Professional Edition – New Lower Platform Fee

Since we announced Digital Publishing Suite, we’ve seen a tremendous interest from all parts of the publishing industry in creating publications for tablet devices. Through our prerelease program and in our customer meetings, we’ve listened to many of you on how to make the price point for Digital Publishing Suite accessible to a broader segment of publishers. I’m excited to report that we’ve lowered the platform fee from US$699/month to US$495/month with a required annual upfront purchase. With this new pricing, additional publishers will be able to use the tools and hosted services to transform print publications for tablet devices.

The Professional Edition of Digital Publishing Suite will be available later in Q2 2011, and is priced using a monthly platform fee + a per .folio download fee. Enterprise Edition shipped previously in March 2011, provides integration with backend publishing systems, and is available through a custom quote, which begins at US$50,000 annually.

For more details on Digital Publishing Suite pricing, see http://www.adobe.com/products/digitalpublishingsuite/pricing/

COMMENTS

• By frei - 6:10 AM on November 18, 2011

Hello, i totally agree with Kevin Keim. I am definitly a user of Adobe products for creative project for so so many years and wish to extend our production to different platforms, devices, phone, TV…’z !! We stay tuned since i-pad / wired showed up with all the possibilites you could provide to open doors in and out our work and business… we are tuned but still watching those little wars : Apple + Microsoft / flash, now Adobe with digital !
    Come on… let the digital evolution go for the people, artists, little firms grow + + +
    ;-)

• By Kevin Keim - 9:33 PM on August 31, 2011

Hello, I’ve spoken at length with vendors for ADOBE DPS. I think it is clear that the current price models puts small publishers at a serious disadvantage. Plainly, Adobe’s strategy is to become a kind of digital “printer.” But where phsical printers actually provide actual units, paper and binding, Adobe’s claim to provide digital “copies” is disingenuous at best. Why should publishers have to add yet another line of risk to their business models? And why should Adobe benefit from this risk? Isn’t it fairer for Adobe to charge a percentage for successful sales? Can someone please explain this? I REALLY want to use Adobe, as I have for many, many years, but this is simply unaffordable, and puts publishers back into exactly the same mire they were in with earlier pre-digital business models enforced by bookstores and distributors.

Please, feedback anyone?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 9:54 PM on September 27, 2011

Hi Kevin, We hear you loud and clear and understand your frustration. We have heard similar requests from many of our users, so please know that our teams have been hard at work. We have some exciting news to share very soon… so stay tuned ;)

• By Flemming Rasmussen - 12:21 PM on August 3, 2011

I would also like to know when we can see a different pricing model including those for small/independent publishers and agencies.
    I think Adobe would sell more products with a lower entry price or pricing model, instead of this high upfront and annual fee.

Flemming

• By Shannon - 2:20 PM on July 25, 2011

We’ve all been duped by Adobe. Most of the design community is upset that we’ve invested our valuable time going through the digital publishing suite pre-release program only to have the rug pulled from underneath us. It’s very upsetting and I don’t see this being an industry changer that I originally thought it would be. You can’t segment the market this way. It’s either affordable to everyone or forget it.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 11:33 PM on July 26, 2011

Hi Shannon, We hear your frustration and have shared these comments with our team. We have heard many requests for publishing options and we’ve been working hard to do what we can around this. We’ll share updates as soon as they are available, and we appreciate your patience in the meantime. Your comments have been heard and your feedback does make a difference. Thanks, Shannon!

• By Chris - 11:24 PM on August 16, 2011

Hi Adobe,
        I know you’ve heard this many times, but there hasn’t been any updates to this it seems.

Is there any update to a more affordable pricing structure than what is available today for iPad publishing? It seems to me that with all the feedback you have been receiving from us users that this would be a tremendous opportunity to make available the tools more affordably for small design studios as well as freelancers. I don’t get it.

QuarkXpress has come out with a great affordable pricing structure for their tool for the iPad, and we are looking into using that tool, as it feels like Adobe is gauging its smaller designer businesses and freelancers.

