by Julieanne Kost

Comments (26)

Created

May 29, 2012

Sharad Mangalick (product manager for Lightroom) provides a nice summary:

Camera Raw 7.1 is now available on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Adobe Photoshop CS6. Camera Raw 7.1 adds new Defringe controls to help address chromatic aberration. Defringe is available as part of the Lens Correction panel. Camera Raw can also now read 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit HDR files. Supported HDR formats are TIFF and DNG.  Photoshop CS6 customers can upgrade to Camera Raw 7.1.  Customers of previous versions of Photoshop can utilize DNG Converter 7.1 for raw file support for newly added cameras.

More details about ACR 7.1 and DNG Converter 7.1 here via the Lightroom Journal.

And Lightroom 4.1 is now available as a final release on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Lightroom 4 (Under the Help menu). More information posted here on the Lightroom Journal.

COMMENTS

• By Francis - 10:41 PM on May 29, 2012

It’s happening, the update, 7.1 it might just solve our problem…

L.

• By Jerry - 5:37 AM on May 30, 2012

will camera raw be available for the Nikon D3200

• By Noel Carboni - 7:23 AM on May 30, 2012

Did you make any of the changes to deal with the problems highlighted on the Camera Raw forum, such as putting back the Defringe: All Edges feature you removed without providing a workable substitute? Or deal with the columnar color artifacts?

Of course not.

You folks really do need to consider feedback from folks kind enough to test your beta software and provide feedback on what you’ve done wrong before actually releasing it.

-Noel

• By Peter Croft - 7:11 PM on May 30, 2012

I don’t understand. Nowhere do you say anything about Photoshop Elements. I’ve just bought PE v10. Can I install this Camera Raw version? Why don’t you say?

I’ve also got Lightroom v4. Do I install this new Camera Raw 7.1 for use with LR?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:36 AM on May 31, 2012

When you update to LR4.1 you will automatically get CR 7.1. It will not be available in PE10.

• By Tom - 8:07 PM on May 30, 2012

When will photoshop elements 10 get the 7.1 update?

• By Tom - 8:08 PM on May 30, 2012

I also have the D3200.

• By Julian - 2:27 PM on May 31, 2012

When will the raw 7.1 upgrade be available for Elements 10? I installed it in CS 6

• By Julieanne Kost - 6:44 AM on June 1, 2012

The update will not be available in PE10.

• By Allen Chernack - 4:47 PM on June 1, 2012

Why not? That stinks. I’m talking PSE10.

• By Peter Croft - 4:09 AM on June 2, 2012

If it won’t be available for Elements 10, why didn’t you say so at the start??? By staying silent, all you’ve done is anger everyone. Typical Adobe style.

Why don’t I buy CS6? Because it is prohibitively expensive!!! In Australia it’s more than $1,100. Adobe adds a 50% premium for “support” in this country. Go away.

• By Peter Croft - 4:16 AM on June 2, 2012

PS: Adobe is one of the prime suspects in an Australian Senate enquiry underway very soon examining predatory overcharging in this country.

• By Julieanne Kost - 7:01 AM on June 4, 2012

If you’re looking to install ACR 7.1 for the new camera support but have an older version of PS, LR or PSE and don’t want to upgrade, you can always use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert you file so that the older versions can open them.

As a side note, the engineering team hadn’t even started development on the new feature set for ACR 7 when we shipped PSE10. I imagine that it will be available with the next version of PSE.

• By Susanne Karlak - 9:38 AM on June 4, 2012

Julieanne …
    I met you at the Palo Alto Camera Club event; I’m your “huge” fan!
    I’m an “artist” and not technically “advanced”. I’m now using the Nikon D800, PS-CS4, and Mac OS X 10.5.8. I’ve downloaded the DNG download; how can I convert the NEF to DNG if I can’t open the NEF files? What do I need to do?
    Thanks in advance …
    Susanne Karlak

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:38 AM on June 5, 2012

You drag your images on top of the DNG converter and it will launch the application and give you options for converting your file.

• By Carl-Axel Sjöblom - 12:30 PM on June 4, 2012

What do you mean by “next version” of PSE10? I am in the process of buying PSE10 instead of upgrading to PS6 in order to keep costs down. If I do so right now, will I be able to upgrade PSE10 at no cost to the “new version”?

• By Julieanne Kost - 8:21 AM on June 5, 2012

Unfortunately I can’t talk about unannounced products, but I certainly can imagine that someday Adobe will release another version of PSE. When that day will be, I have no idea. If I were you, I might take a look at the previous release dates for the product – that could help you form an “educated guess”, but again, I’m not promising anything.

• By Darren - 8:15 AM on June 5, 2012

This blog has a lot of great information and all people do is bitch. You should address your complaints to Adobe not as comments in a blog. Ms. Kost is an excellent resource and shouldn’t be the target of people’s ire for simply providing valuable information

• By Ron Bernstein - 6:34 PM on June 12, 2012

Please explain how to set LR 4.1 and/or PS CS6 (MAC) so that when I double click on a NEF file in LR it opens in PS6 in ACR. The only way it works now is if I go through Bridge, click on the image, and indicate to open the file in ACR. This problem occurs with both Canon and Nikon files. I downloaded the latest update to ACR 7.1 -and to cs 6 and lr 4, for that matter.

Thank you!

• By Jon - 9:30 AM on July 2, 2012

When I export files to JPG resized and original size, I have different results. Resized jpg file is a little brighter. Why is that?

• By Jon - 9:31 AM on July 2, 2012

I use Lightroom 4

• By Walt - 9:28 AM on July 17, 2012

Any guess on availability of ACR 7.2 and whether it will support Sony RX-100?