by Julieanne Kost

Comments (9)

Created

August 10, 2011

Limit an image’s file size when exporting as JPEG by checking the “Limit File Size To” option in the File Settings section of the Export dialog box. When exporting other file formats, it is also possible to choose to limit the file size to “Megapixels” (under the Resize to Fit option in the Image Sizing section) to limit the file size. Plus, you can check the “Don’t Enlarge” button in order to prevent resizing an image larger.

COMMENTS

• By Marc W. - 8:52 PM on August 16, 2011

Hi Julianne, Is it possible to really lock the size of a file so that it can not be enlarged in Adobe Photoshop? I like your post above, but found that even after following your instructions, that an image can still be opened up in CS5 and enlarged even if you are using the ” limit the file size. Plus, you can check the “Don’t Enlarge” button in order to prevent resizing an image larger.” Just curious. Thank you.

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:50 AM on August 17, 2011

I don’t know of a way to lock the size of a Photoshop file so that someone else couldn’t resample it larger. You can lock a layer in the Layers panel, but someone can always unlock that. I suppose you could save it as a PDF and then add security to it so as not to have people make changes to it, but event then, if someone can see it on the screen, they can always take a screenshot and resample it larger.

• By Elizabeth Casey - 1:35 PM on January 30, 2012

Hi Julieanne,
    When you choose the “limit file size” option when exporting, what is it doing to the image? If I choose 5000K as the limit, is it creating the highest quality image within that file size? I’m trying to figure out the best way to export files for my weddings. I want to give them the option of printing up to a 5×7 in size so I want them to have a decent sized/quality photo to use without having a 10 MB file on the disk which they don’t need and of course it takes up more room on the CDs that I burn for them. Do you have some insight/thoughts for me? Thanks!
    Elizabeth

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:35 PM on January 30, 2012

Yes, you understand what the feature does – if you choose 5000k as the limit, LR will optimize the compression to give you the best quality while keeping the file size under the value you define. I would do a test of maybe 20 typical images with that setting, then you can also do a test of the same images, but set the quality slider to a numeric value like 80 (at that level LR will typically cut the original file size in half). Since the content of the image (if it’s high or low frequency) effects how effective the compression is, you might find that setting the quality (not the Limit File SIze) works better. Each file size will be different, but you don’t risk making a rally high frequency (super detailed) image look too compressed.

• By Elizabeth Casey - 7:13 AM on February 1, 2012

Thanks Julieanne! So very helpful! One more question – If I want them to be able to print up to a 5×7 (so they can print anything smaller at a different ratio as well) and I choose the “resize to fit” option and choose 5×7 width and height, will it crop it to that size or make the picture the appropriate resolution? Trying to figure out the best way to export based on my business printing policy. How is this actually working? Thanks so much!

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:17 AM on February 1, 2012

If you want to export a 5×7 @300 pip, you need to first crop to a 5×7 aspect ration in the Develop module. Then, on export, you will define the width and height and resolution and that will be the exact size of your ‘exported” file.

• By andrea burke - 7:59 AM on March 5, 2012

I am trying to make a picture slide show using Adobe Premiere 9. When I try to import the photo file it says that the file size is too large. I can’t find any info telling me how to resize. This is going to be a slide show that may get hooke up to a projector for viewing at a team dinner, or just watched on the computer. The photos of this project are not for printing. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resize the photos before I try to import to Priemere. Thanks for help.

• By Jan Paxton - 10:47 AM on October 3, 2012

I am new to light room and have LR 3.6, I had always exported my files on the presets which were on the program when I received it then I tried to downsize a file and ran into trouble. I discovered the preset (upper left) on export and clicked on “e-mail size) now I don’t know how to return it to the original presets for large JPEG and can’t reset it to the W & H it was originally. Can you help me.

Thanks, Jan

• By Pete Green - 12:03 PM on October 3, 2012

When you choose File > Export
      In the export window is where you can create new presets, or edit existing ones.
      At the top of the export window is “Export To” If it’s set to Email, change to Hard Drive. Specify the folder to export to. Then scroll down in the settings to File Settings -> Set Image Format to JPEG/Quality 80 – 100, no limit on file size.
      There is an Image Sizing section next, and you can specify W and H settings if you want, or just make sure that the “Resize to Fit” is turned off, if you don’t want any size changes.
      Once you have the settings in a way you’d like, Click the Add button to name and create your own new preset that you can access again in the future.

Hope this helps.