The Latest Release: New Device Support and Robust Analytics

Digital Publishing Suite, Release 24, is now live. We are excited to announce support for new devices, analytics on end user behavior, and improvements to the publishing workflow and reading experience. For more detail on any of the features, visit the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Help Site, hosted by Bob Bringhurst.

REACH MORE READERS: EXPANDED DEVICE SUPPORT
Support for iPad Mini
DPS apps built for iPad2 will automatically work for iPad Mini. With no extra effort, your app will be available for iPad Mini users as well. This benefits our Single Edition customers, as well as Pro and Enterprise.

Support for Kindle Fire HD 8.9” Device
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9” device is planned to ship on November 20th, and your publication can be immediately available for early adopters. In order to target the device, designers can develop a 1920×1200 folio.

Web Viewer on Windows 8
If you use social sharing, articles shared by your readers can be viewed on Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 web browsers.

IMPROVEMENTS FOR READERS
Folio Download in the Background
Your readers can now download a folio, leave the app, and do other activities on their iOS devices (check email, play Angry Birds) while the folio finishes downloading.  Publishers must update the app to R24 in order for this to work.

UNDERSTAND YOUR AUDIENCE WITH NEW ANALYTICS
Track Reader Behavior
For Site Catalyst users: Find out how long readers are using your app, the number of times they are opening it, total days spent reading, as well as peak usage hours. See a sample “App Usage” chart below.

URL Navigation Tracking
For Site Catalyst users: Track the number of readers that click on URLs associated with hyperlink overlays (e.g. “Buy now” button) and web content overlays (e.g. Twitter feed) and also understand how people are opening the URLs (in Device Browser or in app Viewer or in Webview). Now you can tell advertisers how many people opened up their website within the app or clicked on a link in a web content overlay. The chart below provides a sample of URL tracking.

Track User Device and Operating System
New analytics will show the devices and operating systems that are being used by readers to download your publication. Data will be broken down by the following information. See the chart below for a sample.

• Device type (e.g. mobile phone, tablet)
  • Devices (e.g. Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle Fire)
  • Device name (iPad 2, iPad 2 CDMA/GPS)
  • Manufacturer (e.g. Apple, Samsung)
  • Operating System (e.g. iOS, Android)
  • OS Version (e.g. iOS 5.11, Android 3.2)
  • Connection Type (e.g. LAN/Wifi, Mobile Carrier)
  • Carrier Name (e.g. AT&T)
  • Screen Size (height & width)

ACCOUNT ADMINISTRATION
Renewal Options
When it is time to renew your DPS license, you will be able to update your account through the reseller you purchased from or if you purchased online you can renew on adobe.com.

STREAMLINED WORKFLOW
Workflow Enhancements for Designers
The engineering team has made several changes to improve workflow efficiency for your designers:
1)   They can update multiple articles at once, instead of needing to update a single article at a time
2)   If a folio fails to publish due to server error, the publishing process resumes from the point where it stopped publishing.
3)   Folio Builder UI enhancements force designers to select the folio orientation before proceeding. This helps prevent publishing issues down the road.
4)   Error messages now point designers to Knowledge Base articles to aid in troubleshooting.

Workflow Enhancement for Enterprise Developers
You can now sign an in-house application with an enterprise mobile provision file that contains an explicit (non-wildcard) application ID. This change lets you manage the application independently from other apps in your organization.

Small changes

• Publishers can disable the Cover view in the iPad viewer library
  • The dialog box that asks readers to restore purchases has been eliminated. Readers can restore purchases using a button in the top right-hand corner.
  • Publishers that distribute private publications can remove an app from the collection without removing others.

Visit Bob Bringhurst’s site for details on any of the new features.

COMMENTS

• By Joyce - 5:41 PM on July 20, 2013

ADE only recognized my NOOK HD twice. My workaround: Borrow book from your online library and save to your computer. Open ADE.
    May have to use ADE Library function to bring book into ADE. Close ADE. Activate ADE account on NOOK by going to SETTINGS/ACCOUNT SETTINGS/
    Adobe Digital Editions. Delete “.adobe-digital-editions” folder from NOOK. Copy the book from your computer “My Digital Editions” folder
    to NOOK “My Files” folder. Click on NOOK book under My Files folder, may be asked to enter Adobe ID again. Have to perform these steps every time I borrow a book, minus activating ADE account on Nook

• By Patrice - 11:15 PM on June 15, 2013

Thanks JoAnn. My Nook color was showing up in ADE 2.0 however I couldn’t copy any books to the Nook until you showed me where they were located! It worked!

