Update 10/7/2019:

Apple released macOS 10.15 Catalina today. Here are the known issues:

All other products: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

Posted 6/18/19

At their World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC),  Apple announced their decision to end support of 32-bit apps starting with the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina.

What does this mean for Creative Cloud customers?

We are presently working with Apple to officially support the current versions of Photoshop, Lightroom and Lightroom Classic on macOS 10.15 when it is released later this year.

Current versions of Photoshop (20.x), Lightroom (2.x) & Lightroom Classic (8.x) released at MAX October 2018 are 64-bit applications with 64-bit licensing and installer components which can be installed and activated on macOS 10.15 beta for your own testing purposes. NOTE: Running on beta OSes is not officially supported.

Known Issues

Notes on Photoshop: Droplets made in Photoshop 20.x or later create 64-bit droplets that can run on macOS 10.15. If you have droplets created in prior versions of Photoshop, they will no longer run in macOS 10.15. We are investigating a way to convert 32-bit droplets into 64-bit droplets.

Notes on Lightroom Classic: Lightroom Classic currently uses a component to playback video that is still 32-bit. Our plan is to update this component to 64-bit prior to the release of macOS 10.15.

The Adobe DNG Converter and DNG Profile Editor are currently 64-bit. Len Profile Creator is currently 32-bit, but we are investigating updating it to be a 64-bit utility.

The ExtendScript Toolkit, which is a 32-bit application, will no longer work on macOS 10.15. This tool is being replaced by ExtendScript Debugger 1.1.0

If you have prior Creative Cloud versions of Photoshop, Lightroom and Lightroom Classic installed, e.g. Photoshop CC 2018 (19.x), Lightroom (1.x) or Lightroom Classic (2015.x), we suggest that you stick with macOS 10.14 if you want to continue with these versions.

What does this mean for legacy/perpetual versions of Adobe software?

Older perpetual versions of our software were not designed, nor tested, to work on macOS 10.15 and are not supported in any way for use on macOS 10.15.

We do not recommend that customers using old versions of Adobe Software update to macOS 10.15.

Old products use 32-bit licensing components and installers and therefore cannot be installed and activated after upgrading to macOS 10.15. While upgrading to macOS 10.15 with these products installed may allow them to function in some capacity, you will not be able to reinstall or activate the software after the upgrade.

Customers may want to uninstall all these old versions prior to upgrading to macOS 10.15, as the uninstaller will not work after upgrading. The Adobe Cleaner Tool can be used to remove Adobe software on macOS 10.15.

Conclusion

Our team hopes that by providing this information early that it will allow you to make plans now so you can take advantage of Photoshop & Lightroom on macOS 10.15 Catalina when it’s officially released later this year. After the official release of macOS 10.15, we will provide a list of any know compatibility issues with the current versions of our software. We also strongly recommend that customers do their own testing on a non-production partition to ensure that new operating systems work with their current hardware and drivers (printing, etc).

25 Responses to Upcoming changes to Photoshop & Lightroom OS support with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

1. Shiki Suen says:

It will be helpful if you release a 64-bit-only version of Adobe Cleaner Tool.

2. Nicolad says:

I am using Lightroom on the last dev version of Catalina, and I always get the following error in a red line:
    -“EA..” is disconnected, please reconnect to terminate the synchronization (translated from French to English)
    I de-install/reinstall light tool, same problem
    What can I do to retrieve my pictures on the Mac?

3. Clinton Wan says:

Hi, I am using Adobe lightroom CC 2015 6.14. Just upgrade to Catalina and found that lightroom close automatically after the launch screen. According to your announcement, am I need to wait for the update after the official launch of the OS?

I have some unfinished work in my lightroom but i cannot retrieve it. Thanks.

4. David Gunn says:

I have Photoshop CS6 version 13.0
    Bridge CS6 version 5.0.2.4 &
    Lightroom version 5.7

Will I still be able to use these programs on Catalina?

