by AWK

Comments (53)

Created

September 21, 2012

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

Content in this blog post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Example code provided is licensed under Adobe’s Creative Commons Plus License.

Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 is released and available for immediate download. This version includes major improvements for accessibility over Digital Editions 1.7, and is designed to provide greater access to both protected and unprotected electronic books in the EPUB format for Windows and Mac users.

Digital Editions 2.0 utilizes accessibility features on Windows and Mac OS to provide access for users who are blind or who have visual difficulties, including support for high contrast modes and support for resizing of book text. Digital Editions also offers keyboard support which is dramatically enhanced over version 1.7.

Screen reader users can use one of several tools to read books with Digital Editions. On Mac OSX VoiceOver support is provided, although one limitation at present is that book content can only be read one page at a time rather than as a continuous stream. On Windows, users can choose between JAWS, NVDA, and Window-Eyes. GW-Micro provides Window-Eyes support via an app – to get the app for Window-Eyes users should go to the Window-Eyes control panel, press ALT-A to get to the App Menu, and select AppGet. When the list of available apps is displayed, Digital Editions can be found in the “Program Enhancements” group.

Adobe Digital Editions supports books protected by Adobe’s DRM (Digital Rights Management) solution. This allows users to access books available from libraries which use the Overdrive service, as well as those books purchased from vendors such as Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Waterstones, and other booksellers.

Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 is free and available for download at http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html.

COMMENTS

• By Birgit Christensen - 6:59 AM on September 22, 2012

Really looking forward to try that, as I am working at the National Institute for Blind and Partially Sighted in Denmark. Is it the Beta version that now is official or …?

• By AWK - 8:45 AM on September 22, 2012

It’s official, no longer a labs (beta) version.

• By Daniel van der Wal - 3:31 AM on September 23, 2012

Will the local pages be updated to provide access to the new 2.0 version? For example on the dutch localized page still the 1.72 version is provided. http://www.adobe.com/nl/products/digitaleditions/

Will there be a new help page? Lot of customers are reading on devices now adays and have low tech experience and need help on this product in a localized help version. The English version seems to miss out the ‘help’ page. http://www.adobe.com/nl/products/digitaleditions/help/ will it be back or included in a new help section?

I really like the acrobat reader help section because of the pictures an the clear help documentation. http://helpx.adobe.com/reader.html

Some pages need to be updated to the new installer of 2.0, like the pages:
    Top issues

Install Digital Editions | Windows 7, Vista, XP: http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/install-digital-editions-windows-7.html
    Install Digital Editions | Mac OS X: http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/install-digital-editions-mac-os.html

Thanks in advance! Happy e-reading.

• By AWK - 1:16 PM on September 25, 2012

Daniel,
      Thanks, I’ll find out.
      AWK

• By Vlad - 12:59 PM on September 25, 2012

Great job! The new version has a much improved UI and better font rendering. All is much more legible and easier to use.

The bookmark, highlight and notes functions are much more intuitive (although dedicated buttons for highlight and notes would have been appreciated). I didn’t even know 1.7 had highlighting until the new version came out and tested to see what features are new.

I thought you had given up on developing ADE. I’m very happy 2.0 is out.

Good job!

• By Chris Astall - 10:30 AM on October 2, 2012

some disappointment, was hoping you would automatically add the downloaded eBooks to the Library when adding content from other sites other than ACS that their eBook isn’t in their Library when they come back, because they didn’t perform the Add To Library step.

• By AWK - 6:04 PM on October 3, 2012

Chris, I asked the team and we aren’t exactly sure what you are experiencing. The installer for ADE 2.0 migrates all books from ADE 1.7. If they didn’t, the File->Add to Library dialog allows you to select multiple books so at least this should be a one-time process. Does this help? Or is it this step that you are saying you wish was done automatically?

• By Chris Astall - 11:18 AM on October 4, 2012

Thanks for response..what i am experiencing is that if I download an eBook and choose to Open but then I close without adding to my Library the book is “lost”. but in Kindle app for windows once I open it it automatically gets added to the Library.
        Thanks again for responding

• By AWK - 4:37 PM on October 4, 2012

I’ll check with the team, but that sounds like a good feature if it isn’t part of the app already.

