Adobe InDesign is the industry-standard publishing application for print publications, interactive PDF documents, digital magazines, and EPUBs. A new version of InDesign CC (2014) is available now. It comes with several enhancements and critical bug fixes.
To install InDesign CC 2014
- Go to www.adobe.com, and Sign in with your Adobe ID – click Sign In in the top global navigation bar.
- In the left navigation panel, click Desktop under Apps.
- In the Desktop Apps page, navigate to InDesign and then click Download. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download and installation.
What’s new and changed in InDesign CC 2014
InDesign now supports automatic as well as manual migration of local settings from previous release to current release.
Enhanced support for Fixed Layout and Reflowable EPUB Export:
- Fixed Layout: InDesign now supports this format that is interesting and interactive. This format is used widely for children’s eBooks and for complex non-fiction like cookbooks and textbooks.
- Customizable object width and height in CSS: You can now customize the height and width of an object in a CSS file in the Object Export Options dialog box.
- Improved CSS support for table and cell styles: Table and cell styles now get mapped appropriately to the CSS.
- Enhanced metadata controls: You can update the file info or metadata of your InDesign file and the same EPUB data gets populated in both Reflowable/Fixed Layout tabs.
- New EPUB type markup: Additional accessibility support in EPUB through epub:type attribute.
To see the list of all EPUB enhancements in InDesign CC 2014, refer to InDesign_EPUB_Changes_CC_9.2_to_10.0 pdf.
Drag and drop table columns and rows
You can now simply drag-and-drop table rows and columns from one position to another within the same table.
You can now create and manage color groups in InDesign. Simply create Color Groups from the Swatches panel through the new Color Group icon or from the flyout and context menu.
The Find/Change dialog in InDesign now has two search direction buttons – Forward and Backward. As search forward is enabled by default, you can switch to Backward to reverse the flow of the search. .
You can now apply text wrap to an anchored or floating object that is part of a footnote. This enhancement works on both rectangular and non-rectangular text frames.
Effects such as drop shadows properly scale as you change the scale of an object or text. With the new Scalable Effects feature, an option to scale the transparency effects while scaling an object has been added in the Control panel and Transform panel flyout menus.
InDesign now makes it possible to share your creation on Behance by click of a button. The sharing happens in form of spreads exported as images.
Enhanced package with IDML and PDF
You can now include a PDF and IDML file in any package created from InDesign for individual documents.
QR Code support within data merge
You can now place a data source containing a QR code in a merged document. The QR code workflow is integrated with the merged document.
HiDPI support for Windows
InDesign now supports HiDPI for Microsoft Windows across a wide variety of DPI display settings.
What’s new dialog
Now an in application what’s new dialog greets you with content that provides information about the new features in this release. You can click a link to learn more about the feature.
More on What’s new in InDesign CC 2014.