14. #23 by Sara on November 28, 2013 - 3:39 am

Same as #18 – Tenny – Just got a new mac. I can’t get even get past the creative cloud window after installing it. I just successfully installed CC and a handful of apps on a different mac last week. But not this one. This is an OS X 10.9.

15. #24 by Renee on December 2, 2013 - 10:45 am

I just got a new laptop with Maverick. I have the CS4 Suite and CS5.5 InDesign. None of the programs respond to opening even when I reinstalled. I sat for almost 2 hours trying to get a ‘live chat’ with Adobe to no avail. Can anyone help?

• #25 by bailly on December 10, 2013 - 1:42 am

i just posted the exact same question, hope someone can help us.

• #26 by Vikrant on December 10, 2013 - 12:48 pm

Hmm, I don’t have access to CS4, but could you try and install Java from the Oracle website. I vaguely remember that some software might need Java.

16. #27 by Janis on December 6, 2013 - 1:18 am

When using Adobe Audition CS6 for Mac and even CS5.5 after installing OS X Mavericks, my audio playback is out of sync.

Please advise. Is there a fix or update for this.

17. #28 by Gordon on December 8, 2013 - 12:23 pm

When attempting to launch CS8 Premiere Pro in OS X Mavericks, the application won’t launch and I have to continue to crash it. I’ve tried restarting the computer, searching for software updates, even disk first aid and disk warrior, all with any resolve. Please advise how I can finally use the appellation.

Thx.

18. #29 by John on December 26, 2013 - 9:30 am

Can’t get creative cloud installer to install in Maverick OSX. Any advice?

19. #30 by Keith Watterson on February 6, 2014 - 12:00 am

Photoshop CC could not save “1403030.jpg” because write access was not granted. Help!

20. #31 by TIm on February 13, 2014 - 5:44 am

I have a Java file that installed on my mac from a CSS extension manager prompt. After it installs you can’t get the java bin file to QUIT! it stays open all the time. ANyone can help me figure out how to delete it without reinstalling the OS.

Already did that before…