I can see by this thread that you are going to start losing customers to other solutions like QuarkXpress pretty quickly here.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 10:03 PM on September 27, 2011

Hey Chris, We hear you. We understand your concern and frustration and as we have mentioned, we have shared these comments with the team. We’ll have some exciting news to share very soon… stay tuned! :)

• By Laura Wills - 10:17 PM on July 14, 2011

Any word yet on those lower cost pricing models for small businesses — or at least a date that we can look forward to hearing about them? Not knowing makes it hard to plan…

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 9:43 PM on July 28, 2011

Hi Laura, Thanks for asking. We have heard this feedback and have been hard at work. When we have updates, we will share them with you here. We appreciate your patience and encourage you to check back for updates from the team. Thanks for asking!

• By Pablo - 5:44 PM on June 30, 2011

Is there any other update in the price for smaller editors?
    We are a small publishing company and this price isn’t affordable at all.
    Maybe it could be some kind of discount for free magazines?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 10:01 PM on July 28, 2011

Hi Pablo, We are working on this. Stay tuned!

• By Jack - 3:23 PM on June 26, 2011

So I just got through making a really exciting .folio document to learn that I can’t use it, even locally on my own iPad to test out all the features. I don’t want to sell my product as an app, I don’t even want to sell it. I am trying to create an amazing portfolio for my client to take their presentations using their iPads. Why can’t I just upload .folio files straight to the adobe content viewer iPad app without the ability (or need) to upload them to a digital publishing suite site? It seems like such a waste of an excellent thing right now.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 12:21 AM on July 1, 2011

Hey there Jack, Can you please post this question in our DPS forum so our team can help you out: http://forums.adobe.com/community/dps. With the Folio Producer tools included in InDesign, you can create a .folio file and share it with another user who can then access the .folio on their ipad. Thanks for reaching out here on our blog!

• By Vickie - 9:25 PM on June 21, 2011

All I want to do is to create an interactive InDesign file and post on iPad to show my customer, I’m not sell it. Does Adobe have solutions for this need?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 12:28 AM on July 1, 2011

Hey there Vickie, Thanks for reaching out on our blog. The best place to get some help with your question is at: http://forums.adobe.com/community/dps. Thanks for your interest!

• By Dan R. Knudsen - 9:41 PM on June 20, 2011

What seemed to be a most promising new way to acces the important tablet and mobil market wanished with the price tag.
    Regards from just another dissapointed small publisher and graphic designer.

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Team - 10:02 PM on July 28, 2011

Hi Dan, Thank you for your feedback. We are working on various pricing options and will share updates when available.

• By John - 5:36 PM on May 16, 2011

I’m a solo photographer looking to do digital publishing and this “pro” price is just too far out of my range.

Plus you plan to “penalize” smaller businesses with a lack of options because they aren’t purchasing the enterprise level? WTF kinda customer service BS is that?

I can’t even afford the “pro” service… so, what am I complaining about?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 9:34 PM on May 16, 2011

Hi John, Thanks for this feedback. We’re investigating alternative, lower cost pricing models and will keep you updated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• By Kelley - 2:31 AM on May 13, 2011

Why not just make a reader available for Ipad, android, etc. and have companies host their own content?, much like PDFs?

I don’t understand what the problem with this is. I am a print designer. I would more rapidly learn HTML5 programing and buy the web suite and make a new website for each new month’s magazine than pay this much! All I want to do is have a sweeter looking pdf on these tablets and phones so my customers see that we are up with the times. I don’t sell my catalogs/newsletters/magazines and don’t need anyone else to host my content.

What’s the problem with that? Make an add-on (the content bundler) and charge $100-200. no monthly fee. You’ll make a mint. Not just wired and reader’s digest. But 75% of your current indesign owners.

• By Brian - 10:39 PM on May 6, 2011

Well, I strongly felt that the pricing is way too high… considering especially with non-profit organisation do not have the luxury of having access to large funds. It would be truly nice IF Adobe being more reasonable with pricing offering for non-profit organisation. We have our own in-house design using Adobe Creative Suite | Design Premium CS5 (as in for years with upgrades). I would think it is more user-friendly and more accessible for individual with disabilities using iPads.

It is so truly disappointing. Really deeply disappointed!

Have an amazing day!

• By Brian - 10:14 PM on May 12, 2011

Why has my comment been totally rewritten?

I never quite said the abov

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 9:40 PM on May 16, 2011

Hi Brian, Your comment was not intentionally edited or changed. Please let us know what it was supposed to say and we can fix that for you right away. Thanks for letting us know.

• By JP - 6:51 PM on May 3, 2011

Looking forward to how you can address the needs of a single creator trying to launch a single product/book?

