Today marks an important milestone for the Adobe Digital Marketing Business with the release of the Adobe Digital Index: Global Digital Advertising Update for Q1 2012. Data for this report is derived from the former Efficient Frontier, which was acquired by Adobe in January 2012. This report is focused on digital advertising industry insights for Q1 2012, as well as an outlook for the remainder of the year.
While these reports have long been a trusted source of data in the digital marketing industry, we are excited to add even more valuable insights from the Adobe Digital Marketing Suite, using analysis from technology Adobe acquired via Efficient Frontier and Context Optional, plus data from our client index across key verticals including retail, entertainment, CPG, and finance.
Some Q1 2012 Key Highlights:
- Search still remains the biggest driver of ROI for marketers, increasing 16 % Year over Year (YoY) during Q1 2012, absorbing the majority of biddable digital advertising spend.
- Mobile spend reached 8% of all search spend in the U.S. and 11% in the UK in Q1.
- Facebook spend has grown by 93% YoY and, on a relative basis, now represents 3-5% of search spend.
- Facebook post engagement increased 176% YoY.
Outlook for 2012:
- Search spend is expected to increase at a rate of 10 to 15 % for the rest of 2012 in the U.S.
- Tablet and mobile spend will likely make up 15 to 20 % of all search spend by the end of 2012.
- While Facebook ad CPCs have increased 40% Quarter over Quarter (QoQ) for the past three quarters, CPCs on Facebook “Sponsored Stories” tend to be lower than Facebook “Marketplace Ads,” which may contribute to temporary decreases in CPCs.
Download the full report here to learn about the four-fold growth in mobile traffic Year-over-Year, growing Facebook ad spend, and other key digital advertising trends and forecasts.
– Dr. Siddharth Shah
Director, Analytics, Adobe Digital Marketing Business