running After Effects CS4 in English, even if you’ve installed and activated it in another language
(See this post for After Effects CS5 information.)
You can run After Effects CS4 in either the local language associated with the installation and activation or in English. For example, if you have the German version of After Effects CS4 installed, you can switch to English. You can switch back and forth as many times as you want. This should make it easier to do many things, including following instructional materials written in English.
Mac OS X 10.5.8 and earlier (before Snow Leopard):
1. Control-click the After Effects CS4 application icon, which is in the Applications/Adobe After Effects CS4 directory.
(You can navigate to the application icon by Control-clicking the icon in the dock and choosing Show In Finder.)
2. Choose Get Info (or the equivalent, such as Informationen in German).
3. Expand the Languages (in German, Sprachen) category in the Info dialog box.
4. Deselect (uncheck) every language other than English.
5. Close the Info dialog box.
6. Double-click the application icon to start the application.
UPDATE: For instructions on how to do this on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), see the comments for this post.
1. Open a command shell (Choose Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt).
2. Run After Effects by entering the full path to the After Effects executable file followed by the argument -L en_US.
For example, on my computers running 32-bit Windows Vista and Windows XP, here is the command that I entered to run my German copy of After Effects in English:
“C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe After Effects CS4Support FilesAfterFX.exe” -L en_US
Here’s what it would be on 64-bit Windows Vista:
“C:Program Files (x86)AdobeAdobe After Effects CS4Support FilesAfterFX.exe” -L en_US
Of course, your path may be different, depending on where you installed the application, et cetera.
Note that this behavior is slightly different from earlier versions of After Effects. In After Effects CS3 and earlier, the argument for the Windows command line was different.