• By Ashley - 9:36 PM on October 2, 2012

I recently discovered that my local library uses the Overdrive service. I downloaded ADE 2.0 so I can try it out this weekend.

Thanks for the info!!!

Ashley

• By Heather - 12:09 PM on October 5, 2012

I am a librarian who helps patrons with using our Overdrive service. Installing this upgrade is a tortuous experience; why on Earth did you decide to have people download a zip file? Many of our patrons will have no idea what to do with that, so I expect a great increase in requests for help. The old installer was very smooth and easy for non-computer-savvy patrons. I’m very disappointed in this change to the installer. It seems really lazy on your part, and not what I would expect from Adobe.

With that said, once installed, the upgrade seems to add some useful features.

• By AWK - 2:15 PM on October 11, 2012

Heather, the installers are updated now so you should be all set.

• By Peter - 7:29 PM on October 7, 2012

So, how to use the NVDA wit Adobe Digital Edition 2.0, e.g. I opened a book in the Digital Eition 2.0, I have installed NVDA, and the NVDA keeps reading all the menues in Adobe Digital Edition 2.0. The only thing I did not6 succeeded is to make the NVDA to read a text of a book. There should be some button or keyboard key etc. which would activate the reading mode for the book. I felt to find the way.
    Would you please help me. There must be a way!

• By Kiran Kaja - 2:58 PM on October 11, 2012

Hi, when you open Digital Editions, are you able to navigate to the Library list box. If you have any ebooks on your computer that have been added to Digital Editions, they will appear here. Press enter on an ebook to open it. The focus should be placed on the book content once the book is open. You can now use standard NVDA reading keys to read the book content. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

• By Sarah - 12:15 PM on October 11, 2012

We sell secure Adobe ebooks via our online bookstore and have seen a rise in technical support requests due to the installation process of the 2.0 ADE version. Please, please replace the zip file with an executable file, similar to the previous version so the installation process is smoother. Many of our customers do not know how to extract files from a zip file or even what a zip file is, and it caused a lot of frustration and even cancelled orders. Seems with a product as popular as ADE, there would be a smooth installation process in place. It’s very disappointing.

• By AWK - 2:14 PM on October 11, 2012

The installer is now available as a DMG for Mac and EXE for Windows, so hopefully this won’t cause any more problems for you.

• By Sandy - 11:45 PM on October 18, 2012

While the new edition looks and acts “nicer” it’s horrible because now I can’t sideload my Nook library books and because Editions is free I can’t get any online help. I am simply referred to the forums. My previous version worked fine, it’s the upgrade that messed things up.

• By AWK - 8:05 AM on October 19, 2012

I’ll check on the sideloading for you.

• By Mary Anne - 7:44 AM on October 26, 2012

• By Gale - 4:19 PM on November 22, 2012

I am experiencing the same problem. Please help.

• By Karen - 8:50 PM on November 29, 2012

I am also experiencing the same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

• By AWK - 11:48 AM on November 30, 2012

Charlene, see if the response to Cheryl’s comment helps you.

• By charlene - 11:28 AM on November 30, 2012

Exact same problem for me. Critical this gets resolved since I want to buy books using the new Kobo/ABA connection to support my local indie. Yes, I’ll still buy from B&N too, but we need to keep options open.

• By AWK - 11:47 AM on November 30, 2012

Charlene, see if the response to Cheryl’s comment helps.

• By Carolyn - 11:54 PM on December 19, 2012

Same as Mary Anne — I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and activated my computer. I can get books from my library, but it’s not allowing me to copy them to my Nook. I can get the file to transfer to my Nook, but when I try to open the book on my Nook, it says “Error Dialog User not activated” How do I activate my Nook?
      HELP!

• By eli - 6:02 AM on October 29, 2012

Where are the step by step instructions to install adobe digital in NOOK TABLET ?

