Classroom: After Effects video tutorial series for beginners
Adam Shaening-Pokrasso presents a seven-part video tutorial series that introduces After Effects for beginners. This series is a single multi-part hands-on tutorial with downloadable exercise files, so it’s especially good for people who learn by doing.
I’ve added this tutorial series to the resources that I recommend in my overview post for beginners: “Getting started with After Effects”.
One of the things that makes this series stand out from other tutorials is that it spends a lot of time on fundamentals of animation and motion graphics, not just on the specific features of After Effects, and not just on the creation of a specific result or look. These fundamentals can be used every day, for every project. This is real teaching.
Here’s a quick summary of the highlights of what each episode shows, with links to pages in After Effects Help that give more detail about each subject:
- Episode 1, Animation and compositing basics
- Episode 2, Animation technique and keyframe interpolation
- Episode 3, Masking and duplicating layers
- Episode 4, Parenting
- Episode 5, Precompositions and master compositions
- Episode 6, Photoshop to After Effects workflow
- Episide 7, Final touches and rendering