Posts Tagged InDesign
Adobe Creative Cloud gives you access to several several tools. It includes all the creative tools, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and many other tools and services that you’ll need to make a mark in the competitive and meritocratic industry creative design is shaping up to be.
Whether you’re already a seasoned pro or a beginner, you may need some resources to get you started on the journey to create the most compelling designs and artifacts. Now, we’ve tried to make it a little easier for you to get started.
How to get started with Creative Cloud
Want to start using your Adobe Creative Cloud apps, but don’t know where to begin? That’s where we come in. We’ve provided a few basic, entry level tutorials that help you use the apps in a real-world fashion, to a create real world deliverable.
See the following tutorials to quickly get started with the apps and get creating.
Adobe has made several enhancements to EPUB export workflows in InDesign CC. You have now greater control over TOC, Index, CSS export, and CSS editing. All these changes make it easier for you to produce high-quality EPUB files from InDesign.
Support for table of contents (TOC) stories
TOC Story has been redone so that any existing, possibly edited TOC story is now exported like any other story. If portions of these TOC stories are copied and pasted elsewhere, the hyperlinks back to the PDF page and the source paragraphs (in case of an EPUB Export) remain live.
Support for Index stories
Index stories are now supported in the exported EPUB file. Live hyperlinks to indexed terms are displayed in the exported file. The terms retain their references to content at paragraph level.
Export without CSS
While exporting an InDesign document or book to EPUB/HTML, if you decide not to generate the CSS, only the classes associated with the styles are marked in the HTML tags; no overriding classes are created. The exported file is now much cleaner and ready for an external CSS.
EMIT CSS control
The emit CSS control has been added under the Export Tagging of the Paragraph, Character, and Object Style edit dialogs. If you want to include this style in the CSS, select the Emit CSS check box. If you don’t select the check box, no CSS class will be generated for this style. If you have two or more styles having the same class assigned, InDesign displays an error or warning message while exporting.
Object style to export tag mapping
Object Style Options now has the Export Tagging feature. In terms of mapping styles to classes and tags, the object styles now work more like paragraph and character styles.
Object export options for object styles
Object Style Options now includes the Export Options for Alt Text, Tagged PDF, and EPUB & HTML. You can specify rasterization settings and custom layout options. Objects with the applied style are handled based on the export options.
Access to iBooks reader device fonts
iBooks Reader supports a wide number of device fonts (http://iosfonts.com/), and these fonts are not enabled by default when referenced via @font-face unless the special XML option file META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml is added to the package.
Now the option file is added to both the EPUB2.0 and EPUB3.0 packages.
Font embedding on iBooks reader now supported
EPUBCheck has been changed to accept the embedded font format as being acceptable for iBooks Reader.
Clean markup for Ordered and Numbered Lists
The generated markup for “Map to Unordered List” and “Map to Ordered List” options under the EBook Export > General > Text Options are now free from any extra classes. InDesign no longer inserts any characters or creates any spans, and lets the browser or device be responsible for composing the lists.
Improved heuristic for determining bullet and numbering structure
The heuristic for determining bullet and numbering structure has been improved significantly to detect the semantic structure of the bullets and numbers, and properly expressing it in the HTML.
- InDesign treats two paragraphs which share ALL the same bullet related attributes, including left indent, as being part of the same list.
- A paragraph which is not a bullet but follows a bullet paragraph and has the same left indent, is now considered a “nested” paragraph and becomes part of the list.
- As designers can set the attribute for the “List” that it is part of, this setting has the highest priority relative to left indent or different number related attributes.
- Although InDesign supports setting the value attribute on the tag, it is not possible to express a numbered list, which crosses Table and Story boundaries, in HTML.
For correct numbering, export to EPUB 3.0.
In addition to the changes listed above, Adobe has made a number of fixes and enhancements that make EPUB export much better. For a list of all EPUB changes from CS6 to CC, see InDesign_EPUB_Changes_from-CS6-to-CC.pdf.
Additional resources on EPUB enhancements in InDesign CC:
- EPUB enhancements (video)
- EPUB gets convert-to-text improvements (video)
- Map object styles to export tags (video)
Not a Creative Cloud Member yet?
Sign up for a free account and try any of the new CC desktop apps for 30 days, as well as a selection of services.
- Prabhat Singh, Senior content & community lead
Adobe InDesign is the industry-standard publishing application for print publications, interactive PDF documents, digital magazines, and EPUBs. A brand new version of InDesign CC is available now. It’s faster, sharper, and part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
To install InDesign CC
- Go to http://creative.adobe.com and sign in with your Adobe ID.
- Click Download Center in the top navigation bar.
- Click Download icon next to the InDesign icon.
- On the InDesign product page, click Download. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
What’s new and changed in InDesign CC
InDesign CC comes with several enhancements and new features:
- Modern UI: InDesign is now available with a dark theme by default. This theme enables a more pleasant visual experience, especially while working with rich colors and designs.
- Faster performance: InDesign, InCopy, and InDesign Server are all now 64-bit applications. This speeds up processes, and makes it easier to work with several large files at a time.
- HiDPI and Retina display: InDesign now includes native support for high-resolution displays. This feature is currently available for the Mac OS (for example, the MacBook Pro with Retina display).
- Quick access to fonts: Search fonts by any part of the name, see fonts with families in a sub-menu, apply font selection by arrow keys to the selected text, and manage your favorite fonts.
- EPUB enhancements: EPUB Export workflows have been simplified: several improvements in the existing features, additional control while authoring, and a few brand-new features. Now you have greater control over the table of contents and CSS export, and CSS editing is simpler.
- QR Code generator: You can now generate and edit high quality independent QR code graphics from within InDesign. These are vector codes, and you can resize them without compromising quality and copy them into applications like Illustrator.
- Adobe Exchange panel: The new Adobe Exchange panel is now an in-app experience for you to explore and discover content, plug-ins, and scripts that you can purchase or download for free.
For more information on what’s new in InDesign CC, see What’s new in InDesign CC.
Learn InDesign CC (Adobe TV videos)
There are several Font menu enhancements that are coming your way in InDesign CC. Terry White shows you exactly what to expect, when you get InDesign CC.
Last weekend, we were doing some streamlining down at the Adobe Forums. Nothing much, basic house cleaning, and other mundane stuff. Overall you should get a better experience, when you visit the forums. However, a few forums were renamed or moved around, and as a result, if you had bookmarked any one of those, you’ll receive an error that Item does not exist. The forums are still live and well, you’ll just need to update your bookmarks.
- Go to http://forums.adobe.com/
- Navigate to your forum.
- Update your bookmarks.
Again, sorry for any inconvenience caused. Please help spread the word around so that everyone knows. See you back the forums!