• By Tom - 3:47 PM on November 2, 2012

Can anyone tell me what fonts are supported. I have removed many fonts to free up disk space. I’ve downloaded this version, and all the fonts in the program show up as little boxes. I can not use as I haven’t a clue whats being displayed. Help files are useless, contact info is not helping me either.

• By Mandy - 10:22 PM on November 13, 2012

I’m on a new computer now. I downloaded a library book to the computer, but cannot sideload it to my Nook. I have no use for it on the computer, I need it on the Nook! How do I do that now? Two weeks ago I downloaded from library, then sideloaded to the Nook effortlessly. Please help!

• By Shirley - 9:08 PM on November 24, 2012

I upgraded my Adobe Digital Editions to 2.0 on my iMAC10.6.8 and I have loaded e-books from library into the ADE and from there into my Nook. But when I try to open the book, I get the message “Error Dialog — User Not Activated.” This is same problem noted by Mary Anne (above). Who answers the question HOW DO I ACTIVATE MY NOOK?

• By Linda - 9:31 PM on November 25, 2012

• By Kristina - 11:00 AM on November 26, 2012

My nook updated its software and now I get the message “User not activated” any time I try to read one of my library (Overdrive) ebooks. I downloaded the “new” digital editions (2.0) and still get the same message. My nook shows as activated. How do I (as a user) get activated?

• By Carolyn - 8:50 PM on November 26, 2012

I am having the exact same problem as Mary Anne above so I will just copy her comment:

• By AWK - 9:28 PM on November 27, 2012

Carolyn, see the reply to Cheryl’s comment below. Hope this helps.

• By Cheryl - 7:34 PM on November 27, 2012

I’ve been using Digital Editions for a couple of weeks, tonight when I tried to open the library book I’ve been reading I got the message ‘Error Dialog User Not Activated.’

I hooked my Nook to my computer, tried replacing/overwriting the book on my Nook, tried deleting the book from my Nook, then reloading it … am still getting this error. I have two library books both with 7 days left on the lending period and I can’t get into either.

Color me confused … help?

• By Courtney - 7:34 PM on December 3, 2012

I’m trying to download a book using 2.0. For some reason it is opening as a zip file with 2.0 when it opened as an epub with 1.7 (same book). Why is this? How can I fix it?

• By Emma - 2:06 PM on December 5, 2012

Used Open Library loans with older version of ADE and it worked great. Was forced to update to 2.0 and now nothing but problems.

Most epub loans will not load instead I get the message “No record for this loan is found on this machine; it may have been returned” I have removed all files, reinstalled the program, checked authorization etc. This happens the FIRST time I try to download a book from the Open LIbrary or any other public library program. Tried on different computers, not a firewall problem, etc.

Very angry that Adobe tried to charge me $68 just to answer the question as to why their own system was not working.

• By Librarian - 5:07 PM on December 5, 2012

ADE 2.0 does not work with public library loans, BLIO epub or loans from Internet Archives and Open Library. The system is deeply flawed and no tech support is available. After three days of fighting the system, I uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled an earlier version.

I think that it is really irresponsible for Adobe to create an update that does not work then refuse to provide any support to combat its own flaws. I contacted tech support and the provider wanted to charge $68.00 to attempt to answer my concerns.

True this is a free program HOWEVER, it is also a program required by numerous public library loan systems for epub titles and for Adobe to place library patrons in the position of not being able to read the titles they have checked out and laying that problem at the feet of librarians is, in my opinion, completely unethical.

• By Ann - 2:28 PM on December 7, 2012

Same problem as many of the above. I purchased a new laptop & downloaded Adobe Digital Editions so I could continue to borrow ebooks from the library to read on my nook. First of all, I had a horrible time trying to download library books to ADE using Overdrive. FINALLY, got the library books loaded to ADE but when I try to drag & drop them to my Nook, I get a message saying “No persmission to copy book”. There is no option to transfer – just copy. I thought maybe the nook needed to be authorized but when I right click, it shows as already authorized. So I erased the authorization then tried to reauthorize it. When I do, I get a message saying that the computer is authorized without an Adobe ID. I tried to authorize it with an Adobe ID, but everytime I try it says that I’m using an ID that has been used to authorized another computer (my old laptop). And it won’t let me create a new ID using the same email address. When I check the support forums, it tells me I can authorize multiple devices. When I originally purchased my nook, I had NO problems using Overdrive or ADE to borrow library books. Not sure what’s going on with this new edition, but I now have several library books downloaded that I can apparently can only read on my laptop – which sort of makes my 3 e-readers useless.

