What’s New and Changed in After Effects CC
After Effects CC 2017 (14.0) is now available. This release is all about collaboration and streamlined workflows, helping you work faster alone or with a team. Keep everyone in sync with Team Projects, work with extruded 3D text and shapes right in the timeline, and render faster with more GPU-accelerated effects. Live Text Templates have a new workflow, enabling smoother sharing between After Effects CC and Premiere Pro CC. We’ve also added lots of new features that make everyday tasks easier, like draggable marker duration and a freeze on last frame command to automatically extend footage.
Installing After Effects will install Character Animator CC (Beta), which is also now available as a separate download through Creative Cloud. The latest Character Animator includes substantial performance improvements, shareable puppet files, refined behaviors and a great new interactive tutorial to help you get started.
For an overview of what’s new in all of the Adobe professional video and audio applications and services, see this page. For details of the updates for all Adobe professional video and audio applications and services, see this page.
If you’re a Creative Cloud subscriber, you can download the new version by checking for updates through the Creative Cloud desktop application. For information about purchasing a Creative Cloud subscription, see this page about plans and this page with current promotional offers.
Please note that the newly released versions of Adobe Creative Cloud applications will overwrite prior installations by default. This behavior can be changed in the Creative Cloud desktop app.
Note that third-party plug-ins and scripts are not automatically migrated from previous versions of After Effects. Read this older blog post about managing settings and plug-ins. As always, we recommend checking for updates to plug-ins.
What’s new in After Effects? The summary below is a guide to the changes; we’ll be going into more detail over the next few weeks.
- Team Projects (Beta): Team Projects is a new hosted collaboration service for Creative Cloud for teams and enterprise customers that allows editors and motion graphics artists to work simultaneously in shared projects within the 2017 versions of After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Prelude CC.
- Maxon CINEMA 4D composition renderer: Quickly create and render extruded 3D text and motion graphics directly in the timeline, without specialized GPU hardware. Control quality settings with a simple slider.
- Additional GPU-accelerated effects: Use the GPU for faster rendering of more effects, including Glow, Hue/Saturation, and others.
- Playback Performance Improvements: Most video footage can now play back from disk in real-time before effects are applied, without waiting for it to cache.
- Improved Live Text Templates workflow: You can now share live text template compositions between After Effects CC 2017 and Premiere Pro CC 2017 as a single, packaged file that contains all of the assets required for that composition.
- Sync fonts with TypeKit: Projects that require a font that you do not have installed can now automatically add that font to your Creative Cloud account and sync it to your computer using TypeKit.
- New Project Templates: You can now set After Effects to load a template project when you choose the New Project command. Keep your whole studio in sync by storing the template in a shared CC Files folder.
- Character Animator Scenes via Dynamic Link: Scenes from Character Animator can now be imported as a live connection into After Effects and Premiere Pro.
- Draggable Marker Duration: Interactively set the duration of composition and layer markers by Alt-clicking them.
- Date and Time Values in Output Name Templates: Rendering to a file can now automatically use the date and time as part of the file name or file path.
- Freeze On Last Frame: This new command automates enabling time remapping to freeze a layer until the end of a composition.
- Alpha-only Rendering from Adobe Media Encoder: Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017 can now render the alpha channel of any source, including After Effects compositions, as a grayscale image.
- User Interface Enhancements: The After Effects user interface has been updated to a new design with improved functionality. User interface elements, including icons and buttons, are now vector graphics that draw smoothly at any scale factor on high resolution monitors, such as Apple Retina displays.
- Additional native format support: Avid DNxHD and DNxHR QuickTime files can be exported without needing to install the Avid codecs package. RED camera raw file decoding now supports RED Helium sensor footage. RED footage can now also be processed using the GPU.
- Maxon CINEWARE 3.1: The latest version of Maxon’s CINEWARE plug-in includes bug fixes and improved OpenGL rendering.
- Extended Scripting Support: New scripting access to tools, composition markers, the Queue in AME command, and GPU acceleration options.
- And even more: Support for macOS 10.12 Sierra. Many additional small improvements, such as new 4K and 8K composition presets, and many bug fixes.