One look at the vast number of smart devices—smartphones, tablets, TVs, household appliances, and phablets (smartphone/tablets)—in use today, and it’s not surprising that mobile access is overtaking fixed Internet access. This trend, in turn, gives media and entertainment companies new opportunities as they look to engage larger, more targeted audiences.
Whether they are watching, reading, Tweeting about, or sharing streaming news, sports, TV shows, videos, or other content, consumers increasingly prefer to access content on demand on their terms and on their devices of choice. Media and entertainment companies must ask themselves a few questions: Are we delivering the right mobile experience to the right audiences and devices? And are theses the kinds of experiences that keep consumers returning to our brand?
Those media and entertainment companies that listen to consumers and understand their preferences can better meet rapidly changing consumer expectations. These companies are also best positioned to maximize returns on their technology and content investments when delivering entertainment and advertising to savvy, diverse global audiences.
By taking advantage of leading digital marketing solutions for analytics, testing, content publishing, and other activities, media and entertainment companies are gaining more user context and then applying mobile marketing tactics such as personalized app experiences, ads based on geolocation, and push notifications. These types of initiatives allow companies to extend the reach and frequency of their brands, deepen engagement, and uncover new options to monetize content.
There are several proven, helpful steps to follow for media and entertainment companies looking to get the most out of their mobile strategies:
- Develop a “mobile first” strategy. Reusing traditional content for mobile devices simply does not work. Create robust mobile specific executions and follow that with measurement and optimization strategies that are fully integrated into every other marketing initiative.
- Ensure context and relevancy. Media consumers are more willing to view an ad if it is relevant. Personalizing user experiences will ensure stickiness and return visitation, as well as more app downloads.
- Adopt second-screen experiences. Entertainment today for media multitaskers often seems incomplete without one or more mobile and tablet-specific counterparts.
- Connect the dots of the customer journey across all channels. To make experiences relevant, collect and integrate data from every touch point, including digital app downloads and engagement, activities on social networks, time spent interacting with digital magazines, location-specific data, in-game purchases, offline experiences, and more.
- Leverage Big Data and analytics. To drive better ads to the most valuable audience segments, aggregate and analyze data for better targeting, results, and customer engagement.
- Measure and monetize differently. By looking at metrics such as launches, monthly engaged users, and lifetime value, focus on performance metrics such as cost per install (CPI) and cost per engagement (CPE).
- Quantify and attribute. Measure and analyze the effectiveness of mobile-specific campaigns such as SMS, mobile search and display ads, and QR codes.
- Correlate mobile data. It’s important to look at the context of all digital channels—Web, social, and email.
- Do not rely on guesswork. Instead,adopt solutions that quantifiably answer pressing questions, such as “What types of paid media work for acquiring iOS audiences?” or “Which devices should we prioritize for delivering our entertainment, edutainment, advertorial, or videos?”
- Act swiftly. Mobile is transforming the marketing landscape faster than anyone could have ever imagined. The uptake and usage of mobile devices is a wave that media and entertainment marketers must catch, or risk being left behind.
Media and entertainment companies today need to adopt solutions that help them succeed throughout the entire cycle, from content or app creation through to delivery, analysis, and optimization to monetization. The mobile world in media and entertainment has become so complex that a solid foundation based on powerful, integrated digital marketing technology is a requirement for success.
For more information on how to harness mobile opportunities in media and entertainment, download the latest Adobe paper on “Mobile in Media and Entertainment: Tectonic Shifts and Big Opportunities.”