• By Jennifer - 1:10 PM on June 15, 2013

Still need help. Like Ann H., i too have a nook Simple Touch. I cannot “buy” any Overdrive app in the Nook Shop – it does not show, and my library tells me that is not possible. I can download library books as ASCM files onto my pc. I can plug my nook into the pc, which DOES recognize the nook, but Adobe’s Digital Editions doesn’t seem too (?) because when i try to transfer the book to the nook from ADE, the drop down choice of “nook” is listed, but not an active button I can effectively click on. Ready to throw my once beloved nook out and buy a Kobe or kindle! I was told I could read library borrows on it. I have reregisted my nook, uninstalled and reinstalled my laptop’s ADE, have the same ID and passwd for both ADE and nook, and am far beyond frustrated with the lack of help from Adobe and nook support.

• By Jill - 4:13 PM on May 28, 2013

When transferring books from ADE to my Nook tablet, the covers won’t transfer. Although they are showing up in my nook as pictures in my library. How can I get the covers to actually transfer to the books, so that when I move the books to my home page, they have their proper covers on them?

• By JoAnn - 4:13 PM on May 14, 2013

I just got a Nook HD for mother’s day and could not get ADE to recognize my Nook. Did some research and found a way to transfer my books from ADE to my Nook. On your computer go to your documents and find the My Adobe Digital Editions file. Open this file and your books are all there. Highlight the books you want to transfer and drag to the Nook. I was able to transfer all my books this way. Hope this helps someone.

• By Charlene - NC - 6:26 AM on May 13, 2013

James Simpson, thank you for your help. Maybe you can help me with the issue I am having with the Overdrive App. I have been reading my library books with a new Nook HS for a couple weeks now. The problem I have is that if I am reading a book and go to another area like the internet or play a game on the Nook I get the following error when I try to go back to my book through the Overdrive App:
    “Error retrieving EPUB chapter count. Error reading EPUB structure. Error code 3006.”

The only way to get back to my book is to download it from the library to the App again. Not only is this annoying but if I am not near a WiFi hotspot or at home I am screwed and cannot access my books. What can I do to be able to use my NookHD away from a wifi connection for more than just reading (and hope I do not hit the power button or something and lose my book)?

• By Ann H. - 7:23 PM on May 12, 2013

I have a Nook Simple Touch. I was told that Overdrive does not work with this. Have ADE on my computer but sometimes it does not recognize the Nook. Can not download books from the library — get the “error book has been returned to library message” all the time. When I plug my Nook into the computer & ask for a listing of books in my library — nothing ever shows up. This is a most frustrating situation for people who read daily. Isn’t there some solution to all these problems. My Nook has deactivated, frozen up & fails to download from the library and it seems ADE should work better than this!

• By James Simpson - 8:07 PM on April 18, 2013

Please see my post. Let me know if it works.

• By James Simpson - 8:07 PM on April 18, 2013

PLEASE READ.

I am a Barnes and Noble employee and I can help with the issues most of you are having here.

Some caveats to what I am posting:
    1. This will NOT work for books purchased from non-BN websites (booksamillion, edelweiss, etc)
    2. You will NOT need to use ADE at all on the HD or HD+ devices.
    3. You will need the following to access most library books:
    a. Internet connection (downloads only)
    b. Current library card
    c. PIN/Password for your library account (if required)
    4. I have ZERO ability to change how quickly Adobe allows ADE to recognize the Nook HD or Nook HD+. As new devices it is their choice when it will be supported.

These instructions should allow you to enjoy books from your local library for free.
    1. Download the Overdrive app from the Nook Shop. The app is free and a search for “Overdrive” will list it in the first 5 results.
    2. Open the Overdrive app.
    3. In the upper right hand corner there is an icon that has 3 small boxes. This opens your settings. Press to open settings
    4. Enter your Adobe ID. If you do not have one you can create one (for free) here.
    5. Scroll to the bottom. As you get near the bottom you will see an option for “Save downloaded titles to…” Choose “App Storage.”
    6. Hit the Back button located in the lower right corner of the screen.
    7. Tap the icon of the book with the plus sign. This will allow you to add a library. This button will serve to add new books in the future.
    8. The app will walk you through adding a library branch. Each library has a different set of login requirements. Please call your local library for their requirements.
    9. The Overdrive app uses its own browser to download books. Each website has different options for downloading the books. Some will specifically list an Overdrive download. Choose this option, if listed. If not choose “Epub.” If you are using a Kindle, choose “Kindle Book.”

