We’ve said it before, but the days of watching TV on a television in the living room are long gone. To meet rapidly evolving consumer expectations for the TV content they want, the TV industry is finding new ways to bring their content to whatever screen audiences want to watch. Given the deluge of connected devices from tablets and smartphones to game consoles and over-the-top (OTT) devices, easy access to content is taking TV Everywhere consumption to new heights.
Today, we released our Q1 2014 Video Benchmark Report which examines TV Everywhere and non-authenticated online video trends. The findings were staggering with online TV consumption reaching an all-time high – up 246% year-over-year (YoY). Our analysis is based on aggregated and anonymous data from 1300+ media/entertainment sites between Q1 2013 and Q1 2014. It includes 151 billion total online video starts and 1.3 billion TV Everywhere authentications across 250 pay-TV service providers covering 99% of pay-TV households in the U.S. A few other key findings:
- Game consoles and OTT devices saw the strongest market share growth increasing 539% YoY.
- iOS apps surpassed browsers for the first time as the most popular access point for online TV achieving a 43% market share (compared to a 36% market share for browsers)
- More U.S. pay-TV households (21%) accessed TV Everywhere content across devices in Q1 than ever before (compared to 16% six months ago)
- Unique TV Everywhere visitors to websites and apps per month increased by 157% YoY, while the number of TV Everywhere streams (live, VOD and linear) watched per visitor each month rose 133% YoY.
- Using a sample size of 1300+ Adobe Marketing Cloud customers, 35.6 billion online videos including user-generated content were viewed worldwide – an unprecedented amount, up 43% YoY.
TV truly is everywhere now – with more than one fifth of all pay-TV households in the U.S. watching TV online across screens. Check out our full report for the complete findings and methodology. We’ll be presenting these findings and discussing industry trends at The TV of Tomorrow Show in San Francisco, June 11-12, so hope to see you there.
Stay tuned for more news and industry insights coming soon. For the latest Adobe Primetime updates, subscribe to our blog updates, follow us on Twitter, and check out our website.