by Julieanne Kost

 Comments (3)


September 12, 2012

When adding a Solid Color stroke to a shape layer in Photoshop, I achieved the results that I expected. However when I added a Gradient stroke to a shape layer, I was surprised at the results. Photoshop is drawing a gradient and then clipping it to appear within the width of the stroke. Of course you can change the look of the gradient by changing the style (Linear, Radial etc) but if you want a gradient to be applied either along a stroke or across a stroke, then you might need to step into Illustrator. The following graphic shows the different ways that Photoshop and Illustrator can apply strokes to shapes.


  • By PECourtejoie - 5:27 AM on September 12, 2012  

    Unless I’m mistaken, the 3rd AI gradient, across stroke can be replicated using the Shape burst option for the gradient stroke.

  • By Dave Stelmach - 10:58 AM on September 12, 2012  

    Hey Julieanne:

    I love all your tips, but can’t you get a similar effect in PS by using Bevel & Emboss with a gradient instead of a stroke?

    • By Julieanne Kost - 2:52 PM on September 12, 2012  

      Good idea Dave! I didn’t think of that.