Thanks,

David

5. Jim Puro says:

I guess purchasing just about every version of LightRoom and Elements doesn’t mean enough for a final update.
    This will certainly weigh on my next purchase.

6. Jag Gill says:

What about the Lightroom 4 and Photoshop 6 users who have not spent anything for further versions because these served their purpose very well! These still work quite well on MacOS Mojave! What have I got to lose by sticking with my current version of MacOS?

7. Andrew Kavanagh says:

Today is October 7th – the “official” release of macOS Catalina.
    Any of the 32 Bit issues fixed by now? I know I should wait, but asking first anyways.
    Thanks, Jeff!

8. Max Wyss says:

So, does it mean that I am forced to get an application, not from Adobe, not made for Mac, in order to maintain .jsx files????

9. GK says:

I have already upgraded to Catalina before uninstalled Photoshop CS5, so you know I can’t use uninstall program, and remove programs. How do I delete or uninstall CS5 and clean install CC to my Catalina?

10. David Schaefer says:

An uninstaller to help us clean up would be much appreciated…. I upgraded, but forgot to remove 5.5. and CS6 — I’d just like to zorch them all now.

11. Cindy says:

I am pretty angry that this update has come about and Adobe or Mac haven’t taken into consideration the consumer and money spent in software. Mac irresponsible for not somehow including 32 bit into Catalina and Adobe for not anticipating Macs move to strictly 64 bit. In June I purchased photoshop elements 2019 because I prefer not being tied to a monthly payment. I switched from HP computer because I felt that MacBook Pro would serve my purpose better as I am a professional photographer , MAC was easier to use. NOW I can’t update my MacBook without losing use of my photos (thousands of them) photoshop works perfectly with Mojave. Now if I update Elements again (purchased 2019 was in June) I will be paying another 139 or 149 dollars and it may not even work properly.
    I hope Adobe is reading this, I have purchased many Adobe programs. I am done with Adobe. Thanks for all the wonderful programs in the past but I can’t deal with this new glitch.
    After reading the many replies I’m sure I will see “stick with your current os” well, I really want to try Catalina it looks very interesting. I will need to find a different photo editing system than adobe.

12. s roberst says:

I too have the SAME feelings as Cindy, I have used ONLY Adobe editing tools since 2005 (Creative Suites).
    Adobe acts as though they really do not care about loyal customers, I will use CS 5.1 until I no longer can then switch to other editing applications. I do think Adobe apps are the best but, customer service is more important to me now. Thanks for the memories.

• Sorry, CS5 was released in 2019 so it is almost 10 years old. It’s impossible to predict what changes in a OS 10 years out that will break software compatibility. Back in the early 90s, and 2000s, OSes were updated once ever few years. Now, both Apple and Microsoft are updating their OSes once a year and they drop support of OSes older than 2 version back each year. One of the reasons for moving to Creative Cloud is to make sure customers can keep up with the fast changing technology landscape where Apple and Microsoft are updating OSes every 12 months and introducing new hardware and devices at a faster and faster rate. Hope that helps

• Not sure why anybody would blame Adobe for a decision that Apple is 100% responsible for in dropping all support in their newest macOS for old 32-bit apps…

Adobe had nothing to do with that critical change, and cannot update ten-year-old EOL versions to be 64-bit.

If you want to run dated software, then you’d need to preserve the platform(s) for which it was built – meaning to stay on your current OS version, as Jeffrey advises.

Worst case, then revert your Mac to a previous macOS version:

13. guy says:

I was given Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 for Christmas 2019, and have been learning to use it since. I have had numerous warnings from Apple that it will not be supported when their 64bit system was introduced. The box which the disk came in stated that if it were used on a Mac that the computer should have a Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support. I have now installed OS Catalina, tried to contact Adobe, as recommended by Apple, and have found that my Lightroom is uni-able. Your ‘Crawlspace’ is not at all encouraging or optimistic that I can use the application again. Please may I have my money back?