• By jimpy - 7:30 PM on April 24, 2011

Ditch the monthly fee and charge on a per-project basis for the smaller market users.

• By jimpy - 7:28 PM on April 24, 2011

Way to keep the new printing press in the hands of the elite! Just like the dark ages, BRAVO ADOBE!

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 12:00 AM on May 3, 2011

Hi Jimpy- Thanks for this feedback. We’re investigating alternative, lower cost pricing models at present.

• By Jorge - 7:00 PM on April 21, 2011

I have been using Adobe software since 1989 and I’m getting disappointed with the astronomical costs that ask at this early stage of Digital Publishing.
    Many of the designers is that as I opened doors to the Adobe to position itself at the top market currently.
    Do we have to start thinking about other options?
    Thanks!

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 12:03 AM on May 3, 2011

Hi Jorge- Thanks for this feedback. We’re investigating other pricing options and models for independent publishers right now and will definitely let you know when we have something to announce. Thanks!

• By Jorge - 11:16 AM on May 3, 2011

Thanks for the reply.
        But the other prices options will be to …? And how much will it cost? I think that’s what everyone here wants to know!
        For me it is urgent to know that. Will I have to choose another software.
        Unfortunately I have little time to wait for other options.
        Best regards

• By Jorge - 6:59 PM on April 21, 2011

Será que teremos que começar a pensar em outras opções?
    Thanks!

• By michella lavigne - 10:09 AM on April 21, 2011

Thank you guys for the updates. I think as an editor in chief that the price you considered for the platform fee is a good one, considering what Woodwing is usually asking for.
    What I AGREE with all the people upset for the fee is the upfront payment of the entire year.
    A small company and a small editor get the advertising and the sales month by month.
    You should work on the same bases if you want to really keep all of your small prerelease partecipants. Upfront payment of a monthly base and of course who’s not paying is going to be blinded.
    Otherwise, commercially talking you are asking good money and I think you are going to loose the most of the people.
    thanks for sharing your ideas.
    bests

Michelle

• By Anita Osterhaug - 8:13 PM on April 18, 2011

We are doing digital publishing on the desktop with AIR and want to port our products to DPS Pro now. When will the Content Viewer be ready for desktop distribution of publications (as opposed to just previewing files meant for tablets)?

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 9:09 PM on April 18, 2011

Hi Anita, Thanks for your interest and reaching out to us! While we haven’t announced branded viewers for the desktop — aside from the current viewer used to preview .folio files on the desktop — we’ll certainly keep you informed of any new developments via this blog.

• By Gennady - 3:38 AM on April 14, 2011

Hi Dave,
    This is a good news.
    From http://www.adobe.com/products/digitalpublishingsuite/pricing/:
    “The Professional Edition of Digital Publishing Suite delivers a turnkey tablet publishing solution for medium-size publishers”.
    Could someone please answer what is Adobe’s definition of medium-size publisher?
    With a smallest commit of 25,000 folio downloads price would be US$11,440.00/year prepaid up-front. May we assume that there will also be publishing solution for small-size publishers with better pricing and pay as you go options per month or per issue?
    Thanks,
    Gennady

• By Bonnie Giordan - 8:11 PM on April 11, 2011

I look into the professional edition of DIgital Publishing Suite. This is for mid-size companies and not for small business or freelancers. Is your company going to produce another service to fit our needs? Thank you Bonnie

• By Adobe Digital Publishing Admin - 7:29 PM on April 15, 2011

Hi Bonnie, Thanks for your comment and your interest! We are definitely looking into how best to serve small and independent publisher because we know they make up a large part of InDesign users. We’ll be sure to share any updates here. Thanks.

• By tzafar20 - 8:49 PM on May 6, 2011

I second Bonnie’s comment. The DPS has tremendous potential for small business owners or independent designers/writers looking to publish content in a form more interactive & customizable than ePub.

Perhaps charging a percentage of the set price, per issue would be a solution. Allow smaller businesses and freelancers the opportunity to publish without that huge overhead.

Say that apple takes 30% of the total, and Adobe takes another ~20% (or higher if necessary). Adobe still makes money. Designers are able to practice, publish, and experiment; and hopefully the medium will progress and evolve very quickly.

Look at the success of Magcloud.com. There’s an incredible amount of creativity going on there, and it has continued to grow – no doubt raising awareness for their printing technology and raking in a bit of profit along the way.

• By SmartVisual - 2:03 AM on April 11, 2011