Dreamforce 2016 is a wrap and what a week it has been. As a sales leader, I wanted to share some of my key takeaways from the event. With 170,000 registered attendees all working in or in support of sales, Dreamforce is not only the largest tech gathering but the largest sales gathering in the world. The main themes this year are “Be Your Best and Be a Trailblazer”, both of which speak to the future of work in sales.
Here is a quick summary of the main themes we discussed this week and I look forward to sharing with you more on the future of sales right here on this blog over the next few weeks.
- Trailblazing means leading the way. As sellers, our default thinking is how we are leading the way in our market and with our products. But how are we leading the way with our customers? The best companies today don’t just have trailblazing products, they have trailblazing processes, structures, tools, and people that blaze a path for customer success.
- Along with leading the way, trailblazing organizations are changing the way they sell to meet their customer’s new expectations. They are throwing out conventional thoughts of B2B and B2C and embracing the concept of B2All. They are facilitating buying experiences, not forcing sales processes. And, they are treating their buyers as peers (equals) not partners.
- Trailblazers set the tone for success by creating experiences for their customers.
- Trailblazing can be taught. A sales team is at their best, when they capture what is working now for the best on the team and use that information to train the rest of the team.
- Being your best as an organization means that everyone has a stake in customer success. You can’t have one department operating well, only to have the customer let down by another.
Join the conversation. I would love to hear from you about your thoughts on the future of sales. What do you see coming, and what are you embracing now to accelerate sales?