by Julieanne Kost

Comments (14)

Created

April 18, 2012

When saving a Develop preset to enable lens correction check the “Lens Profile Corrections” option in the New Develop Preset dialog.  To remove Chromatic Aberration, check that option as well. The other options (Transform and Lens Vignetting) refer to the options in the Manual area of the panel and are, as a general rule, more likely to be applied on a per image basis and not as part of a Lens Correction preset (of course there are exceptions).

COMMENTS

• By Boris - 3:42 AM on April 24, 2012

I have a preset for lens color calibration. Should I include it in the lens profile correction preset or should I have it as a separate preset?

• By juanba - 5:40 PM on July 12, 2012

Hi, I have already set my Canon 7D setting of lens correction to ON, meaning that the camera already corrects those characteristics while taking the picture, at least that is what I think. Re-correcting it in Adobe Lightroom won’t we a redundant action? I mean correcting the lens in an image that has been already corrected in the camera while taking the picture, is that it? In the CR2 RAW image info or metadata that saves the camera, isn’t it saved that you apply already this correction by hardware so the LR would know not to enable this Lens correction function by software?

Thanks Julieanne for all your posts and videos, they are really great and useful stuff. Greetings from Argentina.

• By Julieanne Kost - 2:38 PM on July 16, 2012

If you are capturing as JPEG, then the lens correction will already be applied to the JPEG image. If you are capturing in RAW, then the Lens correction setting on the camera will not be applied and you should apply the lens correction option in Lightroom.

• By juanba - 6:59 AM on July 25, 2012

Thank you!

• By lorin duckman - 1:28 PM on January 21, 2013

My LR4 doesn’t have a profile for my canon 85 1.2. Where do I find it and how to I install it?

• By Bob - 6:17 AM on February 25, 2013

I just did a test of the Lens Correction in LR 4.3

I shoot RAW+Jpeg and choose to have those files import/show side by side in LR.

When shooting with the Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, and after import, I notice that when looking at the RAW file and with:
    “Enable Profile Corrections” checked with “Defaults” being the option, the correct “Make” “Model” and “Profile” is automatically filled in and correct. However, when I select the .jpeg version of that file, “Custom” is auto filled and now the “Model” sets itself to “Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D with the “Profile” setting to “Adobe (Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D)

What’s further interesting is with the .jpeg image, there is a total of only 8 lenses that can be viewed or selected in the “Model” drop down, which does not include the 1.4G and the file was shot with as mentioned above, whereas with the NEF file, there is the full 70 lens to choose from.

In all cases with the .jpeg file, the “Reset Lens Profile Defaults” is greyed out (not selectable) in any of the drop down settings of “Default” “Auto” or “Custom”.

How do you get the 50mm 1.4G lens to show up in that drop down lens choices when viewing the .jpeg file?

• By Bob - 6:37 AM on February 25, 2013

Hi again

I should also note that when shooting with the Nikkor 18-200 DX VR II 3.5-5.6 lens, the lens that shows for the NEF file is correct:

“AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II” whereas the jpeg version shows:

“AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED”

While the ” II ” is not displayed for the jpeg version at least the ” G ” is correctly displayed, perhaps because there is no other version for that lens except for the “G”. But again, why is the “D” the only option for the 50mm lens for the jpeg file as mentioned above?

• By Gord Cheong - 8:33 AM on April 6, 2013

When using Hasselblad’s Phocus software, Lens Correction is automatically applied to imported images by default. You need to manually turn this off if you desire.
    Can Lens Correction be automatically applied (box checked) to mixed body/lens combinations on import in LR4?
    If not where can I put it on the “wish list’ for LR5?
    Cheers

• By Larry - 6:38 AM on April 11, 2013

I am new to Lightroom and have just upgraded to version 4.4. I have a few questions regarding the use of the lens correction panel. I am using Nikon D800 and D600 cameras and Nikon lens.

When reviewing my photos in the Library Module the lens referenced is correct whether JPG or RAW. When in the Development module some of these same lenses are not available for JPEG photos. Are the JPEG photos already corrected for the lens shown in Library mode or should they also be corrected i the development module if it lists the lens used? I have tried this on one photo but it made that a default which was mis-applied on other photos shot with different lenses. How do I delete improper selections? And finally, I have saved as defaults profiles my lenses which are all available in RAW but the photos do not automatically pick this up and I have to refer to the complete list every time. Could you clear the use of this feature up?

• By Foto - 9:54 AM on August 20, 2013

Suppose I enable the “Lens Profile Corrections” option in the New Develop Preset dialog (and Chromatic Aberration as well), does Lightroom perform a correction for any lens I use? So, I don’t need tot make two development presents: one for lens A and one for lens B?

• By Julieanne Kost - 11:26 AM on August 29, 2013

Correct – that check just says to toggle on the lens correction feature. LR will then analyze each image to find out which lens profile to use.