New Update to Digital Publishing Prerelease Tools

If you’re in the Digital Publishing Suite prerelease program, you’ve probably noticed an update to the Digital Publishing Suite authoring tools this week.  The latest version – Drop 8 – includes additions of frequently requested features and product improvements.  Check out some of the main features below.

New Overlay Creator Panel. A new Overlay Creator panel for InDesign CS5 replaces the standalone Interactive Overlay Creator app.  This change means that you can now create all overlays directly within InDesign as part of a more streamlined workflow. After installing the Overlay Creator panel, you can access it through the Window > Extensions > Overlay Creator menu.

Content Viewer for Desktop. The first iteration of the Content Viewer for Desktop is now available for testing content.  Because it doesn’t yet support all the features of its cousin, the Content Viewer for iPad, you should use it only as a basic testing tool (although we’re working feverishly on this).  It is our first step in creating viewers for multiple devices besides the iPad (including for Android and BlackBerry OS in the future).

eCommerce Subscription Services. Publishers can now utilize subscription models that allows readers to subscribe to a magazine and receive regular updates of content.  This is part of our vision to allow publishers a broad range of selling options through the eCommerce Service of the Digital Publishing Suite – including through mobile marketplaces or directly to consumers.  In Drop 8, customers can also specify content that should remain downloaded on a tablet device – a feature especially useful for news magazines.

In addition, the update also includes support for a grid view in the Content Viewer library, support for 3G downloading of folio files on the iPad, and a renaming of the “.issue” file format to “.folio”, among other improvements.

If you’re not yet part of the Digital Publishing Suite prerelease program, register for free access at www.adobe.com/beta and select “Adobe Digital Publishing Suite.”  You can also download the Digital Publishing Feature Summary and History (PDF, 1.0 MB) for a complete look at the Drop 8 features – as well as the feature history of the product since the beginning.

COMMENTS

• By Practical Paleo - 7:32 PM on September 5, 2012

Nice work guys! Good to see you’ve made some improvements from the previous version. There were some head-scratching bugs in there.

• By Tim Sykes - 7:17 PM on September 5, 2012

Yes I would also like to know where the download is for the desktop content viewer?
    Thanks

• By Matt Mewis - 4:16 PM on January 21, 2011

where is build 8? the downloads at adobe labs seem to be the older builds.

• By Dave Dickson - 9:20 PM on January 21, 2011

Drop 8 is available through the prerelease program at prerelease.adobe.com. If you haven’t signed up for prerelease you can do so at adobe.com/beta and select “Digital Publishing Suite” as the prerelease program.

• By Claire - 6:44 PM on January 11, 2011

Where is the download for the desktop content viewer?

• By Dave Dickson - 6:56 PM on January 13, 2011

It is located in the prerelease program portal.

• By patrizio - 12:15 PM on December 31, 2010

hello and thank you for the update news; I’ve joined in the prerelease program, but I didn’t get the new link to the Drop 8; I’d like to know how I can download the new tool including all the new featured describes in this article; Can You answer me, please? Thank You

• By Alex Joo - 6:19 AM on December 22, 2010

Whoops — didn’t mean to ask twice. Sorry, that’s how desperate I am!

• By Alex Joo - 7:33 PM on December 21, 2010

I downloaded the package when it launched in October (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitalpublishing/) without joining the prerelease program. But to get Drop 8, I need to join?

I have nothing against joining! I just want Drop 8 NOW! Feel like I’m falling behind since my folders are all in the old structure.

• By jcool - 4:16 PM on December 20, 2010

I work for a non-profit that is currently evaluating the distribution of our free digital magazine (currently PDF based) on the iPad platform. I’ve got a few questions about the pricing model and whether it could make sense for a non-profit, but I’m unsure who to contact about this.

Dave, could you email me?

• By mjb - 6:33 PM on December 15, 2010

TO the Adobe Prerelease Team:

Registered for the PreRelease Program back in November.
    The latest version – Drop 8 –

What is the criteria to get into this PreRelease Program?

Thanks!

Certified Expert in InDesign

• By Dave Dickson - 10:23 PM on December 17, 2010

Hi – this program is currently available to the public. Can you please resubmit your application at http://www.adobe.com/beta (select “Digital Publishing Suite” for the program)

• By Peter Villevoye - 7:48 AM on December 9, 2010

Great update and a huge leap from the currently available public beta (Drop 5). Seems that the format itself is maturing and development is shifting towards integrating and interfacing the process into the tools we know (and love…)

• By Dave Dickson - 5:16 PM on December 9, 2010

Glad to hear it’s working well for you.

• By Gilberto Balderas - 10:34 PM on December 8, 2010

Each time its easier thanks a lot.