Once the books have been downloaded into your app you can enjoy them. The books must be read in the app and will not appear in the normal “Library” of purchased content. The app will allow you to adjust the font size, style, etc like the Nook reader. You also have the option to download audio books if your library supports them.

I hope this helps most of you.

As a reminder, the Nook store has over 1.7 million free titles to read. Tons of them are great reads. To find a great, free title search for a genre with 0.00 preceding (ex. 0.00 mystery). You can search for titles, author, subject, but your best bet is with genre. Enjoy!

• By Dolly - 3:56 AM on April 4, 2013

I got the Nook HD+ as a gift – I had just purchased myself an Ipad. I also have had no luck with Overdrive. I get downloaded jpeg jacket covers but no text. I have to read them on the library site – how ridiculous is that. No one at BN would help when I went into store for advise. Local library also has no clue. Unfortunately I returned the Ipad in favor of the Nook and am very disappointed I chose Nook.

• By Theresa - 11:14 AM on March 20, 2013

I can not get my adobe ID to work on my kindle using the overdrive program that is linked with my local library. frustrated that my reasons for buying the kindle can not be useful.

• By Jolina - 10:02 AM on March 10, 2013

Our children got three Nook HD’s for Christmas and I am so angry at this issue! I have spent the past FOUR hours struggling with ADE not recognizing the nooks and getting the error dialog “this book has been returned”. For $600 this is complete garbage! We should have bought them mini i pad’s or Kindle’s! I do not want to purchase books for kids – I want to borrow them. We only bought them nooks because B&N told us there were many more library books to borrow for the Nook than the Kindle. That’s fine and dandy IF I could actually get them on the Nook. Thank you B&N for robbing an active duty military family with your misguided lies!

• By James Simpson - 8:10 PM on April 18, 2013

If you haven’t gotten it to work, please read my post below. You will not need to use ADE for library books.

• By Shirley Winkelhoch - 6:41 AM on March 8, 2013

I am unable after many tries, to get Adobe installed for my St. Louis Library account,for my Kindle Fire. I don’t know what to do any more. I have apparently filled out the form more than once and it now says “this _____ already in use” or, unable to complete, or wrong password. I even went on line and changed my Adobe password from Winkel to genieshirl thinking it would transfer to my Kindle, it did not. The “Overdrive” is in place. I am desperate. I would like to go back and start all over with Adobe but I don’t know how to do that.

• By Gail - 11:52 AM on February 17, 2013

I just purchased a Nook HD and it has been a nightmare – I finally got the Overdrive application loaded but am still having difficulty in reading the books from the library. My NOOK is also not recognized as a bookshelf in the latest version of ADE so I cannot transfer my older books to the new device. Both my computers do recognize it as a device however. Can somebody give me an idea of where to go next to get the NOOK HD and my computers ADE to see each other.

• By metrix setpoint - 12:55 AM on February 3, 2013

If you would like to get much from this post then you have to
    apply these methods to your won website.

• By Leo - 10:09 AM on February 2, 2013

Hi, I was wondering if it’s possible to track clicks within hyperlinks in a PDF publiches through the Creative Clouds software package?

• By Ed - 8:55 PM on January 22, 2013

I have Windows, my wife has a Mac. I gave her a nook HD for Christmas. We can use Overdrive to load books directly from the Phoenix Lib. I wanted to use ADE also. On her Mac, all is well until I try to open the ADE delivered book on the nook – “ERROR This book has been returned”. When using Windows, ADE does not see the nook, I then open the ADE book in Windows Explorer and Copy/paste to the connected nook..

• By gerard - 4:42 PM on January 18, 2013

We should all demand our money back

• By Denise - 5:27 PM on January 16, 2013

This is totally unacceptable!!!!!! After seeing all these posts, I can’t believe the problem has’nt been fixed. Is anyone at adobe or b&n even trying?

• By Laura - 12:12 PM on January 13, 2013

where is the fix?

• By Laura - 12:11 PM on January 13, 2013

doesn’t work for my nook HD either – when will anyone monitoring supply a response?

