by AWK

Comments (10)

Created

August 15, 2007

This post is subject to Adobe's Terms of Use.

I wanted to post a quick demonstration (using Adobe Captivate) to show how JAWS interacts with a Flex 2 TabNavigator component. This was a one-off demo – the kind I wish I could do without saying “uh” so often!
TabNavigator Example
TabNavigator example MXML source
Flex Scripts for JAWS (JAWS 8.0 coming soon)

COMMENTS

• By Steve Webster - 6:21 AM on August 16, 2007

Hey Andrew. The captivate demo doesn’t work properly. Firstly there’s a JavaScript error because the standard.js file is missing, and secondly the video goes blank after about 1 second.

• By Adrian Higginbotham - 6:21 AM on August 16, 2007

Andrew – looks promising, obviously effert gone in here as suggested by the jfw scripts however it seems odd that in order to access cutting edge multimedia technology screenreader users must be utilising old software. neither jfw 7 nor msie 6 are current. keeping multiple versions of screenreaders installed isn’t that difficult but Browser is a little trickier. will the scripts be updated for msie7 and/or other browsers.

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 8:47 AM on August 16, 2007

Steve,
    Yikes. It works locally, but only the sound is coming through when posted. I’ll fix this morning.

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 8:49 AM on August 16, 2007

Adrian,
    I happen to have IE6 installed, but JAWS and Flex work fine together in IE7 also. JAWS 8 is out, and we are doing final testing for JAWS scripts for that release.
    AWK

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 6:07 PM on August 16, 2007

FYI – the Adobe Captivate file issue from earlier is fixed.

• By Kerri Hicks - 8:29 PM on August 16, 2007

Hi Andrew. Quick question — does this require tabs to be visually horizontal? With vertical tabs, would the user still use left and right arrow keys, even though the screen elements would be vertical? Or is there some way for the user to know that these tabs are vertical, v. others that might not be? Thanks.

• By Andrew Kirkpatrick - 11:08 AM on August 17, 2007

Kerri,
    The TabNavigator is only horizontal, but you can have a TabBar that is vertical. Right now there is nothing to indicate whether the TabBar but I believe that as with the TabNavigator the right arrow and down arrow both work to move from the first to last tab, and the left and up arrows are similarly linked for moving left or up though a set of tabs.

• By Arco Acessibilidade - 10:56 AM on November 13, 2007

I think that webstandards and coerent anchors are enough to make a site acessible. People with major disabilities have to disable css styles.

• By mitch gart - 7:47 PM on March 17, 2008

I would like to borrow the example at http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility/assets/tabnavigator.htm
    and use it in a presentation. The site of the presentation will not have web access. Would it be possible for you to send me the files? I’ve tried copying them off the web site and so far haven’t gotten the movie to run locally. Thanks.

• By Mahesh - 2:34 PM on September 29, 2010

Hi

I want to know whether JAWS can read the dynamic updates on the current page… here i am using Flex 3.0 to design pages and i am updating the same container dynamically by removing old components and adding new components..

Jaws is working fine and reading all the data when page is open…. When i made any dynamic changes i.e by removing earlier data and adding new components its not reading the updated components.

if i press the UP-Arrow key then only it reading the updated components in reverse order.

is this is a bug in JAWS ? how can i over come this problem…

please free to mail me if any one knows the solution.
    Thanks in Advance