With the latest release of Adobe Acrobat/Reader XI there is a new feature available for structuring text in rich-text fields in XFA-based forms. You can now add/modify tab-stops in rich-text fields using new UI components. Adding tab-stops in rich-text fields allows for better formatting and table-like structuring of the text, which is a much requested feature from customers and users.
You download the sample file tabstops_richtext_field_dyn.pdf to see how this feature works.
1. Open the sample file in Acrobat/Reader XI.
2. Place the cursor in the large rich-text field.
3. Press CTRL+E on the keyboard to bring up the Form Field Text Properties toolbar.
4. Click the button “More…”
5. You will see the new Tabs dialog where you can create/modify the tabs in the field.
6. From here you can create/modify/delete the defined tab-stops, and change the alignment (Left, Right, Center, Decimal), or the position.
You can now also use the key combination CTRL+TAB on the keyboard to tab between tab-stops in the rich-text field.
The measurement units for the tab stops are inherited from the units defined in the Preferences (Edit > Preferences > Units & Guides > Page & Ruler Units):