Adobe ~ The beauty of Design with Technology (TC)
Here’s a presentation material (Traditional Chinese) for Adobe technologies in e-Publishing at Sept 17, 2008.
* Change and unchange in publishing (by PDF and Flash)
Evolution of e-Book:
– Static text e-book.
– Simple multimedia e-book (video and audio).
– FLYP Media is an good example using the publishing thinking to generate a new electronic style. (e.g. Book card, poster, template style)
– Grimm Press and Guru Bear use video streaming in their Illustration. From physical book publishing to illustration streaming. Never think before! This really a new business model.
* The meeting of Reality and Virtual (by Create Suite)
– How to attract new group of customers? Style.com may be an answer.
– Style.com is a product when Vogue tries to discover the new relationship among designers, bloggers, and their services (ads, magazine).
– Their traditional web site is focus on information sharing, not much on social networking.
– Now it provides you fashion with cover story, best-to-buy, interactive voting.
– It also provides you different group of information, from video, blog to designer news, all stands the base of social networking.
– At last, it tries to earn your attention at their ads and magazine subscription.
– Physical boutique (Anthropologie) to Virtual boutique (Anthropologie.com).
– All virtual boutiques can give you the latest information in more intelligent way compared to traditional catalog.
– That’s why they use Flash and Adobe AIR to categorize their products interactively.
3. Consumer Electronics
* The generation of Content-to-go (by Flash Lite)
– Flash Player is ubiquitous because there are 800 M connected PC installed and 800 M devices (400 models) shipped.
– For the FY2007 financial report, you can see the revenue of Flash license was 50 M or above. And this business was 40% growth from year-to-year.
– However, Adobe decided to free its license fee, remove the use restriction, announce the technology specification of API and data push.
– It’s a game of give and take. When it’s free, Flash and AIR will become truly ubiquitous.
4. Streaming integration
* We can build up the new world (by Flash Media Server)
– Flash video is a dominant format in the networking by high network consumption, popular user interfaces, and nearly installed in every connected PC.
– Many players have used Adobe technologies to build up their business. We can see they are not the video producer or media related corporation. However, these cross-media break through the new market model.
Cross media to Web Video:
+ Video blog: YouTube in US (from network). I’m Vlog in Taiwan (from TV).
+ Network TV: On.cc in HK (from press). Olympics TV in CCTV (from TV).
+ Others: MySpace, hulu, MTV, NBC, Fox, CNN. NYT
– Online interaction provides a personal platform to communicate with others immediately and face-to-face. e.g. Lunchtimers (games), Ustream.TV (live broadcasting), Moqulus (personal TV), MTV (online editing), Tokbox (video meeting), Viddler (video commenting).
– In technical, I cannot see any difference between video streaming and data streaming. In business, you can see a new business can be lighted up when you change your positioning slightly.
5. Using Adobe in all directions
– Now Adobe Reader 9 can play Flash 9 natively. It’s a new opportunity if you want to publish a rich multimedia e-book supporting online / offline and security.
– FLYP media: Photo and Illustration design (PhotoShop and Illustrator) => Publishing (InDesign) => Export (Flash / PDF)
– Antropologie.com: Graphics and Interaction design (PhotoShop and Flash) => Web version (Dreamweaver), AIR version (ActionScript), and maybe Mobile version in future (Device Central – a mobile emulator of flash content)
– Grimm press / Guru Bear: Image (PhotoShop) => Animation (Flash) => Video Streaming (Flash Media Server) => Play (Flash Player)
– Content is King
– Less is More
– Interactive Relationship
– User Experience. Not UI only