• By Julie - 9:25 AM on December 8, 2012

Basic question: How do I get to the item info menu on a library book in 2.0? I want to return a library book early. In the previous version of ADE I would hover my cursor over the item in my library and the menu would appear. Now nothing happens, and I can’t find the menu anywhere else. It’s probably staring me in the face but I can’t find it. I’m on a Mac, by the way, if that makes a difference. Thank you!

• By Gail - 1:42 PM on December 9, 2012

I had the “error dialog user not activaded error”, so I followed the steps to active and now I get a “No permission to copy the book”, when I try to load to my nook. I can read on my computer but who wants to.

• By Stan - 1:49 AM on December 12, 2012

User not authorized is still happening after installing Digital Editions 2/0. Have two copies of Northnet library borrowed book. Same result as with DE 1.7 Ideas??

• By Katie - 2:34 PM on December 15, 2012

At the library where I work, we were initially unable to pre-install adobe digital editions on each of our public computers because of the need to authorize each device (there was some sort of limit on the number of devices you could authorize per computer, and we had more Nooks than whatever that limit was). Do you think with this new edition that would no longer be an issue? The other software we have installed on the computers wipe them clean when they restart, so one person’s downloads wouldn’t still show in ADE once a new user got on… It would be very helpful to have ADE on all of our computers and then if we loan one of our Nooks, or if a patron brings in there own and needs assistance, we don’t have to re-install ADE everytime. Thanks for any help you can give me!

• By jerry - 9:05 AM on December 16, 2012

first off, great product! I am using the tool to download to my Samsung tablet… I am trying to get some feedback regarding best practices of placement of ebooks once I download them. My version, (1.7.2) has import and storage directories in the ebook directory. New ebooks flow into my download directory. if i try to import from the download directory and then move to storage or import directory, ebook can no longer find the book. if i move directly to the import directory, it gets confusing.. thoughts?

• By Larissa - 1:36 PM on December 17, 2012

I too am getting “error dialog user not activated.” I have deauthorized all devices, reauthorised them, reinstalled digital editions, nothing works. Is there a solution, or are we no longer able to borrow e-books from the library?

• By Phyllis - 10:36 PM on December 17, 2012

I am also getting the “No permission to copy item here” error with ADD ver 1.7.2. Seems like something is broken in the system if the old and new versions are failing library transfers.

• By Sheryl - 8:49 AM on December 18, 2012

I activated Digital Editions anonymously on my laptop. How do I change it to Digital Editions with an ID? The Authorize Computer and Authorization Information under Help are unclickable.

I have tried unistalling and reinstalling – no luck – it still recognizes it as an anonymous registration.

• By Mike Henry - 6:53 PM on January 3, 2013

I am having a problem opening books downloaded (borrowed from Midwest Library Collabrative) to my first edition Nook, using my Mac and Adobe Digital Edition 2.0. I have authorized my computers and my nook shows the book there but it will not open the document. Any ideas?

• By John - 6:50 AM on January 4, 2013

Nook, it says “Error Dialog User not activated” How do I activate it.

• By Fred - 6:16 PM on January 4, 2013

My Adobe Additional Additions will not open after installation it says(windows could not open this program)

• By Fred - 6:16 PM on January 4, 2013

I’m using 2.0

• By crystal - 1:52 AM on January 5, 2013

Will this be available for direct download to the nook tablet?

• By Joan - 1:08 PM on January 8, 2013

I used ADE 1.7 for two years to borrow books from the library. When I downloaded 2. I was no longer able to sideload books from ADE to my Nook. I get an error message that says,”no permission to copy the book”