• By K - 10:46 AM on January 12, 2013

Another frustrated nook user. C’mon Adobe and BN, get your respective acts together!!!

• By Faith - 1:12 PM on January 10, 2013

getting very annoyed attempting to log in to use Overdrive on my Kobo Arc it WILL NOT recognize my email and password and yet I have had them both as Adobe ID for a while.

• By Carly - 5:12 PM on January 9, 2013

Has anyone had any luck with recognition of Nook HD by ADE?

My husband bought me a Nook HD for Christmas. I too am having an issue with the ADE recognizing my Nook HD when connected. Because my previous Nook was the (1st edition) black/white model, the bulk of my current library is PDF downloads transferred from ADE. I am also an avid borrower of e-books users via ODMC, although I have not yet attempted this on my new device.

• By Terr - 7:38 AM on January 8, 2013

I got some books to finally download in December, but now cannot get it to work again. I agree this is ridiculous!! B&N and Adobe and that Overdrive need to get this figured out so it is EASY to use. Should not have to jump through so many hoops.

• By Louise - 8:57 PM on December 5, 2012

I have the Nook HD, got ADE to be recognized by changing my email address. However, I too am a library person. Once the book is on the Nook, “book has been returned” error dialog comes up and sometimes “reader has stopped”. I have literally spent hours on the phone with techs and they don’t have a clue how to fix this. Returned the HD and got another and same problem exists. End of story – am returning the Nook HD since I believe now that I’m not the only one with this problem.

Question now is, what should I buy that will be a good e reader to download library books!!! Or should I just suck it up and get an Apple ipad?

• By Nickie - 4:25 PM on December 4, 2012

I just used the Overdrive app from B&N and was able to download my book from the library, unfortunately it loads the book chapter by chapter when your reading ,while this is annoying it at least still lets you get your books from the library, I hope this helps everyone.

• By Renee - 10:09 AM on December 4, 2012

Need to load OverDrive Media Console v2.6 on the Nook. Go to B&N Nook support page and type in OverDrive Media Console . There are instructions for setting up a direct feed from the library bypassing the PC and ADE altogether. I haven’t got it to work yet, but at least have hope.

• By Nickie - 4:25 PM on December 4, 2012

Thanks for the info it does work.

• By Kai - 2:48 PM on December 1, 2012

same here – Nook HD not recognized by Win7 desktop where I have all my library books. This is ridiculous! How could B&N not worked this out with Adobe prior to release? Nook HD is not listed as supported device for Adobe digital reader! (I did not realize this prior to buying it). I like the Nook, but really all I want is to read library books on it, and obviously they don’t care about such owners who are not inclined to buying e-books from B&N…. Considering returning…

• By Jim - 7:50 PM on November 25, 2012

I also got a Nook HD on Nov.24, can’t get ADE to recognize it. Need help, or I may have to return the Nook. Thanks.

• By Michael - 11:43 AM on December 1, 2012

Were you able to resolve this problem? I have the same one.

• By py - 2:42 PM on November 24, 2012

I also just purchased a Nook HD and, like Beth and Iuanne today, cannot get the ADE to recognize it. The whole point of purchasing the Nook HD was so I could read books from my library. I have tried EVERYTHING. Print out, live directions form Barns and Nobel, etc.Please help! Thanks

• By luanne - 7:07 PM on November 23, 2012

I also just purchased a Nook HD and, like Beth on Nov. 15, cannot get the ADE to recognize it. The whole point of purchasing the Nook HD was so I could read books from my library. I have tried EVERYTHING. Please help! Thanks

• By beth - 1:09 PM on November 15, 2012

just received a Nook HD and cannot get the ADE 2.0 to recognize it when connected. Tech support for Nook wasn’t much help. Is this and ADE issue or a Nook issue?

• By Michael - 11:42 AM on December 1, 2012

I also have a Nook HD which can’t find ADE. I have tried all the fixes and can find and none work. Is there any help anywhere?

• By clive tear - 6:26 AM on November 12, 2012

I was considering buying the Kindle Fire reader but my local library advised me that I would not be able to download it’s books on that device. However I notice this website of yours does mention the Kindle Fire HD reader device and I wondered if it was likely to be included on your compatible list soon.

Otherwise I am considerreing buying the Nook simple touch glowlight model and would ask if that device is definately supported on the Adobe digital editions application.