by Julieanne Kost

Comments (13)

Created

June 19, 2012

Shift + F1 will darken the appearance of Photoshop CS6’s interface by one step. Shift + F2 will brighten the interface by one step. Note: on a laptop, you might need to add the function key. Note: you can also change the appearance of the interface under Preferences > Interface > Color Theme.

In addition, you can Control -click (Mac) / Right Mouse -click (Win) in the grey area surrounding an image to change the color. This changes the interface behind your image, not the background color of your image.

COMMENTS

• By Gjermund - 10:29 AM on June 27, 2012

Is it possible to turn this off? I’ve binded this to some actions that I use frequently.

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:15 AM on June 28, 2012

I believe that they are hardwired. I looked through Photoshop’s Customizable Keyboard Shortcuts but didn’t see a way to change them.

• By Salman Amin - 4:25 AM on July 2, 2012

excellent. it works for me.

• By John Reveley - 7:10 AM on August 10, 2012

I’m with Gjermund on this one, I use keystokes throughout my workflow and the ability to change the theme colours is way down on my priority list, so why have Adobe decided to waste this prime keystroke without the faciltiy to turn it off?

• By Lauren - 8:26 PM on August 24, 2012

I have just got CS6 and I preferred the interface in CS5 where you could see your desktop through the photoshop interface on a Mac. Is it still possible to change the interface settings on CS6 to perform like this?

• By Julieanne Kost - 10:16 AM on August 28, 2012

Choose Window > Application Frame and toggle it off.

• By Darbo Scalante - 9:26 PM on September 26, 2012

I’m with Gjermund and a lot of people that consider this “improvement” as a loss of interface resources.
    In fact, changing interface color scheme is not a primarily function, maybe some one that uses it as an addict could create its own shortcut.
    For me the real use for Ctrl+F2 (mac) is to focus on menu.

• By Julieanne Kost - 12:36 PM on September 28, 2012

Darbo,
      Can you please post this to the forum so that the product team sees your request?

• By Darbo Scalante - 6:48 PM on May 10, 2013

I couldn’t start my Photoshop.com registry, so, I wrote what you ask right here. I hope that you can post it!

Software version: IllustratorCs6, Photoshop Cs6
        OS: MacOsX
        Issue: There’s no way to set back the prior functionality for system shortcut Ctrl+F2, “MoveFocusToTheMenuBar”
        Current action: the shortcut triggers “Change colour interface”
        Desirable action (the past one): “Focus on menu” (enabled via AppleMenu>SystemPreferences>Keyboard>[KeyboardShortcuts]>Keyboard&TextInput>MoveFocusToTheMenuBar)

A lot of people as me consider this “improvement” as a loss of interface resources: (At Mac) Ctrl+F2

For me the real use for Ctrl+F2 (mac) is to focus on menu.

In fact, there is no a direct way to focus on menu via any shortcut at less you hack a little this function:

Looking at my AppleMenu>SystemPreferences…>Keyboard>Keyboard&TextInput i noticed a mees created after i’ve installed adobe apps:

My older setting was: Just activated “MoveFocusToTheMenuBar” (Ctrl+F2) and “MoveFocusToTheDock” (Ctrl+F3)

My newer setting (I don’t know what has moved my preferences) was: Everything activated but my two shortcuts.

By the way, i’ve found a sort of fix for this boring CS6 issue. It could work for some one who uses the shortcut in the way i do:

In order to “activate” the right behavior for Ctrl+F2 (on Mac: Focus on MenuBar) using Photoshop and/or Illustrator you most to press Ctrl+F3 and without pressing Ctrl, then press F2, the events will occur in this manner: First, you will see, as usually, popping up the Dock, and Second, the focus on menu behavior, ready to be controlled by arrows.

Other way to activate the Ctrl+F2 classic behavior in Photoshop is pressing by a few seconds the shortcut: Ctrl+F2 by two seconds.

Hope this helps while people at Adobe prepares the fix.

• By Darbo Scalante - 10:06 PM on September 26, 2012

Hope this helps while people at Adobe prepares the fix.

• By Doug - 7:52 AM on December 13, 2012

I rely on Ctrl+F2 heavily in order to access the Photoshop menus with a keyboard. Adobe is overriding a built-in OS accessibility keyboard shortcut. This is a problem to people who rely on the keyboard. I’ll post in the forum so Adobe gets some feedback.

• By Scott Weaver - 8:50 AM on March 30, 2013

How does one restore to the default if one makes the brightness adjustment: “Shift + F1 will darken the appearance of Photoshop CS6’s interface by one step. Shift + F2 will brighten the interface by one step.”?

I did this not realizing it would globally adjust everything, including the image you’re working on. I only had wanted to adjust the background grey darker or lighter, and not also adjust my image files?

• By Scott Weaver - 8:58 AM on March 30, 2013

How can I restore back to the default if I’ve used the Shift + F1 or F2 option?

I did this not realizing it would globally change the screen brightness, not just the background brightness. This seems to override my calibration as well.

Thank you!