Adobe Pass Drives Mainstream Adoption of TV Everywhere

Adobe Pass, a key component of Adobe’s Project Primetime, has quickly established itself as the industry leader in TV Everywhere services. Used by NBC Olympics to enable live streams, Adobe Pass is now integrated with more than 150 pay TV providers and supports over 40 sites and mobile apps from 25 major networks including Fox, ESPN, CNN, TNT, MTV, Disney, and NBCU.

As TV Everywhere gains momentum, a transformation is occurring in how consumers engage with, and broadcast and cable networks monetize TV content. We’ve seen a 10-fold increase in authenticated streams in the first six months of 2012 and Adobe Pass has been used for a number of major events already this year, including NCAA March Madness, UEFA Euro 2012 soccer, the NBA playoffs and the London 2012 Olympic Games. Approximately 98 percent of pay TV households in the U.S. are now able to view TV content via the Adobe Pass service, which will also power college football and other major events for Pac-12, ESPN and the Big Ten this fall.

Adobe Pass supported NBC Olympics’ verification efforts for its coverage of the London Games, which resulted in more than 88 million authenticated streams to U.S. viewers, the highest number recorded for a single event in TV Everywhere history. Desktop consumption in the U.S. accounted for 70 percent of authenticated streams, while smartphones and tablets combined for the remaining 30 percent (with iOS leading by 81 percent, and Android serving 19 percent of the streams). A total of roughly seven million TV subscriber households accessed authenticated streams online from roughly 10 million authenticated devices.

Adobe Pass 2.0   

In addition to these latest numbers, we are also introducing Adobe Pass 2.0 today, which was successfully tested during the London Games. Adobe Pass 2.0 has several innovative capabilities, including:

  • Auto-Authentication: Support for Auto-Authentication in Adobe Pass 2.0 enables automatic recognition and authentication of customers, who receive both their TV and Internet service from the same provider. The feature, which makes the authentication process much more easy and seamless, was used by Comcast and Cablevision during the London Games and saw an authentication success rate that was 23 percent higher than pay TV operators that didn’t take advantage of the capability.
  • Free Preview: The new Free Preview feature offers consumers temporary access to premium TV content online for a pre-determined amount of time. The feature ensures that consumers have instant access to TV content without having to wait until the user credentials are verified.
  • Server side API: Coming this fall, Adobe Pass will make it even easier for programmers to support a broad range of devices. This new API enables content providers to integrate authentication within native applications from virtually any connected device ensuring faster time-to-market and allowing customers to expand the reach of TV Everywhere to the broadest possible audience.

We are excited about the state of TV Everywhere and how far Pass has come since its launch last year.

Adobe Pass Overview and Demo:

Video Summary of Key News:

This entry was posted in Video & Ad Solutions and tagged , , , , , , by Campbell Foster. Bookmark the permalink.

Campbell Foster

About Campbell Foster

Campbell Foster is Marketing Director for Adobe Primetime, leading global efforts to drive adoption of Adobe's video publishing, monetization and optimization technologies. Before Adobe, Campbell headed global Product Marketing for Google DoubleClick, managing ad serving, video, RTB, and rich media products. He served as a founding member of the DoubleClick Ad Exchange management team. Campbell earned an MBA, with Distinction, from NYU Stern School of Business and received a BA in English from Cornell University. Campbell is dedicated to exploring the intersection between technology and BBQ, and is actively developing the world's first automated barbecue smoking hygrometer.

Show Comments

Hide Comments

2 thoughts on “Adobe Pass Drives Mainstream Adoption of TV Everywhere

  1. The second video, you said “uh” so many times if it was a drinking game, I would’ve died of alcohol “uh” poisoning. Very unprofessional.