by Julieanne Kost

 Comments (3)


May 24, 2012

In Photoshop CS6, not only can you use a Layer Group as the bottom of a Clipping Mask (so that you can clip the contents of a layer(s) to the contents of an entire group) but you can also add Layer Effects/Styles to a Layer Group to have the style applied to all of the layers in the Group (as a single unit).


  • By richard swearinger - 11:36 AM on May 29, 2012  

    The term “clipping” confuses me. I always thought it was “clipping” as in using imaginary electronic scissors to clip away the things you didn’t want seen, or the element you wanted the text to wrap around.
    But it sounds like you’re using “clipping” in the sense of “attaching.” Have I been mistaken all these years?

    • By Julieanne Kost - 10:49 AM on May 31, 2012  

      In this video, I used clipping to describe the way that the top layer of a clipping group is only displayed where there is data on the layer below.

  • By Shangara Singh - 11:59 PM on July 20, 2012  

    You are using “imaginary electronic scissors to clip.” The scissors happen to be the transparency on the base layer. Where it overlaps the content of the layer above it, that content is “clipped.”

    Try this:
    1. Create a type layer and use a large font size (a layer with content will do but a type layer is a good candidate)
    2. Create a new, empty layer below it
    3. Select the layer above it and press Command+Option+G or Ctrl+Alt+G in Windows.

    Result: all content “clipped” away by the transparency of the new layer, or electronic scissors.

    Now, fill the empty layer with content and move it around.